A theory involving Optimus Prime role in the series

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Tarngold, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Primus forbid...

2. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not too keen on the subject of Magnus' death, but it would be cool that if he did die a while later Wreck-Gar found him & somehow brought him back to life.

3. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One way or another, Magnus is going down. I'd easily wager that Animated will end with Optimus as supreme commander of the Autobots. That means UM has got to go. Hopefully, he goes out a hero.

Personally, I'd really like to see Sentinel immediately succeed Magnus whenever he does fall. I mean, if you think he's unbearable now, he'll be a joy of douchbaggery as an incapable #1 until Optimus takes his rightful place. It'll certainly be fun!

4. Particle_Beam

Particle_Beam Well-Known Member

Why should Animated-Optimus end as the supreme commander of the Autobots? Why shouldn't he retire after all this ordeal and become a civilian bot? He can still be lauded as Cybertron's greatest hero. Perhaps he'll go into politics and become secretary of Alpha Trion, head minister of the Autobot Empire. Or perhaps later president, with Ultra Magnus still in charge of the military.
    That is, if this show will have a definitive end.

According to the botcon news, TF: Animated will be produced as long as the line is profitable. That rather looks like this show won't have necessarily a super-happyend. After all, the season 2-ender was meant to possibly end the series, if needed.

5. Autobot-Girl

Autobot-Girl is possibly insane

I think it would be awesome if somehow Prime figured out that his mind got wiped. He was really in the elite guard and got his mind wiped by Megatron when he was in a battle. Originally he was one of the elite guards best men and Megatron DID have a rivalry with him. When the mind wiping happens Optimus blacks out and Magnus saves him. Magnus tells everybody not to say anything about Optimus' past to him (becaue he was secretly jealous)
    They allow him to go through the academy again only he fails something and is sent to be on the maintenance crew. Megatron realizes what had happened and doesn't say anything about Primes past to him for fear of awakening his memory. So megatron goes and blows up Magnus and his ship, Magnus one of the only people that knows about Primes past, tells Jazz everything. Jazz is sent into hiding from the on-coming Decepticon forces. Eventually Megs lets slip a bit about Prime's past and eventually it's a race to get to the ppl who know his memory's before Megs gets to them.

6. Particle_Beam

I don't see Megatron being afraid of anyone, and surely not of a little Autobot that is barely half as high as he is. Let's face it, this Optimus doesn't have the strenght to knuckle down Megatron.

And I hope that this stays so. Optimus Prime should beat Megatron because he has good tactics and a reliable team to work with, whereas Megatron might be smart, but has mostly to rely on his superior strenght and skills, because Decepticons are a bunch of traitorous scum that works poorly together when not cowed by a more brutal leader.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Ultra Magnus dies in the Series finale and Optimus must use the Matrix to defeat Megatron and becomes Supreme Commander.

I'd liked to see that but i like ultra magnus.

8. Particle_Beam

Sounds too much like the G1-Cartoon, where Optimus Prime dies and Hot Rod must use the Matrix to defeat Galvatron and become the Supreme Leader.

Not needed (and I like Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime). I don't want a basic rehash of G1. Thankfully, Animated isn't like that.

9. MR.UPGRADER

MR.UPGRADER Active Member

I've though that too. And I think it would be a very good thing for the show.

But right now Ultra Magnus is the leder of all the autobots.

10. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

You prefer a re-hash of the movie?

I hope he eventually becomes Supreme Leader. There is a reason why OP is the most famous Autobot but TFA is a decent take on the story but I'd like more Megatron/OP fights. OP needs to be stronger, bottom line.

11. Particle_Beam

Didn't you just read what you quoted? No, I don't. I don't want the 86-movie to be repeated here again.
    So that Megatron/Optimus-battles will be reduced to simple melee-battles and knock-out, instead of team-versed skill master versus brutal overpowering warmonger? Surely that can't be the only way.

More Optimus-Megatron-fights, I don't oppose. But simply making him stronger so that he can take on Megatron mano-à-mano? Nah, I'm okay with the power-difference between the two. You do wonder how Optimus might beat Megatron. In the G1-series, Megatron was even weaker than Optimus, and had to rely on cheating, aside from calling the retreat when the Autobots shot longer than 10 seconds at them.

12. ian5555

No, the new Movie not the G1 cartoon. TFA is a re-hash of that so no different then them re-hashing from G1 The Movie.

Yep, that is what I want Optimus to be just as strong as Megatron. So what if he is? The outcome is still always the same and we all know that. At least that way Megatron doesn't look like such an idiot who keeps losing to someone that is way beneath them on the power scale like getting destroyed by Spike in the movie. That was such a hollywood craptastic thing to do. Next thing you know Sari is going to destroy Megatron with one of her karate kicks.

Megatron- "Decepticons!! Rise up and....."
    Sari-"HIIIIIIIIYYAAAAA!!!"
    Megatron- "Ouch my leg, Decepticons RETREAT!!!"

13. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    Transformers have died in every era so far except for RID, though that was intended to be for kids. ThoughMOST Transformers died in G1, and Beast/Machines. Though since Transformers from my viewpoint is more than just a kids show, anything is possible.

14. Particle_Beam

Ah, I see. But how is Animated a re-hash from the Bay-movie? Aside from some graphical similarities (mostly Megatron's Cybertronic alternate form, and him being the source of modern human robots of the 22nd century to the Bay-formers entire technology line since the earliest 20th century), the Animated-universe is really different from the Bay-movie-verse. The Autobots had won the Great War, the Decepticons are a scattered group without leadership, Optimus Prime is a young inexperienced leader of a bunch of misfits, and as noted, he's far far smaller than Megatron. Cybertron is a living world, the Autobots do not live in secrecy, there are no gouverment-conspiracies to sack the cybertronians.
    Ehrm, I don't really understand that sentence. Can you please repeat it again in other words?
    Animated Megatron has so far won every melee battle against anybody who rose against him. The very first battle against Optimus, he was severely wounded by Starscream's treachery, and still punched the entire crew around like rag-dolls, one-armed. Only through luck and quick thinking did Optimus manage to throw him out. The second time, Megatron trashes Optimus, Bulkhead and Prowl again, without flinching. At the island, Optimus confronts Megatron alone, and gets knocked out. Again, only quick thinking and using the power of the key to overload the AllSpark in the chest of Megatron does he manage to make Megatron retreat. Only the vortex of the experimental space bridge and a coincidently nearby stasis cuff save the chinplates of Optimus at the end of the season-finale of season 2.
    Megatron has never looked like an idiot when fighting the Autobots. Quite contrarily. He has been depicted as a terrible menace to the Autobots.
    And that's good so. Rather a super-powerful Megatron, than the G1-Decepticon Leader who lost every battle with Optimus and sounded the retreat after 20 seconds of Autobots staring at them sternly. G1-Optimus Prime bitch-slapped the little G1-Megatron every time, till the 86-movie, where he single-handedly turned the tide, shrugged off the blasts from the Decepticons, and then uppercutted Megatron with his mighty fists of doom.
    Now, that was one idiot who you always wonder how he and his goons managed to overthrow the Autobots.
    As funny as that would be, so far, nothing indicates that Sari could ever harm a Cybertronian without her key. And TF: Animated isn't Bay-Formers, nor G1 and the 86-movie.
    G1-Megatron would indeed do something like that. Of course, the G1-Decepticons were also unable to stop an imobilized human in a wheelchair. :p 

15. Wazzpinator

Wazzpinator is playin ODST

I'm going to probably the only one in this thread to say this, but can we have Optimus leave earth to be replaced by Rodimus? Pretty Please?

16. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Totally disagree. Not so much with the Megs/Prime fights, but certainly that Prime needs to be a physical match for Megatron.

A good story comes from conflict; and a great hero is one that succeeds in defeating his nemesis despite the odds against him. That's the thing I liked most about Beast Machines; you rooted for the Maximals because they had to take on pretty much the entire population of Cybertron to achieve their goals. There was virtually no chance they were going to pull it off, yet they did it anyway.

If Prime's easily a match for Megatron, then where's the challenge? Either Prime beats Megatron straight off (in which case there goes the series), or they just engage in a repeating cycle of stalemates, which really gets old fast.
    Were you, perchance, a particular fan of the AEC stuff, where they just skipped the tactics and went straight to the power-ups?

17. ian5555

You said you didn't want a re-hash of the G1 Movie, I said how is that any different then getting a re-hash of the Bay Movie? The basis of TFA is exactly like Bay's transformers. The main goal was getting the All-Spark and the Decepticons are VASTLY superior to the Autobots in most cases (just like the movie). It also uses humans alot more like the Bay movies. It is the same idea just a few changes thrown in there to make it look like some "break through" storyline lol....

The Autobots had not won the war also. Control of Cyberton doesn't mean they won just like in the G1 Movie Decepticons had control of Cybertron but the war was not over.

Yes, and he still manages to lose due to silly circumstances OR he avoids conflict all-together. Why are people obssessed with the idea that heroes winning by "luck" is a great story? A good guy doesn't have to overcome unbeatable odds for it to be a great story.

You mean like Sari beating both Scrapper and Mixmaster? Making the Decepticons look stupid kinda like that? How is that different from G1 having the wheelchair guy use Teletran 1 to defeat them or whatever he would use?

AEC? not familair with that.

I never said an easy match for Megatron, i said an even match. Alot of people seem to think that a hero HAS to be the underdog in order for it to be a great story. That is YOUR preference for a story, it's not the REQUIREMENT for a good story. Is Lex Luthor stronger then Superman? No, but they have written some great story's about it. Megatron's strength is his scheming and his lust for conquest and he is very powerful. To see him keep losing because 1) he won't just destroy Starscream once and for all and 2) The autobots get lucky is kinda blah.

Everyone already KNOWS the outcome. The Autobots are going to win. It's not bad for Optimus and Megatron to be equals but Optimus' heart and courage wins out. It's a different take on the great rivalry but to me there really is no rivalry now and hopefully the series will develop long enough so it might become one. But, i didn't like how Megatron was vastly superior to Prime in the movie and I don't particulary care for it here. It's my preference just as yours is the opposite.

I'm just waiting for Megatron to lose because he slips on a banana peel.

18. Particle_Beam

Q

Now I understand. Still, I counted up the differences, and the Movie-formers were equal in strenght. Bumblebee defeated Barricade, for once.
    The Decepticons were routed from Cybertron for 4 million years (cycle). That fact has been established in the very first seconds of TF: Animated.
    Those circumstances aren't silly, and he's alone with only two goons on an alien planet with Autobots looking for him. He has to be careful, and he has plans for conquering Cybertron. Putting the Space Bridge-project in jeopardy would make him a bigger fool.
    Well-told like in Animated, it does make a great story. This sort of story-telling has also been done in Star Wars, Die Hard and James Bond, and they're all terribly popular. Of course, a minority of people don't like it, but they're not important by then.
    Animated Scrapper and Mixmaster weren't Decepticons by then, just robot burglars after some oil (and even after the branding, still weren't blood-thirsty warriors of doom and destruction). Also, Sari has a magical key to facilitate her achievements. Furthermore, these two aren't evil, just working for anybody who pays them (in oil).
    The G1-Decepticons were blood-thirsty warriors of doom and destruction, superior in numbers, had laserguns, were willing to stomp humans, and still got outsmarted by an immobilized human in a wheel-chair. The only really competent Decepticons back there were Ravage and Laserbeak, and they didn't speak. :D 
    Then you're lucky. :) 
    Lex Luthor has the advantage that Superman doesn't punch his face into a million pieces after all those constant attacks on him, and that he's a public figure. Of course, the very fact that the entire world is mindnumbing stupid in the DC-world also helps the villains. The Animated Cartoon-series has then Lex Luthor going into jail, reforming, and in the end fighting together with Superman to stop Darkside.
    Megatron doesn't have the luxury of the Autobots being nice to him, no public relations, and no allies who would help him. In every iteration of Transformers, Megatron is THE robotic alien invader from space who's going to destroy the world/steal its energy ressources/crush all non-mechanical life in the universe.
    He did kill Starscream. You do remember it. It just happens that Starscream is immortal. He even put a bounty on Starscream, because he interfered all the time. And the Autobots don't win solely on luck, they also use superior team-tactics. But that has been said so many times, if you don't want to acknowledge this, then it's your problem.
    So they aren't equally strong. If Optimus Prime has equal strenght and skill, all Megatron could at best hope to accomplish is a stale-mate (which he did in the G1-Cartoon).
    Bay-formers Megatron wasn't superior. He had the advantage that he could ruthlessly destroy the city and not care about human casualties, which Bay-formers Optimus Prime couldn't allow to happen. Optimus Prime was automatically in a disadvantage the moment the fighting took place in a populated area.
    Probably an oil-leak, at worst. Although Animated-Megatron has rather been no-nonsense, contrarily to G1-Megatron, who got drunk from sipping Energon, and has to bully his subordinates to clean the underwater base after a flying sky-base fell on it, when they attempted to kidnap a girl that fell in love with an Autobot. :D 

19. ian5555

double post. i hate all this multiple quote crap :p 

20. ian5555

No way the Autobots were equal in strength to Decepticons and Megatron was CLEARLY more powerful then Optimus. The whole innocents around is a cop out not once did he mention that to my recollection except when Bumblebee was being taken. Hell he was more likely to get more people killed cause Megatron was throwing him around like a !@#$%. Notice when Optimus shots Megatron it barely phases him but when Megs shoots OP it knocks him into a building. Equal strength indeed..lol

The fact that the Decepticons were not on Cybertron doesn't mean the war was over. That is silly.

Megatron has to be careful? Lugnut and Blitzwing are more powerful then all 5autobots. The 3 of them could walk into their headquarters and hand each their head in abotu 1 minutes which makes the story even more unbelieveable even for a kid's cartoon. I'd rather see Megatron lose because someone of equal strength beat him then to see him constantly get beat cause a coin landed on heads instead of tails.

Well told? HAHA I can't believe you compared TFA to those great stories. Phew....Animated story telling is NOTHING like Star Wars, James Bond (LOL) and Die Hard!! I fail to see the comparison. Uhhh cartoon for kids, movies for adults. There is NO comparison unless maybe in Star Wars they were the underdog.

Minority people? Huh? Did you do a poll on this?

Scrapper and Mixmaster were both HUGE transformers and the notion that them being beat by a maybe what 10 year old is no more stupid then Decepticons being outsmarted by a guy in a wheelchair and is just ludicrous.

I have yet to see this "superior fighting skills team" of yours in action. Are we watching the same Movie and cartoon? cause...wow..All they do is remove or lessen the appearance of anything that would tend to give the Autobots an advantage ie: Dinobots, Omega Supreme, Elite Guard.

Is it the whole fantasyland idea that the autobots B team beats the Decepticons A team regularly? is that somehow great story writing?