A thread where we imagine a plausible Generations toyline

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Suboptimal Optimus, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Suboptimal Optimus

Suboptimal Optimus Burn it all down

This isn't speculation, really its closer to wishful thinking. However, with the success of the Prime Wars and the War for Cybertron trilogy the Generations line has grown and grown, going from something a bit more hodge podge in the older days to a fairly important 'main' line which tries to aim for both mainstream toyline and a collector toyline at the same time. This got me thinking about 'what if' toylines, with the caveat that it has to respect the general design, purpose, 'play pattern' and releases of recent toylines. Consider these some thought experiments which people are free to join in for shit and/or giggles.

TRANSFORMERS ODYSSEY TRILOGY
    Named after the 'Galactic Odyssey' box, this one is an idea for where the WFC sequel trilogy could go if they wanted to do more than just G1 rehash while also allowing for G1 rehash just fine. People have long speculated about a line which would touch upon Rid2001 and the Unicron Trilogy and this is that kind of line. Key points and ideas for the line:
    • Its a Generations line, continuing off where Kingdom will leave off. It would retain the same 5mm ports and effects plugs of the WFC trilogy and remain in the same scale range.
    • The line is a trilogy, with a semi-rotating set of figures from different planets of the Transformers universe, with a figure's associated planet being part of their package art, decoration and color schemes. This makes it a loose spiritual successor to the Galaxy Force/Cybertron toyline but it extend beyond it. Some planets/themes are there across the whole trilogy while others only there for an installment.

ODYSSEY PART ONE
    This line would continue off Kingdom and, as such, many of its ideas would remain. The Core Class continues here as does the animal theme, however the animal theme is associated with Animatron/Eukaris/Jungle Planet (pick the name you want), thus combining the G1 mechanical animals, Transmetals and Galaxt Force Animatron designs as one. According to Hasbro, they want to get rid of Titan Class and do two Commanders so this would be where this one goes. The planets are Earth (no gimmick in particular), Jungle Planet (mechanimals theme, sometimes with an extra mode) and Cybertron/Space (Scifi and space theme, very late G1 and Japanese G1 focused but also include the Velocitron space racer car theme).

CORE CLASS
    • Scattorshot: The Cybertron Autobot, not the combiner torso.
    • Goldbug Bumblebee: A new Bumblebee mold that is very clearly inspired by his Goldbug form but labelled as 'Bumblebee' for trademark and brand recognition.
    • Optimus Prime and Megatron: Reissues of the Kingdom version, maybe with a deco change on one of them? Gotta keep those trademarks.
    • Shockwave: Another classic character joining the Core class.
    • Venom: The Deluxe Insecticon, possibly given a different name due to trademarks.
    DELUXE CLASS
    • Pointblank: The targetmaster minus a partner (for now?), completing the Autobot Targetmasters.
    • Sureshot: Same thing.
    • Blurr (Armada): A retool of Pointblank into the Armada version of Blurr or maybe the Cybertron version if they feel less adventurous.
    • Ruckus: A retool/reshell of Pointblank into a more Earth-like buggy and into the Triggercon.
    • Cinderdaur/Flamefeather/Sparkstalker: Any one of the three. They are redesigned to have a more dynamic robot and beast mode but otherwise accurate to the G1 figure.
    • Demolishor: A retool/shared engineering of Siege Impactor as the Armada character.
    • Guzzle: A retool of the Demolishor/Impactor tooling.
    VOYAGER CLASS
    • Rampage: A remake of the Predacon Rampage. The crab one from Beast Wars, I mean.
    • Depthcharge: Completing the duo/rivalry with Rampage and adding another BW cast member from beyond season 1.
    • Jetfire (Trilogy): Any of the three Unicron trilogy design, meaning it could be labelled either an Earth or a Space figure depending on the design. His redeco is either another Jetfire or Galaxy Shuttle.
    • Blitzwing: A remake of the Generation 1 toy, which people who didn't like Titans Return version would no doubt buy. Goes with the Siege Astrotrain.
    • Sandstorm: A remake of the Generation 1 toy.
    LEADER CLASS
    • Megatron (Armada): A remake of the Armada toy, moose antlers and all. Gets a redeco as Armada Galvatron. Sold under the space branding thanks to the scifi tank design.
    • Optimus Prime (Laser Rod): The G2 Optimus Prime design with trailer. Scourge/Nemesis Prime is his obvious redeco.
    • Gigatron: The 2001 RID Megatron, here renamed to 'Gigatron' for trademark purposes and not being labelled as Megatron. Devil Gigatron/Galvatron is his SELECTS redeco.
    COMMANDER CLASS
    • Burning Justice Optimus Prime: Okay, the name is a bit of an old meme but the idea is that it is based off the 2001 RID Optimus Prime, with the fire truck mode and the super mode.
    • Tidal Wave: The big guy from Armada.

AND THE REST...
    Obviously there's more a to a whole trilogy, so here are a few ideas. The choice of characters and mold will make more sense if I explain the retools which would happen after the first toyline. These include the return of the Micromaster Class. The other planets introduced are:
    • A rework of the concept of the Giant Planet, with a theme on heavy duty construction vehicle with blocky scifi trappings and additional 5mm ports and adapters. These enable them to better interact with Micromasters and Weaponizer/Modulators/Fossilzer/whatever replace those.
    • The Micro Planet which is all about Micromasters and Mini-Cons.
    CORE CLASS
    • Barrage/Chop Shop/Ransack: The rest of the Deluxe Insecticons.
    DELUXE CLASS
    • Landfill: The Autobot targetmaster bring with him a very unique dump truck mode which will see use soon.
    • Heavy Load: A reshell of Landfill as the RID Autobot given a more heavy duty and reinforced tooling to make him more distinct.
    • Landmine: The Cybertron/Energon character and bulldozer.
    • Wedge: The RID Autobot and bulldozer, retooled from Landmine and given a more heavy duty and alien look.
    • Quake: A retool of Guzzle.
    • Fizzle: A retool of Ruckus.
    • Sizzle: Retooled from a suitable car bot deluxe.
    • Crankcase: A new deluxe van mold.
    • Ironfist: A retool of Crankcase.
    • Red Alert (Armada): Another retool of the Crankcase mold.
    • Getaway: A retool of Sureshot.
    • Slapdash: A retool of Siege Mirage.
    • Joyride: A retool of Ruckus.
    • Backstreet: A deluxe which turns into something inspired by a Le Mans racer.
    • Deluge and Tailspin: Recolors or retools of Backstreet.
    • Override: Not the fembot-thanks-to-the-dub but rather the Triggerbot.
    • Sideways: An intensive retool of Override with Titan Masters compatibility.
    • Nightbeat/Minerva/Siren: Two new deluxe molds which use Titan Master engineering.
    • Fangry/Squeezeplay/Horri-Bull: Three new deluxe molds which use Titan Master engineering.
    • Cinderdaur/Flamefeather/Sparkstalker: Any one of the remaining two. Last one is a SELECT or some bullshit exclusive to piss people off.
    VOYAGER CLASS
    • Blaster: Use the same casette setup as Siege Soundwave and is labelled as a Micro Planet figure due to its sizre shifting alt mode and micromaster interaction.
    • Hosehead: The Autobot headmaster and the only Voyager Titan Master figure.
    • Darkwing and Dreadwind: Remakes of the G1 toys which would potentially share engineering with Jetfire, depending which version that was.
    • Dogfight: A retool of Darkwing.
    • Needlenose: A second retool of Darking.
    • Noisemaze: The 'second form' of Sideways as an extensive retool of Dreadwind, completely reshelling the alt mode.
    • Soundwave (Planet X): A Cybertron-inspired version of Soundwave which can also use the micromasters.
    LEADER CLASS
    • Deathsaurus: While a beast planet figure, he has interaction with Micromasters via his Breastforce.
    And that's all I got so far but I think the idea is fleshed out enough to get the concept across. There's room for more Beast Wars or even Pretenders stuff under the Jungle planet label, Modulators and Minicons under the Giant Planet and Micro Planet and so on and so forth. More Micromaster-base-as-robots like Iron Works would go well under the Giant planet banner too.

• Like Like x 13
  2. optimusbee

optimusbee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. Suboptimal Optimus

• Like Like x 7
  4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Where do I sign up for this wonderful toyline?

5. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No Bayformers?

6. Blot

Blot The most disgusting of all Transformers.

News Credits:
    I'd like modern updates of some of the guys listed, but what I really would like to see is a true G3. Mostly new characters (with some redisigned mainstays if need be) in the general updated G1 style like modern generations.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Studio Series 85 + 87
    Bots from S2+4 in cartoon accurate style, like seekers that resemble more closely the style of the MP version, Alpha Trion, the Headmasters
    Studio Series Japan
    Fan favorites from the Japan exclusive cartoons
    Studio Series Comicverse
    Fan favorite designs of Dreamwave and IDW or Marvel comic repaints

• Like Like x 1
  8. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd definitely support the idea of a Galactic Odyssey sort of thing using Unicron Trilogy planets because if they included Velocitron it'd be a great way to get new figures of Override and Knockout in CHUG/G1 style, based on their IDW designs. This would be the perfect chance to finally get an Armada Wheeljack retool from Siege Sideswipe too.

For IDW bots I really hope we get a new Drift too, preferably one based on his Cybertronian form but I'd be cool with a new Earth mode figure of him as long as it has better leg/ankle articulation than the Generations one. He should ideally be sized as a Deluxe but sold as a Voyager like SS86 Hot Rod so that he can have excellent articulation and include plenty of weapons. It could probably even work as an extensive retool of Hot Rod, at least if they used his Cybertronian form. There'd of course be repaints/retools into Deadlock and SG Drift.

I hope they don't finish up with the Beast Era until they give us new Vehicons, or at the very least a new Jetstorm. If nothing else he at least deserves a retool of Kingdom Cyclonus, but a new mold would be ideal.

I'd love a new Slipstream figure, which I think could work as a retool of ER Starscream with a new head, torso, and limbs (similar to what the Coneheads got) and new wings (maybe Thrusts's).

Lastly, I'll always push for a G1 toy-inspired Jetfire anywhere it could fit. What I'd really like would be something using a similar style transformation to the original toy (maybe based on the Maverick figure's engineering) but styled like his IDW designs; ideally basically the T30 figure but better articulated and with a better transformation (I don't mind the faux cockpit itself so much as I mind having the entire nosecone/cockpit just lazily hanging off his back), and probably a little smaller due to decreasing Leader class size and all the accessories he'd need to come with.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    There are still so many repaints I want to see out of the WFC trilogy and characters I wanted to see that never came to fruition and even more characters I want to see.

The use of the Horrorcons gives me hope Hasbro will continue to use Titans Return engineering to give us more Headmasters: Nightbeat, Loudmouth(Siren), Hosehead, Fangry, Squeezeplay/Crashbash, & Horri/Terri-Bull with a Generations Selects Minerva coming out of Nightbeat & Loudmouth. I've always thought you could reengineer the Chromedome mold or at least take cues from the mold to make Nightbeat & Siren.

I want to see the Cliffjumper mold use again to give us Tap Out & Bumblebee used to give us Glyph. They could make a new Throttlebot mold that shares engineering from Cliffjumper & the Battlechargers, release Goldbug & Chase in the mainline then retool them to give us Freeway & Searchlight in a two pack. Rollbar & Wideload would be their own molds.

Bring back the Battlemasters to give us updates to Recoil & Haywire for Studio Series Kup & Blurr then do a deluxe Pointblank & Sureshot and give us their Targetmasters in that subline. Voyager wise repaint Inferno into Artfire and give us a Hauler repaint from Grapple in the Generations Selects line to boot.

With the leaked Deep Cover you can still get more use out of the Sideswipe mold such as Clamp Down but you can also get an Armada Wheeljack & Shattered Glass Sideswipe as well. Continuing with the Diaclone train repaint the rumored Kingdom Tracks into Road Rage & Ultra Magnus into Delta Magnus.

I'd love for more Seekers, give us a new deluxe Windblade and retool her into Slipstream. More Starscream repaints, Sunstorm, Hotlink, Bitstream, Nacelle, G2 Starscream, Action Master Thundercracker, & hell give us Ghost Starscream.

Continue Kingdom and give us the rest of the Beast Wars cast, a deluxe Terrorsaur(retooled from Airazor), Tarantulas, & Quickstrike as well as a voyager Rampage, Silverbolt, & Inferno.

Other characters I'd like to see updated in the CHUG line includes Cybertron Override & Thunderblast and Prime Bulkhead & Knock Out.

Retool a new Pointblank into Getaway and Sureshot into Joyride, then give Slapdash a new mold and BOOM the Powermasters will be done. Still waiting on Hasbro to give us a new Landfill & Quickmix to complement the Thrilling 30 Scoop especially since we've had some form of Spinister, Needlenose, & Quake for a while.

Bring back the POTP evolution leader figures to update Star Saber, give us a voyager Victory Leo that can combine with him and then do a leader Deathsaurus to complement him. Hell I'd take a deluxe Esmeral & Lyzack from the Victory manga as well.
    Besides I'm sure the POTP evolution concept could also probably work in giving us a new Thunderclash & Machine Wars Optimus Prime. And after reading Last Stand of the Wreckers for the first time I'm in need of an Ironfist.

Was watching the Basics on Flamewar today and realized I'd like to see a mainline deluxe Flamewar & Flareup.

Lastely I wish to see some new Primes, I was hoping for them in Power of the Primes but was extremely let down especially with how much I love Megatronus Prime's design in the Machinima cartoon. Give us that in either a voyager or leader size class as well as a new Vector Prime, Solus Prime, do a Combiner Wars styled boxset and boom Nexus Prime. I'd also like a Maccadam where I don't have to buy eight figures I don't want to build him.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Ditko

Ditko Well-Known Member

I mostly want WFC and G1 to continue, but as an evolution rather than a redo. Can't say I have any waves planned, but some Powermasters including Optimus is a start and a (HasLab?) Metroplex. Get Star Saber, Thunderwing, Overlord etc in there at some point. Then look at G2, Laser Rod Prime, but also guys like Jhiaxus and his army, Dreadwing etc. There's plenty to make, but not enough meat for a full trilogy so fill in other spots with UT or Beasts. And of course, synthesize some new characters.

That's my wish and if Hasbro just took a little chance with some of the Japanese and '87+ plus stuff it could totally happen. My other interest would be seeing some of the Milne and Ramondelli artwork getting WFC style figures, but seems like IDW is pretty much yesterday's news.

11. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    i like the idea of Galactic Odyssey/Galaxy force becoming a mainline but im gonna take a slightly different approach. each wave based on a different "Colony World"

wave 1: Velocitron
    Core: Velocitron Ransack, Autobot Fizzle, Decepticon Decepticharge
    Deluxe: Veloicitron Override, Autobot Braver, Autobot Laster, Decepticon Knockout
    Voyager: Autobot Blacker, Velocitron Crumplezone
    Leader: Decepticon "Galaxy Upgrade" Megatron (a voyager-ish sized g1 Megatron core with armor based on the Cybertron design)

wave 2: Nebulos
    Core (battlemaster vs packs!): Peacemaker vs Sunbeam, Spoilsport vs Zigzag
    Deluxe: Autobot Pointblank, Autobot Sureshot, Decepticon Needlenose , Decepticon Fangry with Brisko
    Voyager: Autobot Hosehead with Lug, Decepticon Squeezeplay with Lokos and Battlemaster Browning
    Leader: Autobot Nightbeat with Muzzle vs Decepticon Horri-Bull with Kreb

wave 3: Eukaris
    Core: Decepticon Flamefeather, Eukaran Backstop, Autobot Catilla
    Deluxe: Autobot Chainclaw, Decepticon Carnivac, Decepticon Snarler, Eukaran Snarl
    Voyager: Autobot Leobreaker, Eukaran Scourge
    Leader: Autobot Victory Leo (hmmmm what's he doing here?)

Wave 4: Combatron, The Apocalypse Planet
    Core: Autobot Guzzle, Decepticon Jallugar, Combatron Flintlock & Silencer (battlemaster 2 pack)
    Deluxe: Autobot Ironfist, Combatron Bayonet(the vampire helicopter chick from Infestation), Autobot Landfill, Decepticon Fulcrum
    Voyager: Decepticon Leozack, Autobot Pyro
    Leader: Decepticon Blue Bacchus

Commander Class: Autobot Star Saber (why else would I put Victory Leo in this line?)
    Titan Class: Combatron Superweapon Majin Zarak

y'all like Galactic Odyssey? get ready for part 2 "Temporal Iliad" each wave based on a different Time Period

Wave 1: The Past/Hearts of Steel (it's been a while since we've seen the 84 cast, time to renew some trademarks)
    Core: Bumblebee, Ravage, Squalkbox
    Deluxe: Scourge, Ironhide, Prowl, Soundwave
    Voyager: Optimus Prime, Starscream
    Leader: Shockwave, Insecti-Train 3-pack

Wave 2: The Present (filling in holes from the 84-85 cast)
    Core: Decepticon Overkill/Slugfest, Decepticon Buzzsaw/Autoscout
    Deluxe: Decepticon Ransack, Decepticon Barrage, Autobot Camshaft, Autobot Downshift
    Voyager: Decepticon Chopshop (deluxe) vs Autobot Alana(core), Autobot Quickmix with Ricochet & Boomer
    Leader: Autobot Overdrive vs Decepticon Venom

Wave 3: The Future (NEW CHARACTERS IN MY GEEWUN?! SCANDALOUS)
    Core: Autobot Sizzle, Decepticon Sparkstalker, Insecticon Bob
    Deluxe: Quintesson Prosecutor, Headmaster Sunstreaker with Hunter, Decepticon Lockdown, Autobot Stardrive (Silver Solstar Knight flavored)
    Voyager: Decepticon Airachnid, Autobot Bulkhead
    Leader: Decepticon Blackout

Commander: Deathsaurus
    Titan: Autobot Raiden

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  12. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    What do you mean by this?

• Like Like x 1
  13. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    either
    A: by the time my proposed trilogy gets around to part 2 it will have been a while since hasbro has done the big name 84 cast
    B: its a sarcastic commentary on how Hasbro cant go 5 minutes without forcing more 84 cast down our throats

• Like Like x 4
  14. Suboptimal Optimus

I think if Hasbro wanted to keep the '84 cast around they could do a thing where they are alternate version of the character with a new alt mode. Essentially the toyline would focus on their new characters or G1/G2 lads which haven't got a CHUG figure yet post-T30. Kind of like Transformers Cloud where Shockwave was a repainted Whirl.

15. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Something to make almost everyone happy. I'd add a Hasbro Pulse release of RiD Prime in yellow, representing the Sam's Club release version. But otherwise, Hasbro should make this exact toyline.

16. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    So picture this:

Hasbro and Takara just made a toy-line where anything goes. No anniversary, theme or celebration, just.. any character, any era, no limits.

Oh wait, this is for 'plausible' ideas. Nevermind. :( 

• Like Like x 1
  17. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Good list. I'd make Rampage and Depth Charge both leaders, Tidal Wave a Titan, and insert a voyager Armada Starscream mold w/all the repaints.

18. Tigatron01

Tigatron01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    based on there height, bulk, there accessories, and the fact that they both wore there entire beast modes as huge backpacks that essentially doubled there mass. They would both need to be commanders

19. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I'd take Commanders of them too.

• Like Like x 1
  20. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    A pretty stupid idea of mine...

War for Cybertron Trilogy: Micron

Continuing as the 4th chapter of the Generations WFC Trilogy after Kingdom, Micron is a toyline in celebration of the 20th anniversary of Transformers: Armada. Similar to the mixed character lineup featured in Kingdom, this subline is generally split between characters from Armada/Micron Legend and some miscellaneous late G1 and BW characters such as Turbomasters, Targetmasters, Powermasters, etc.

Different to previous sublines, the featured Armada characters featured in each wave follows an order following said character's first appearance in the Armada/Micron Legend cartoon. It would retain the same 5mm ports and effects plugs of the previous WFC trilogy toys and remain in the same scale range, with the exception of replacing Core class with Micron class ( 2-packs featuring Mini-cons appeared in Armada/Micron Legend cartoon), the return of Mini-con ports and some deluxe featuring 3-pack mini-con teams (Who can combine fo either form a large weapon or a large Deluxe-sized combiner).

Figures of Armada characters at higher price points (With exceptions) above Voyager-class would include 1 Mini-Con partner, and each figure above Micron class would also include effect parts.

Battlemasters remains and still includes effect parts, but focusing only on target-master partners of pre-existing G1 Targetmaster characters.

Titan Class is omitted, in flavour of allowing 2 Commander Class figures to be developed.

Wave 1
    • BattleMaster: Nightstick (For Kingdom Cyclonus), Recoil (For SS 86 Kup)
    • Micron Class: Jolt & Longarm, Blackout & Crumple-zone
    • Deluxe Class: Hot Shot, Demolishor, Cyclonus, Street Action Mini-Con Team (Perceptor), Air Defense Mini-Con Team (Star Saber)
    • Voyager Class: Red Alert, Starscream
    • Leader Class: Megatron (With Leader-1), Optimus Prime (With SparkPlug)
    Wave 2
    • Battlemaster: Spoilsport (For "Micron" Sureshot),
    • Micron Class: Swindle vs Incinerator, Liftor & Rollbar
    • Deluxe Class: Smokescreen, Blurr, Turbomaster Boss, Targetmaster Sureshot, Race Mini-Con Team (Skyboom Shield)
    • Voyager Class: Sideways (With Rook & Crosswise), Scavenger
    • Leader Class: Predator Skyquake
    Wave 3
    • Micron Class: Nightbeat & Refute, Windsheer & Inferno
    • Deluxe Class: Thrust, Wheeljack, Side-Swipe, Hoist, Space Mini-Con Team (Requiem Blaster)
    • Voyager Class: Predator Stalker, BW Terrorsaur
    • Leader Class: Jetfire (With Comettor), Turbomaster Thunderclash
    • Commander Class: Tidal Wave (With Ramjet)
    Wave 4
    • Battlemasters: Peacemaker (For "Micron" Pointblank)
    • Micron Class: Swindle (Powerlinx ver) vs Over-Run
    • Deluxe Class: Hot Shot (Powerlinx ver), Targetmaster Pointblank, Predator Talon, G1 Skids
    • Voyager Class: Red Alert (Powerlinx ver), Starscream (Powerlinx ver)
    • Leader Class: Galvatron (With Leader-1), Optimus Prime (Powerlinx ver, with Sparkplug)
    • Commander Class: Overload (With Roll-Out)
    Generations Selects releases
    • Deluxe Class: Powermaster Slapdash, Turbomaster Scorch (ER Trailbreaker repaint/retool), Demolishor (Powerlinx ver), G1 Crosscut
    • Voyager Class: Machine Wars Soundwave (Predator Stalker repaint/retool), Skywarp (Armada Starscream repaint)
    • Leader Class: Machine Wars Optimus Prime (Thunderclash repaint)
    • Multi-Packs: Predator Skydive & Snare 2-pack, Targetmaster Artfire (Kingdom Inferno repaint) & Art-Stick 2-pack, Lift-Ticket & Burn Out 2-pack

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1