A transformer fan director ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by sevenlima, Dec 18, 2019.

1. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    A movie director need to be a transformer fan to direct the movies ?

2. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

I don't want a "fan director." I want someone who can make entertaining Transformers movies.

If anything, I'd prefer for directors to NOT be Transformers fans.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Terrellatron

Terrellatron REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR

News Credits:
    Travis Knight was a fan director though and looked how amazing that turned out

• Like Like x 2
  4. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Do they need to be a fan? No, I wouldn't say so. The idea of a Transformers movie directed by a really talented non-fan intrigues me. Imagine having a Transformers movie by someone like Alex Garland (director of Ex Machina). It could be a really unique and out-of-the-box take on Transformers.

That much being said, I feel like Hasbro will look for fans (or at least people who have some nostalgia for the franchise) for the foreseeable future. They tend to do that with the cartoons, comics, and games already. I honestly can't think of a lot of Transformers stories that aren't by fans (none off the top of my head, actually, aside from Bay's work). I suspect Hasbro will want more creative security in the movies after TLK's failure.

On a personal level, I'd like a mix. Maybe a safe nostalgic "Bumblebee-style" movie by a director who grew up with Transformers, and then something more out there and risky by a non-fan director. And then something safer again, and so on. That would keep the movies from falling into a rut or formula, but would also keep the series appealing to fans.

• Like Like x 3
  5. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    No.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Is Bumblebee a cute little one-off family film? Absolutely. Is it preferable to Bayformers as a Transformers film? Meh. It depends on what you're looking for in a Transformers film.

I think Bay and Knight both have equally valid ways of approaching Transformers. If anything, while neither is a perfect TF film or series of films, I would prefer the ups and downs of Bayformers as a series of films over a series of Bumblebee-like films.

Too many fans don't like Transformers fiction to take risks. Bayformers was not at its best when it tried to stay within fandom comfort zones. The opposite was the case. Many of the BEST creative decisions in Bayverse were decisions that pissed many people off, because those were often the decisions that resulted in more interesting character work or even grounded the core concepts of the brand a little more. If fans were pissed off or divided by something in Transformers, then that's Shrektastic!

Division is not only not bad; it's a great thing and necessary for the existence of life, human or otherwise. Respectful division in a fandom is much more preferable than unification, because unification means nobody is thinking for themselves.

• Like Like x 5
  7. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You don't necessarily need to be a fan but you do need to have vision for what you are going for and execute it.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    No, he was a director first, fan second.

The defining difference is being able to tell an effective story first, having a respectful additude toward the franchise second.

• Like Like x 6
  9. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    No, they just have to be educated about the Transformers: who they are, what they do, and the history of the brand. Even Michael Bay got that privilege. Next question?

10. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
    Not need, but should. I don't want a guy with no familiarity of Transformers' rich 35 year history making Transformers movies. But again, I also don't want *being a fan* as the mere criteria for getting the director's seat.

11. JohnStartop

JohnStartop There will only be one.

People on this forum who say they care about the quality of the film more than whether the director is the fan are just saying that because they consider Bayverse to be quality films. Most people consider 2007 and DotM to be good films, and they do have a degree of passion behind them, but for the most part, regardless of your personal opinion, people just don't identify with the overall series. Travis Knight is a huge fan but still told a cohesive story. It may not be a spectacular story, but it was competent, yet that's not always going to happen. You can be a fan and still make a bad film. The most important factor isn't whether the director is passionate about Transformers but whether they are passionate about their own vision. Michael Bay didn't want to return after DotM and was coerced to return each time, so no matter how much you care about AoE and TLK, he doesn't.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Sablebot

Sablebot #thinkitaintillegalyet

True-plus, Knight had made previous films proving his abilities at character development, storytelling, and world-building. . .

13. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He only had Kubo as his directorial debut.

Hope he keeps it up with Uncharted starring Tom Holland as Nathan Drake and Mark Wahlberg (?!) as Victor Sullivan. (And a movie called the Six Million Dollar Man)

14. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Still rooting for Alex Garland, though I know it’s a long shot.