A question about selling part of your collection.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Necrophon, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Ok, I seem to have noticed that since the end of TF Animated I've seen a lot of people selling their Animated portions of their collections. This got me to wondering about some things.

(So really it's several questions.)

1. For those of you that do thin out your collections from time to time, how do you decide what to sell?

2. After taking care of a figure and keeping it in good (I'm assuming.) condition, does it matter to you whether it ends up with another collector or some kid that may just trash it?

3. How often have you regretted selling a figure?

4. Have you ever repurchased one you sold in the past?

5. How often do you thin the ranks of your collection?

Mod,s I apologize if there's already a thread out there like this I searched for one and didn't find what I was looking for.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  2. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Okay, simple, straight up answers

1. Whenever I sell something, it's either something that fails to live up to my standarts, doesn't get displayed at all or does not fit my collection. More than often it's the first two options.

2. When I sold my MP Convoy for 150 USD years ago, I was sure it went to a collector. Most of the time your items go to collectors, trust me.

3. Very rarely, if never. Only figure I genuinely regret selling was my SOC SPEC Eva 01 years ago.

4. Not exactly, but I did get an MP Black Convoy recently, having sold my original red version a couple years ago. At one time I had 2 BT Wheeljacks after I had sold mine :) 

5. Not very often, but I do it from time to time. My ideal goal is to keep my Animated collection, MP Collection and Henkei and just get rid of the rest, besides some movie figures. You don't have to be ashamed of selling figures you don't like.

3. TFormerfan

TFormerfan Maximal

1. For those of you that do thin out your collections from time to time, how do you decide what to sell? My crap is what goes

2. After taking care of a figure and keeping it in good (I'm assuming.) condition, does it matter to you whether it ends up with another collector or some kid that may just trash it? As long as its in a good home

3. How often have you regretted selling a figure? Never

4. Have you ever repurchased one you sold in the past? Nope

5. How often do you thin the ranks of your collection? Anytime something sells

4. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. For those of you that do thin out your collections from time to time, how do you decide what to sell?

i thinned out most of my g1s, most return on them

2. After taking care of a figure and keeping it in good (I'm assuming.) condition, does it matter to you whether it ends up with another collector or some kid that may just trash it?

nope, if a kid loves it, it was used for the purpose it was designed for

liokaiser and scorponok come to mind

i got a scorponok for free and it replaced the one i sold

as little as i can

5. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Hmm...

The thought of thinning out my collection just terrifies me. But I am severely running out of space, so I have been considering it lately.

Sorry not to directly answer the questions, just that if I did sell any of my collection, it would be repaints or to remove an entire line.

However I love all my TFs so it would have to be a real emergency, financial or otherwise to get me to sell.

6. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

A: I'm just starting my collection and have no plans to sell any of it.
    B: I regretted selling my MIB G1 Jetfire a year ago. Back then I was racing Mini-Z's and I'm sure I sold Jetfire to fund my racing. Now that I'm building my collection, I want another one.
    C: Unless you have a certain mark on the Transformer you sold, it would be near impossible to know if you've bought back your old one and the chances of that are slim to none I'd think.
    D: Go back to A.

7. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Oh no I didn't mean buying the exact same figure you sold I just meant buying the same mold/character again. You know a duplicate if you will.

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    1. I've sold figures before for one of two reasons: 1) I used to be strictly "One toy per mold", so I sold a figure if a paintjob I liked better was coming down the pipeline and 2) I decided that G1 doesn't do anything for me.

2. It doesn't matter to me if it goes to kid or collector, so long as it will be enjoyed.

3. Twice, I think. Last year I sold Offroad Ironhide and Movie Evac so I could get a black Movie 1 Ironhide and Movie Blackout, because back then I wouldn't own more than one use of a mold and I decided I'd rather have the movie-accurate colors. I have since regretted selling both as I've gotten more completionist in my movie toy tendencies.

4. 2 Times. I sold Cybertron Defense Hot Shot so I could get 2.0 Roadbuster and I sold Cybertron Red Alert to get Movie Crankcase. I will rebuy Offroad Ironhide and Movie Evac eventually, maybe 6 months to a year from now.

5. I don't really sell to "thin out". yet.

9. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My answers:

What I still like, I keep; what I am happy to part with (usually to use the gained funds for another purchase, or for family matters) I lose. It's as simple as that. Why hold on to things if you're not really fussed about 'em? Just to say "I've got them"? Not a good reason in my books.

Look, 98% of this stuff is mass-produced, mass-marketed stuff. Certainly the kids stuff anyway. If I was selling a MP or Binaltech - I wouldn't expect a kid to be able to plump up the dough for such a collector-orientated figure. I'd expect kids to be interested in ROTF or Animated or whatever; would I be bothered about such toys? Nah, not really. And ultimately - once some one has brought it from me, it's up to them what they do with it. And also - no buyer has ever let me know in advance that they intend to "trash" a figure(!), so it's not like I'd ever know either way, right?

a few times, most notably the RID car brothers. I loved those guys! Never regretted selling RID Prime though. Generally, I don't regret. I sold off 99% of my Star Wars collection last year - occasional nostalgia, but no real regrets (funded more TFs!).

Put it this way - I've never regretted selling anything enough to buy it back. Ooh, tell a lie, a MIB A-Team HQ set, but it was a bargain price!

See above. I've also had various Henkei/Classics sells-and-rebuys if they count.

Fairly regularly (taking my toy collection as a whole, not just TFs). It's good for the collecting soul!

I like a streamlined collection and always want to be able to say, hand on heart, that I LIKE everything in my collection. And what with a family, collecting pennies are at a premium, so you better believe that if there's something I don't want anymore, it's GONE...