A/V receivers - future/past compatibility, component inputs, questions/suggestions?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Alpha Omega Trion Supreme, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    My Yamaha RX-V367 5.1 receiver is in the process of dying. I guess it's old now. If I turn it off, I have a heck of a time trying to get it to power up and accept HDMI input. It also occasionally turns itself off. So I'm in the market for a new receiver. However, I am running into some issues that I was hoping members here could help. I currently have my PS4, Xbox 360, cable box, Wii, PS2 and an old desktop computer hooked up to it.

Pretty much what I want is component input function for the receiver for my Wii and PS2, but that's something that's becoming a legacy input. There are two receivers at Best Buy that have component input, both are not on the cheap end. There's the Denon and the Onkyo. Denon is supposedly high end, but I've never heard of either. Looking at the back of each unit, the Onkyo only offers HDMI out, and in the little bit of googling I did suggests its upscaling any analog signal. I think the Denon does it too but has more options, but is also more expensive. Denon has a component out, but are the new TVs out there still accepting that?

So I'm looking for suggestions for anyone that has a setup that is looking towards the future while still supporting the past. I'm eventually going to be buying a new TV too. What are you using for your set up? Is it 4k compliant? Opinions on the Denon/Onkyo's on the market? Other suggestions?

Currently I'm thinking about just buying an old identical/same-ish receiver off ebay.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I've never used either, but I recognize Onkyo as one of the companies supporting the audiophile market. They even have their own high-definition music store.

If you wanna use your game consoles via component in the long run, you may need to either find specialized digitizers for the Wii and PS2, or invest in a low-latency upscaler like the OSSC or a Framemeister. That way you have an HDMI source and it won't matter what receiver you use. I know there's at least one inexpensive digitizer for the Wii. I'd imagine there's one for the PS2 also.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Both Denon and Onkyo are good but you can get cheaper if you go online and purchase rather than walking into a store. The main thing is to find one that does good 4K pass through and is compatible with DOLBY ATMOS.

Do you have a Nebraska Furniture Mart nearby? They have the largest selection of receivers that you can see, touch and hear. Ultimate Electronics, Best Buy and Circuit City all used to have great selections but there's an increasing push to market out soundbars instead and use the television as the receiver. To be frank, that's really not a bad option unless you plan to also use your system to listen to music via CD or turntable (or, shudder, cassette).

In the end, you'll probably just need to break out the old composite cables for the Wii and PS2. I know there are HDMI converter cables for the Wii and PS2 on Amazon, though. So, you could just buy the receiver you want and spend an extra $30 for the cables.

• Like Like x 1
  4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Or unless you like to keep a ton of shit hooked up at once like I (and AOTS, evidently) do. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    I have Yamaha receivers and am pretty happy with them. They are a couple generations old now - they have the 4K pass through but no Atmos.

I got a “Wii to HDMI” converter for the Wii. Most receivers don’t convert component to HDMI and I didn’t want to mess with changing inputs. I didn’t notice any decrease in quality with it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    I saw those "Wii to HDMI" converters, but some reviews I read said that it messed with the audio. Hrmm seems like there's a version of it for the PS2 too. Might have to re-look at these.

I'm browsing the manual for the Denon right now and it sounds like it has the option to convert the component to HDMI while giving scaling options. Wish I could find a review of it which deals specifically with these aspects.