A Question About Power Creep

Discussion in 'Transformers Trading Card Game (TCG) Discussion' started by JBOboe720, Feb 14, 2019.

1. JBOboe720

JBOboe720 Well-Known Member

I was talking with a friend who also plays the TCG about the new Fling card, and they say it's basically a power creep that outmodes Medic. Both cards give you a 2-damage difference swing, but Fling allows you to target it, which makes it a better, especially since they're both no pips. I personally don't agree. What do you think? Do you guys see any other power creep affecting the game, at least so far in Wave 2?

2. ophyjgjhnfn

ophyjgjhnfn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven’t seen anything outstanding but anything that replaces another card and either does it better for the same cost or cheaper for the same effect is creep.

3. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been thinking about this for a while. And I think I like the idea of small power creep in TCG's. I don't like TCG's in general, but some power creep does encourage purchasing new product, and prevents things like the reserve list on Magic from happening. Kind of like how it is Pokemon. Old cards can still fetch a price, but no one plays original Charizard in their deck these days. The old card is just outclassed by new ones after enough time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This card isn't power creep. A different form of damage application/removal? Yes, but not power creep. Had the card said remove 2 damage counters and apply it to an enemy, yeah that would have been power creep as this would completely overshadow Medic. Fling is a good card, but there will still be uses of Medic, especially if there are cards that come out that enhance repair amount.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Power creep is a favorite bogeyman in ccg’s, but take it from someone that played a few ccg’s without power creep, power creep is good.

I played a lot of AEG card games (Warlord, 7th Sea, L5R), and each had formats or periods with zero power creep. It outright killed 7th Sea and permanently crippled Warlord. Players need to be excited about new cards to buy product. No excitement means no sales and means the game dies. Even if the game doesn’t die, the meta game gets stale.

I have seen games with real power creep issues (All of the Decipher CCG’s). They sell tons of cards and are exciting to play because the meta is always in flux.