A villain like Ultron

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Zhadow, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Wheeljackie

Wheeljackie He will set us free

They could do something similar to Ultron with Nemesis Prime/Scourge. I thought Lockdown was cool.

2. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I enjoyed Ultron, but Lockdown takes the win for me.

3. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    Loki is a buffoon, but thats his gimmick. They are ok as characters, but they don't work for me as main villains.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    So main villains can't be characters? They can't be more than two dimensional cardboard cut-outs?

5. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    No, thats not what I am saying. I just don't find them threatening as villains. They never feel like they pose a real danger.

6. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HAHAHAHAHA!!! As if a transformers movie would ever spend enough time on character development to give a villain a personality like Ultrons.

7. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    Though Ultron was pretty 2 dimensional. Aside from the one liners all he was about was killing all humans.

8. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I must of missed how he's a buffoon, he was just beat when he planned things out.

Lockdown did have personality and emotions, everyone of them did, what they haven't had is a robotic emotionless bad guy.

There hasn't been some automated super robots that are working on pure programming and aren't making choices from situation to situation, the Decepticons even were hiding purposely like they cared about it.

Ultron never wanted to kill all humans he wanted to kill everything, he was perfectly fine working with humans to achieve the goals so no he wasn't all about killing humans.

9. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

I'd actually like Megatron to be charismatic like Ultron. He'd be scary because he'd have a really magnetic personality, and he'd know exactly how to appeal to people, but everything he'd say would just be, like Prime said in Chaos Theory, "steeped in hate". Just like real life fascistic rulers.

Hell, Hitler was downright likable if you looked past the whole "Kill all Jews and conquer the world!" thing.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    This is so true.

I'd rather have a charismatic quip making Megatron than a sad sack of shit Megatron.

11. Dotmshockwave

Dotmshockwave Senior Robotic Citizen

News Credits:
    If Megatron was like Ultron then I would be totally down for that, as long as Frank Welker voiced him it would be awesome. I would much rather have that then the current Megatron that gets about 5-6 lines in per movie...

12. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

For me ultron was rather immature.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    This - a big problem with Megatron/Galvatron is that it's just kind of the exact same 'ol shit whenever they're on screen. Angry grunting, 'we must *do the plot related objective' yadda yadda, then inevitably trade blows with Optimus before running off before finishing the job (the one exception being the ROTF Forest battle where he does finish the job).

Bottom line: it's repetitive and boring.

Now, given the thread topic, how is Ultron any better? Simple: he has personality which is helped in part by what has to have been motion capture off of James Spader as there are a few parts in AoU where Ultron's body language is dead-on Spader. But more than that, it's just the fact Ultron isn't a raging, psychopathic murder machine 100% of the time - seriously, when the main bad guy of a film
    says things like "humans end up making the things they despise the most...they make little versions of themselves, oh what's the word...CHILDREN! Yeah, that's what I meant!" and "Oh, come on, guys!"
    , he becomes entertaining for the audience. Which, in the movie format, is critical aspects of characterization the TF films have consistently failed to do with regards to Megatron in any form.

14. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Not really. His plan was to speed up the evolution process of humanity by insane means, not because of some vendetta against them, but because he hypothesized that they would go extinct without a means of evolving. He also showed more emotion than half of the Avengers, and when SW and QS left him, you could plainly see how he he felt betrayed emotionally. Even his last meeting with Scarlet Widow showed that he cared deeply about his allies -regardless of betrayal - when he told her to escape. Then there was his disgust with his similarities to Stark, etc. - it was all to show he was more human than he let on. Sadly he appeared less and less by the time he got his new body, and a lot of potential might have been wasted, but Ultron is far from a 2 dimensional character. At least to Marvel standards.

15. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    Definitely. Outside of a few characters in the movies, not many characters are both entertaining or memorable.

16. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Of only Transformers got the kind of character development that Ultron did.

Hopefully after the movie's success and praise, it will help influence that change.

17. JirwemTheGreat

JirwemTheGreat Multiversal Singularity

I read EVERY PAGE of this thread looking for a quote like this! I feel like alot of people missed the point of Ultron being portrayed how he was in the film: Because that's how most real villains are! He's charismatic, straightforward, and really wants to do what he thinks is best (keyword:"what he thinks is best"). He has personallity, relatability, and purpose that -- in the end -- make him seem like he has good intentions. The fact is, no matter how evil someone like Ultron's or Hitler's goals may be, there's a reason they have loyal followers.
    I wouldn't necessarily want Ultron's type of personallity for Megatron, but my God, he can't be someone who kicks puppies as a hobby and eats baby seals as an occupation! Show that there's a reason people like Soundwave follow him besides "they're all evil and sadistic in the same way"!

18. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    Agreed.

I don't think evil and sadistic is a bad thing but it needs more pizzazz as personality to really sell you.

19. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Trying to convince some one with that dead set in their mind is useless even thought it's all I the movie.

He wanted to take out this world then build a better safer one with life forms of his creation.

20. Nubs

Nubs Master-D

If we got a villain who was deliberately written in the same style as Joss Whedon, Transformers would be dead to me. Granted, Ultron was the best character in a movie filled with walking, talking mannequins, but it's not the best idea to take inspiration from Joss Whedon in any way.