A sticky situation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JaZzPrImE74, May 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    So , when i turn 18 it will be 6 months if me having a valid Driving learners permit. Now under normal circumstances I’d have had a appointment set up probably the day after my birthday at a DMV around me so i can take my test and have my license. With this problem going in and DMVs being closed im nkt sure what to do.

i moved out of my parents and living with my gramas , they get government assistance so obviously as every 18 year old should i need to be able to provide for myself. I have 2 minimum wage jobs where im getting about 35 total hours a week which is pretty good for a 17 year old but now that im gonna be 18 and just bought my car obviously i want to have more money.

So that leads me to working most likely a warehouse job unless i can find something with the same pay but less labor , which is doubtful. But what if i get hired in a town close by ? Or if i get scheduled to go in early in the morning like 4-6 am? Or get off at 10pm or later? My gramas are elderly and cant be waking up that early to take me to work of course. So what do i do if the DMV dont reopen soon? Drive alone but risk something going wrong ? Maybe just hope and pray that law enforcement would be more understanding for the current situation?

2. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

I'd be asking myself how/why am I driving a 2018 mustang GT if I'm only working minimum wage jobs???

• Like Like x 11
  3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Have you considered simply calling the DMV to ask what to do?

• Like Like x 9
  4. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  5. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    Of course , but in California you cant even talk to a customer service representative, only there robot

Why are you concerned? Maybe because i can afford it ? And have additional income from selling my merch on the side. You must think I’m paying 750+ a month for it. And regardless of that fact , i turn 18 May 31st and have multiple connections set in place to work at different warehouses and make almost 20 a hour.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2020
  6. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    As you probably already know:

California Driver Handbook - Obtaining A Driver License

So, I would not risk it. Give the times we're in, I would not bank on the cops being "understanding." So, if you risk it, whatever happens is on you and whoever else you'd be affecting if you're caught. From what I understand, it's not worth it. A simple Google search results in:

Penalty for Driving Without a Driver's License in California

Soo....I ain't no lawyer, but it looks like if you get caught, and you go to jail, you can kiss that job and that income goodbye. Again, not worth it. But that's all up to you man. If you want people to look at you as an adult, you gotta make decisions that an adult does. Which means...you shouldn't be breaking the law. Again...it's not worth it.

According to this:

California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV/RMV) Phone Number | Call Now & Skip the Wait

There's two numbers you can call:

800-777-0133 which has a 69 minute wait time.
    916-657-6560 which has a 3 minute wait time.

The 800 number is the main one it seems. But...looking at most locations, they're closed. And looking at your state's DMV website, there isn't an option for you to get your license without actually going to the office and taking the test. So in short, you're gonna have to wait until your state opens up again.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  7. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    These aren't normal circumstances. A lot of people's lives and dreams have been put on hold. You are going to need to be patient. Get a job within biking distance. Also consider if you rush out to get a job right now you are putting your grandparents at risk.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    To expand on this, @JaZzPrImE74 , you may feel you're healthy (asymptomatic), but you won't know if you actually have the virus or not unless you can get tested for it. Can you get tested for it daily? Probably not. Even then, you run the risk of giving the virus to your grandparents. If they're not as healthy as you, or if their immune systems are compromised, then that's an even greater risk. Ask yourself if you'd feel guilty at all...if it turns out YOU gave them the virus.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Dark Seeker's already laid out more information, but the gist is that you're pretty much going to have to wait.

And what happens if those connections fall through? What's the backup plan for that?

• Like Like x 5
  10. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Exactly! Look man most of us are old enough to be your parents. We've got age and wisdom on our side. You live in California a state that has a very high cost of living and high taxes. You are talking about a $20 job like it is amazing. Is some ways it is. I live in the midwest with a much lower cost of living. I make about $17/hr. I pay rent, electric, food, cable, insurance, car payments, etc. I'm not living extreme paycheck to paycheck, nor am i rolling in dough. I drive a 2014 used Ford Focus. No way would i afford a brand new Mustang. Especially for a first car. You need to be practical for a first car. Look into a used car that is in good condition. Get it checked by a mechanic first. It is not about flash and showing off. It is about getting from A to B.

• Like Like x 9
  11. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Yeah, not to mention I would expect warehouse work to not include things like medical coverage, which is always on the rise sadly if you're paying out of pocket and not through an employer.

• Like Like x 2
  12. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    Yes .
    My backup plan is that i am working two jobs and can already afford the car. Me getting a higher paying job is just so i can afford more of the shoes n clothes that i love buying as well after bills.
    Some places I’ve book marked actually do offer some coverages n what not.
    And also considering im just about to be 18 i would say that making $15-$20+ a hour is actually pretty good. I don’t live with my parents but i live with my grandparents. So rent/utilities n what not isnt a worry for me just yet.
    And yes its about getting from A - B , but im not gonna spend my hard earned money on a car im not happy with.

Its why i got My mustang Preowned and am as happy as can be. :) 

13. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Just be mindful of what's going on and becareful and keep in mind everyone you're in contact with. Ultimately, just be careful. I know we're all sick and tired of hearing about the virus and all, but until we can be sure that we're not going to be the ones giving it to our loved ones...yeah. I mean, you know your grandparents better than we do. But as they say, the elderly are the most at risk.

• Like Like x 4
  14. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    Yes , and i take necessary cautions of not getting to close to strangers , always washing my hands and never toucbing my face unless my hands are freshly washed. Thank you tho :) 

15. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

I'm not "concerned" as you say but I read what you wrote. In my mind and most people's minds on here, I'm sure minimum wage does not = 2018 mustang GT or otherwise. Most people I know who are making wayyyyy more than you, aren't buying that kinda car. Especially for a 1st car. I'm sure insurance on that is through the roof being a young guy. Mine was expensive when I was that age. I'm into cars, so I understand but if you were my son, mind you I have a 16yo, I'd tell him the same thing. If your parents or whoever paid for it, that's one thing but most 18yo I know aren't paying cash for that kinda car, hell they can't even finance it cuz they don't have enough credit built up and they have to have a cosigner. If you don't have a large payment or paid cash or someone bought it for you, then I'd understand.

• Like Like x 3
  16. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    Through Geico im paying $95 for my insurance , my payment is under $500 as well, and that was after i put 2k down that i came up with on the final price of 25k to bring it down to 23k pre taxes/fees. Cosidering one check from work will pay for my Payment/Insurance I’ll be alright. And besides i have full confidence in myself because this is my motivation. Hard work and dedication will always prevail.

also, my first payment is due in 45 days , my 3rd check will have already came in from working so ill always be ahead :) 

17. galvatran

galvatran Galvatran lives!

News Credits:
    Don’t bring logic here. Logic be gone. :p 

He’s turning 18. Chicks & cars is a full time pre-occupation. :D 

• Like Like x 3
  18. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Young, dumb and full of... stuff..

• Like Like x 3
  19. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude I hope things work out for you, I really do. But you have already made a big ass mistake in getting that car. You don’t get that type of car till you have a CAREER, not a job, that you could easily be fired from in the blink of an eye over something stupid, or are subject to varying hours.

Ah well.....you did it already so good luck!

———————-

EDIT: How the hell did you get insurance with no driver’s license? Also same with registration? Also, the insurance rate for that type of car in California would be through the roof. I had a mustang when I was 22 and insurance was at least 200 bucks IIRC, probably more like 250. Did you get liability? Auto financers require full coverage. Or are you on your grandparent’s insurance?

• Like Like x 3
  20. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    I'm still trying to work out why his biggest priority was buying what I guess in some circumstances could be considered a midlife crisis car before he could legally drive. Right now it's just a $25k hunk of metal sitting on the street he legally can not operate for the forseeable future. Frankly, that's money that should have gone into the bank as a nest egg for emergencies since I'm going to assume medical insurance isn't exactly on the table right now, and if for whatever reason he misses a payment because he gets laid off or is unable to work (almost like there's some kind of potentially super lethal disease going around these days - after all, the whole thing about masks in public is to protect other people, it doesn't do anything to protect you yourself)...the foundations of all this are very shaky to say unto the least.

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.