A thought to keep windows on packaging as plastic is eliminated.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by RodimusRex, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The other black repaint

News Credits:
    @oisinrc has just touched on this, but the difference is quite obvious. Plastic packaging is designed to be thrown away immediately. Toys are designed to be enjoyed for some time. Single-use vs very much not that.

If you want to have a discussion about banning plastic toys, I’m open to that, but I’d suggest this forum isn’t likely the venue for it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. troglodyteman217

troglodyteman217 Doritoscream fangirl

News Credits:
    directly below the enemy scrotum AKA Greece
    I bought my Tarantulas with a popped off arm. Only bought him because he was the only one on the shelf.
    20220917_132659.jpg

I've seen Blasters with scratches all over, a stolen Skids and the usual headless Bulkheads. I legit wish they just pass on the windows altogether or back the figures in vehicle mode.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Taskmaster S

Taskmaster S Well-Known Member

The power rangers zord figures have closed boxes and look really cool on the shelf. Meanwhile transformers open boxs make figures look cheaper in quality. Like shatter glass ultra Magnus is so tiny in his box and he's a 50 dollar toy.

I wish they just used closed boxes with holes similar to the creatures collide set.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Terrorpin

Terrorpin Well-Known Member

I think a hybrid would work best. All you would need is a dot of velcro on each top corner and a flap that pulls down and reveals part of the toy. The old Commemorative Series used to have these. Granted, they were a full window, but I don't see why a partial one wouldn't work. Especially since it gets rid of that cheap look and gives us the option to see what we buy beforehand, and the In-box collectors still have the ability to show off their toys.

5. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

If they go windowless, we need assurance figure wasn’t swapped...some kind of tape that can’t be duplicated that we know when it’s cut.

6. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Anubicron TFW2005 Supporter

A plastic of organic origin should be created, effectively biodegradable.

7. Thwipthwip

Thwipthwip Well-Known Member

I'm not against no window as I buy MP and they've been doing it with Gamestop exclusives. I usually just let it go if there's a tiny defect (paint, scratch).

I wonder if it's hurting their sales so far? The Marvel Legends packing now looks like the kids aisle packaging.

8. Gee Won 1984

Gee Won 1984 Mandatory Stunning and Brave Fiction in Fiction

Tree Killer. End all cardboard boxes, save the planet.

It never ends.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  9. Jazzymouse

Jazzymouse Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    yeah hold on give me a few minutes

• Like Like x 2
  10. Magnestrommaparrat

Magnestrommaparrat Collector of Assorted Transformers

Im all for using less plastic, every little bit counts. Also plug a big reminder on the packaging to recycle the packaging. Im thinking a mix of great ideas mentioned in this thread should work.

Windowed solution: Small holes or squares array not big enough for 2 fingers to squeeze through. Shld be enough to see through.

Solid box: special non tamper tape

11. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't find a proper dedicated thread in the forum's search box titled "Hasbro window less packaging".
    So I will post it here for now.

If you guys think Headless toys due to Hasbro's windowless box policy is only in the U.S., it's also happening here in the Philippines.
    Thanks to a member "Jay Jay" of Cybertron Philippines for the sighting in Toy Kingdom Megamall branch in our country.

This Hasbro decision is bad news for retailers/distributors since their headless toys can't be sold easily and became an instant loss of profit for them. Meanwhile Hasbro is earning profits from distributors and no accountability.

Poor Legacy Bulkhead

upload_2023-1-22_15-20-55.png

upload_2023-1-22_15-22-1.png

12. JazzAlert13

JazzAlert13 #1 Starscream Fanboy

News Credits:
    I’d vote to just go full windowless. I really am not a huge fan of the open box design. I already buy a significant portion of figures online where I can’t see them before buying so it’d be not too different for me at least.

13. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    These things are expensive, and getting smashed paper thin boxes makes it feel like a cheap rip off experience. The open window and weird shape of the box doesn’t help the integrity and makes it prone to look like shit.

You would not buy expensive organic milk if the “carton was smashed but I’m just going to throw the carton away”, right?

Hasbro helping the environment, cool. But they are also cutting costs, yet increasing price.

But I digress.

Windowless and a square box please, no weird shapes. Selects shoeboxes all the way if need be.

• Like Like x 5
  14. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Not a fan of this packaging. Or the windowlesss solid-cardboard packaging. I like to look at what I’m buying. I’ve already passed on some Marvel Legends because of this. If TFs go that way as well, I’ll probably buy less of them as well.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

The whole toy is made of plastic and the amount used for a tiny thin window on a box is comparatively minuscule.

If the environment was a true concern they wouldn't be producing metric tons of it in the form of most of their products, the products would be built to last instead of only lasting as long as the first kid will be interested...

Cost savings brought about by cheaper packaging doesn't sound as good during frequent price increases as "environmental concerns".

• Like Like x 2
  16. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

The toy you keep. In case of a collector for years and even in case of kid it can last years before being sold on. Yes, the toy is made of plastic but it's plastic that is used for a long time and can likely be recycled.

The package is thrown out and that plastic enters the environment. That's the issue. Using plastic isn't a problem as long as it's used for a long time, but disposable plastics cause a lot of damage.

• Like Like x 1
  17. volatus

volatus Cat Herder

Not everyone does that, and for those who keep the box, the Legacy boxes are absolute crap, even if you're getting them mailed from a reliable e-tailer. At mass retail stores they're just horrible.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

But most people do.

19. OptimusTarzan

OptimusTarzan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's just the gravy Hasbro is feeding you. They don't give a rats ass about the environment. They probably save a penny per box without plastic windows. It's all about profit and their stock price.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

probably yes and no.

Hasbro no doubt is more interested in profit and stock prices than the environment.

However, more and more people object to the use of disposable plastic. If people don't want to buy things packed in disposable plastic (and more people don't) then both stores and by extension Hasbro risk losing sales if they continue with using disposable plastics. They have to (at least pretend to) care about the environment.

• Like Like x 2