A unique BotCon set idea...

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by General Tekno, Feb 11, 2008.

1. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    I just thought this idea up in another thread. I'm sure there's been countless threads about this sort of thing, but hear me out.

In the Botcon 08 thread over in News and Rumors right now, someone made the point Botcon has to be a set fans want.

So, why not do a set that's a "Best of the Web" - as in creating representations of favorite Transformers photocomic/fancharacters based off existing molds, with new paintjobs done with input from the creators?

Mind you, I don't know who would end up in said set - though I'd nominate Megabolt from Shane's Comics and Bob from Funness on a Stick as candidates. (Of course, Bob would just be a repaint of some other mold in Build Tiger colors, but still).

2. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I second, the more creative the better. Obviously, their ideas (fun publications) have gotten a little stale.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Macromaster figures

4. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I always wanted them to do a set with the Energon figures based on old G1 combiners... like Inferno and Hot Shot as Hot Spot and Streetwise, or Rodimus and Downshift and Motormaster and Dead End. It would also be a good chance to bring in some others from Japan, like Energon Skyblast would make a nice Leozack, especially given both use a spear for their weapon. You'd also have a very nice chance to do a new Nemesis Prime out of Energon Optimus, but without the trailer and drones, instead an Energon Wing Saber remold/repaint into Dreadwing or Thunderwing.

5. dragontron88

dragontron88 Your new Lord, & Master

were coming up on the 10th anni. of Beast Machines so I'm hoping we can get some Transtech figs, or some kinda tribute to Beast machines the way they did with the Dawn of futures past set for 2009

6. General Tekno

News Credits:
    If we got Beast Machines next year (is that the 10th anniversary?) I'd have to definitely go.

There's a lot of BM molds I don't own - and they've certainly left that door open with the ending of Dawn of Future's Past. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Beast Machines set down the road - perhaps with Leobreaker as Razorclaw, hopefully a Night Slash Cheetor repaint as regular BM Cheetor, some Jungle Planet molds (they haven't been used much for BotCon yet, after all) and hopefully Obsidian and Strika repaints.

7. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's a small problem with that idea, not everyone would agree with what would be picked. Even if it were a simple vote. At least for the set that is, I could see a single figure being made based on the fans choosing it.

Remember, we're TFans. We almost never agree on most things TF.

8. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, I believe the tenth ann. is actually 2010. 2009 is, however, the 25th ann. of G1. So I'd expect a classics set for BC.

9. General Tekno

News Credits:
    It WOULD be hard to pick, I'll acknowledge.

Though I kinda have to admit I'm secretly motivated by a desire to get the Megabolt mold reissued.

Hopefully Hasbro does a Beast Machines 10th Anniversary. Release Nightslash Cheetor repainted, Blackarachnia, Deluxe Jetstorm, basic Thrust and Tankor in a set, Megabolt in show-accurate colors for the head, and an Optimus Primal figure - possibly, if necessary, the deluxe with a heavily redone paintjob that makes it a bit closer to show-accurate.

10. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 PlastiqueBoutique.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    oooooh! A set that could deptict the G.I. Joe/TF crossovers, with some repainted 25th Joe's to go with them. They could have JoeCon & BotCon together. One can dream, one can only dream...:D ream:

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    You know what would be cool is a set based off charecters from season 3 like.

Broadside (Tidal Wave)
    Runamuck (Cybertron Runamuck)
    Kup (Anmated Optimus Prime Somone suggested that)
    Trpyticon (Cybertron Scourge)
    Zombie Prime (Classics Optimus retool)

12. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

My *ONLY* Problem is our fandom is notoriously bad about "WE WANT THIS, LISTEN TO TEH FAAAAAAANZ" and then we get what we want and a ton of the fans say "TOOO MUCH MONIEZ! NOOOOOOOO" and then don't follow through with it.

So having a vote, and then having BOTCON or TFCC having commit financial resources to making it live only to have them lose money or having it fail is simply unreasonable.

If there is a business case that will break even where TFCC could make more exclusives, I bet they would be up for it. But I don't think there is right now.

Now the only way I could see it being safe for the people at TFCC is for anyone voting to be committing to buy the set REGARDLESS of what wins. That is the only way to end up with enough people committing to agree to purchase the set so it breaks even.

Make it like 200$ a year, and the set will be the top 5 characters.

13. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    I liked the Combiner Homage idea with the Energon Autobots, that was pretty cool.
    As far as i'm concerned, Universe Night Slash Cheetor is close enough that I don't want an "even closer" repaint of it in an expensive boxset. PERIOD. (to quote the kitty)

14. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

I like that idea. :)  And hey, since the first wave of Universe molds would be available by then, they could release a repainted Powerglide as a Rattler and Onslaught as a Warthog.

I know, it'll never happen, but it's still a fun idea. :) 

15. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:

I'd be all over some of that :) 

Definitely Broadside. By Runamuck, you mean the white one, right? If i recall, the black one was runabout, and named Runamuck in Cybertron. I would be all over that! (in fact if i ever get around to it, i have a spare runamuck i had planned on painting...)
    Kup from animated Cyb mode Prime with a mullet-less A-Hoist head. GOLD.
    Trypticon - meh...
    Zombie Prime - again, meh. I have 3 of that mold already. Plus i don't know if anyone can beat TransTorturer's custom MP Prime from the end of Dark Awakening. That thing is so awesome, i see pics of it everyday on my work's screensaver :) 

16. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

I think this I dea has a lot of merit I really like it

17. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've really got to think about my reco for Botcon this year. However, I think I'd like to see more Botcon Gobots like Bugbite. Transformers actually fighting the Gobots sounds even better.

18. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I wouldn't mind a Leader-One, Scooter and Turbo...

Go-bots do fit into the TF multiverse now that they have been absorbed by hasbro.

19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm a simple fan, with simple tastes.

I like newer molds repainted as G1 characters, just like last year. I'd be happy if every year gave me just that.

20. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Tidal Wave as Broadside. Awesome!