A question for female Transformer fans

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by QLRformer, Oct 29, 2016.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    What drew you to Transformers?

Was it anything gender-specific, like admiration for the strong male or female heroes in the saga?

Or is it simply a gender-neutral thing, because you can enjoy transforming mecha wars no matter what gender you are?

2. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

Gender-neutral reasons for me, the different lore the writers come up with is what drew me in along with interesting and entertaining characters.

• Like Like x 4
  3. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    The idea of having a huge, secret robot friend who hides in plan sight was just too good to pass up. Plus the characters were interesting.

So, nope, had nothing to do with gender.
    I remember the first time I realized they were including females and romance - I thought it was dumb, because they were alien robots.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Jazzfan0217

Jazzfan0217 Wuz crackin’ lil bitches

Gender neutral. I didn't even know about female characters until later on. I just got into transformers because the characters were interesting and also because giant fricking robots fighting other giant fricking robots is cool :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  5. Latooni

Latooni "HIDOI YO!!!"

Gender neutral. I've just always found robots really interesting for some reason.

As a child, I remember watching and really liking the "G2" cartoon, and I absolutely loved Beast Wars and asked for figures from it(my mother really liked the BW cartoon as well). I think as a child the concept of robots with genders was a little strange to me, but it didn't really matter much to me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    How many guys do you think got into Transformers for 'gender-specific' reasons? Or would you automatically assume their reasons had nothing to do with gender and not ask such questions? And what about the LGBTQ fans?

We're all giant robot fans here. Period. Geez. :confused: 

--Moony

• Like Like x 7
  7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Where and when I grew up, most boys enjoyed Transformers and most girls liked She-Ra for being a strong female warrior.

Times have changed for the better, now girls can enjoy Transformers and boys can enjoy My Little Pony. I was just curious about what attracted girls to TF, if it was anything specific.

8. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Thread won right here!

9. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I'm still in love with she-ra and the like. Red Sonja is a childhood hero of mine. Strong beautiful women sexiness aside, are awesome! Like my wife. She's my fucking heroine. Love the woman and man as equals side by side ruling the universe damn it

• Like Like x 4
  10. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Before you ask gender specific questions about something that is NOT gender specific, ask yourself 'Would I ask a <opposite gender from the question> the same question?' And if the answer is 'no', then realize you are probably making sexist assumptions about the people you're asking the question of. Just because you didn't see girls that liked TF (or boys that liked MLP) in your area doesn't mean they didn't exist, it just means you didn't know them or they didn't trust you enough to tell you.

--Moony

• Like Like x 2
  11. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    It's just a simple question. The OP clearly had no intention of being offensive. Let's not derail this into something it was never intended to be.

Thanks everyone

• Like Like x 10
  12. Venixion

Venixion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I grew up watching the original cartoon and playing with my cousins and neighbors toys.

I was annoyed by the beastformers and was excited to see the live action movie... up until I actually saw it and was mortified.

I wasn't impressed with Animated, I like Prime and RiD.

The first TF that I ever bought for myself was FoC Ratbat. I now have a small, growing collection.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  13. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I do rather like/appreciate it when there is more women presence in the series even if it's not the original/sole draw.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Shark

Shark Carcharodon carcharias

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    What drew me in was the 2007 Transformers Burger King commercial. I was amused by Optimus ordering the Whopper and I was like "who the heck even is that?" When it was revealed that they were advertising the movie Transformers I was like "WHA?! that movie with the scary alien-looking things? there are good robots, too?? oh snap I gotta see it now."

The rest was history.

AndnowI'mattractedtogiantrobotswtf

• Like Like x 2
  15. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I loved She-ra as a kid. I used to go over to my cousin's house and watch that all the time. Maybe it's due to me having a bunch of sisters and a bunch of women cousins all near my age that I never got the whole "gender specific" stuff. I liked what my friends liked. When my cousin and I would team we'd have the autobots join forces with Barbie and the Turtles.

• Like Like x 2
  16. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

She-ra was better than He-Man as a show anyway ^^

• Like Like x 5
  17. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot *º*Hockey mom and coach*º*

News Credits:
    NY'er living in the middle of nowhere, NC
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I saw Beast Wars on TV, and I thought the graphics were sooo coool!!! And they were animals, then the animals turned into robots and I was like, omg this is everything I need in my life. And I made my mom take me to Toys R Us, because I needed all the things. And my mom got me cheetor and primal, and they were out of stock on Dinobot.

I'm going to answer for my baby girl too, just in case. She has a lot of toys, and really enjoys her Rescue Bots Blades. She sits and transforms it back and forth. I'm sure it's not a gender specific thing, because Blades isn't pink with purple frills? I'm not sure what you meant by gender specific. She really loves Optimus's voice. She gets excited when she hears him. I play clips on youtube, she flails her little arms. She has a toy Optimus that says movie phrases and she presses the button over and over.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  18. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I think it's a valid question. The marketing skews heavily (and deliberately) male, as does the "gender" of most of the characters. Us dudes may not consciously be into Transformers for "gender-specific" reasons, but the fact remains that we're being catered to. There's a lot of discussion going on these days about representation in media and how important it is to a lot of people when they want to connect with storytelling in popular media. Transformers is not so hot in terms of gender representation, so it's interesting to know why someone outside the target demographic finds it compelling. I'd be just as interested to know how guys get into MLP, Strawberry Shortcake, or Jem and the Holograms.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    i love me some She-ra. I love me my super heroines.

I've always advocated for more female Cybertronian characters and I wish we have a decent female Cybertronian in Bay's live-action movies.

• Like Like x 2
  20. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I watched Jem and the Holograms. I liked the music that was played during the show.

• Like Like x 3