A theory involving Optimus Prime role in the series

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Tarngold, Jul 12, 2008.

1. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

In a word. No.

Why? Becauset Optimus doesn't need to be taller or use brute strength to show he can handle Megatron. He's not Grimlock who is a power house.

2. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

This I can see happening.

3. Particle_Beam

Particle_Beam Well-Known Member

Lol as much as you want, if you don't accept the very fact that the Autobots are always in a disadvantage when fighting in a city only means that you're not interested in a discussion.
    The Great War is over, that is established fact since the very second the recording voice said "Many millions of years ago".
    A new war can be started, but this one raging for control over Cybertron was over with the Decepticons leaving Cybertron.

And yet Lugnut and Blitzwing were defeated twice, either by being out-tricked, or by being literally shot from a huge supergun, that very much later turns out to be one of those humoungus Guardian bots that blasted Decepticon troopers into little bits.
    And you think the Autobots wouldn't flee if they were beaten so badly? Last time Optimus, Bulkhead and Prowl got trashed by Megatron alone, they fled into the Sumdac Building, and only Megatron's impatience saved them.
    Then prove first that Megatron lost purely out of sheer bad luck. Quite contrarily, every melee was decided by Megatron.
    It's the stories of few heroes fighting against "unbeatable odds", as you put it out yourself. Funny, isn't it? Because no matter how much you decry TF: Animated as a cartoon or personaly dislike it, it still has this element in common with all these other movies. Beating the odds that don't favor them.
    The very fact those movies have made oozles of money tells everything about their popularity. Also, they're part of pop culture.
    And all they wanted is some oil, not pick up a fight, or trash that little girl. Even after she attacked them unsuccessfully, they were still concerned primarily with searching for oil. Then she lures them in a rigged place and uses her magical key to beat them.
    Meanwhile, Chip escapes on his own with the strenght of his arm from the huge Decepticon on his wheelchair.
    You saw it when Blitzwing and Lugnut arrived on Earth and they fought against the Autobots on the bottom of Lake Eerie, when Starscream fought against the Maintenance crew and the Elite Guard, when our regular heroes fought first against the Dinobots, and so on.
    And yet, the Autobot maintenance crew always managed to overcome their disadvantageous situation.
    Also, the Decepticons will be (at least for a short while) leaderless once more.
    They're B-Team because the Elite Guard had personal problems with them, not because they're incompetent. Optimus leads a maintenance crew because he's blamed for the incident regarding Elita-1, Bumblebee and Bulkhead get put on a lowly career-opportunity because Sentinel is just a jerk (although Bulkhead doesn't mind it), Prowl seemed to have team-issues till after the nearly deadly encounter with the bio-monster on Earth, and still reverts to this attitude as soon as he gets upgrades, and Ratchet is grumpy, has flash-backs, a severe trauma, and seems to refuse to leave his old friend Omega Supreme alone.
    But as far as combat-capabilities are concerned, they're all quite very able, and when fighting together, a match for the brute strenght of the Decepticons.

Back then in G1, the Autobots on Earth outnumbered the Decepticons massively (you can see the full bulk of the Autobot Earth forces at said episode where Chip rolled away from the Decepticons), had help from the humans (more than enough energy to keep their base working on), were equally capable fighters one on one, had the advantage of the Decepticons behaving like bufoons and Starscream messing up whatever few reliable plans Megatron actually had by shooting him in the back.
    It's hard to believe how the Decepticons even managed to have the upper hand 4 million years ago.

The Autobots just won because they were better in every way. It didn't get better for the Decepticons after the 86-movie, where their leader became a lunatic madman, they had to live a scavenger life on the inhospitable planet Char, and even their most powerful fighter Trypticon got regularely pounded by Metroplex. How the Decepticons ever conquered Cybertron in the 86-movie will always remain a question.

4. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

I disagree with everything you said but I just don't have the time to respond to 12 different quotations, that is just pushing it.

I'll just say this, there is a clear difference between overcoming odds and getting lucky it is NOT the same. Bulkhead has a lucky throw and hits Lugnuts button, Omega Supreme comes on line RIGHT when they need him too.

Keep telling yourself the Autobots were pulling punches in the movie, the humans sure weren't worried about killing innocents. It took Rachet, Jazz, Ironhide, Bumblebee AND the humans just to take down Brawl/Devastator.

TFA is a re-hash of Bay's movie and not some breakthrough storyline that is going to win some Pulitzer. I think that is what annoys me the most people act like the storyline and writing is FAR superior to G1 and they all have such character development. g1 has plenty of that and Optimus wasn't a wuss which made it even cooler.

This conversation will never go anywhere I just get a summary of the whole TFA season and how great it is. It's a decent cartoon, nothing earthshattering, a good take on Transformers but it basically steals alot from Bay's movie.

The toys are really cool but my Leader Megatron got knocked over by my beagle thus losing a fight with Optimus so he is very angry atm.

5. Particle_Beam

Particle_Beam Well-Known Member

Keep telling yourself that the Autobots in Animated don't fight good and always only get lucky. If you're not interested in any discussion, so be it.
    And if you're still incapable to understand the one similarity I pointed out, then that's truly only your problem.

6. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Discussion is fine but not when you quote 15 different sentences and respond to each one. It gets to be a little much and I do not have time to spend on a 30 minutes retort.

I never said they didn't fight good you said win because they are a "superior fighting unit" which is untrue alot of tiimes they get lucky hell most of the times something happens just when it needs too (OS transforms twice at just the right moment) or Starscream turns on Megatron. It isn't that Autobot EVER defeating the Decepticons it's always something happened at the last second and Oh cool we won.

Their fights are the exact same every time.

Bumblebee- Shoots stingers, no effect.
    Prowl- throw stars. Do they ever hit anything besides the legs?
    OP- Throws Axe and slices something
    Bulkhead- Throws mace and string and hits something
    Rachet- catches something with magnetic do-hickeys

I have no problems I see it for what it is just like I see G1 but I'm not a fanboi of it and can't see any wrong in it. You seem to bust on everything abotu G1 but TFA has is perfect which I find hilarious. TFA has just as many problem with it that G1 had with goofy stories and things thta make you go HUH!!! But hey, it's a kids cartoon it should make adults say that.

Anyway the topic at hand, I liek Optimus being the strongest and wisest of all Autobot and he isn't here but has potential so hopefully the series will last long enough for him to trash Megatron.

I have no problems, truely it is what it is, A Kids Cartoon :) 

7. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wish they just called him Optimus until he took on a larger leadership role.

8. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    As far as Animated goes, part of why i LIKE the new series is their take on Optimus. If this had been another try at the Classic, veteran, seasoned leader Optimus, I never could have swallowed the big-chinned, Spacebridge-repairing deal.

So far, they're accomplishing with this series what they tried and failed to do in Season 3 with Rodimus Prime. They're showing a fledgling hero and leader, learning how to do things, making mistakes, doubting himself, and not being a whiny bitch about it. The advantage of the Decepticons have has force the Autobots to be resourceful, and that's shown well when Optimus fights Megatron. He's constantly having to develop new tricks (Like attaching his grapple line to his axe to allow him to throw and retrieve it). This is the beginning of the rivalry, which will one day develop into the intense conflict shown in G1.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing a 'Future Imperfect' episode. Zip a few hundred years into an alternate future, and see a grown-up Prime... bigger, seasoned, more powerful, and voiced by Peter Cullen :p  But only as a glimpse.

As for Ultra Magnus... I don't see him dying, but I do see him taken out of action for a while, leaving Sentinel Prime as acting Magnus (And proceeding to cock it up all over the place).