A question for all you loose G1 Slugslinger Owners

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Parsox, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Parsox

Parsox Lieutenant

Does this figure always start turning yellow over time?

thanks

parsons

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

always? no, sometimes? yes, like all figures.

3. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I held out and got one that's just about cherry. zero discoloration, but no chrome. Fair trade to me

4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    nope, mine's perfect. I think yellowing can technically be avoided on all toys, it's just a matter of conditions they were kept in, and sometimes variations in manufacturing procedures.

5. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    mine is mib , unused. perfect and I will keept it that way

6. Cloudraker

Cloudraker on auto-pilot

I know what you mean.

One of my G1 Slugslingers has slight yellowing on him but only on the grey topside of the figure. Its particularly heavy around the nosecones.
    I always wondered if it was the grey plastic they used on the figure, it just feels "softer" then the other plastics.

I had him in the same box as Metroplex for years and Plexi came out roses!!!

7. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    It's very individual from figure to figure, and some production batches are more susceptible to yellowing - and that can't be avoided no matter how you store them, it's just not transformers but plastic parts in general.
    I have 2 Slugslingers both I got for cheap of ebay and both have faded in colour, however I'm satisfied with it because I don't feel like paying $75-90 for this figure, because it's not that great... Triggerhappy and Blurr are also susceptible to yellowing.

8. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    There are definitely some plastics that are more prone to this than others and I Slugslinger is definitely has some of this plastic.

If UV exposure is kept to a minimum, it seems like there is little danger of yellowing...

For your Slugslinger, I would just enjoy it... its not worth as much to a collector but its still a kickass figure.

EDIT: Maybe Sureshot90 is right? I always assumed that it was UV exposure that did it?

9. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Last time I checked, mine didn't really have any yellowing on it at all.

10. SureShot90

Ebay:
    UV exposure will also make things yellow, but sometimes the chemicals in the plastic will change appearance and take on another colour. I remember working at a store where we had several boxes of white small plastic caps for radiators, and they were stored in a dry environment with the same temperature and moisture 24/7, but 2years after storage most were turned beige.

11. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    Mine is in happy condition.

12. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

My toys are all in the basement and have no discoloring even slugslinger so maybe
    the light/temp explanation is correct.

13. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    As soon as I read this title I knew the thread was about discoloring. I think mine is a bit, but not enough to buy a replacement.

14. SureShot90

Ebay:
    But hey some wear also has it's charm, I reached a point where I think that it's ok for my TF toys to show their age if it's due to a natural development in plastics... heck I won't sell my Inferno which ladder isn't white any more etc, but the toy was one of my first so I don't dare to sell it.

Also this yellowing talk leads me to the gold-breaking-issue which I wonder is a case of moist weather and temperature, because here in the Nordic countries there rarely are any issues with gold-plastic-parts eventhough old... nor is cracking rubber tires a real issue.

15. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

The plastic may break down on its own, but prolonged UV exposure will almost certainly result in yellowing.

It simply decays over time- the fate of all Transformers figures will eventually be that of the figures that currently suffer from "Gold Plastic Syndrome".

16. Parsox

Parsox Lieutenant

thanks all for the input

17. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

yellowing is a result of the aging of the plastic. Even a figure kept MISB will eventually yellow, it just takes a hell of alot longer. Keep your figures away from UV light, ie daylight and UV lamps. Blacklights will turn a TF yellow really quick for instance. Also keep them away from extremes of hot or cold and humidity levels. Very dry environments will start leaching the oils out of the plastic, very humid can rust and such. Even the oils from your hands actually causes an acceleration of the aging of the plastic.

If you keep you figures in a room with a moderate temperature and humidity level and away from sunlight and such they should stay looking good for years.