a question about packaging + poll

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Windsweeper II, Nov 8, 2016.

?

would you like a "greener" method of packaging for TF toys ?

1. yes

27 vote(s)
    84.4%
  2. no

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I'm not the greenest kid on the block, but i've been thinking: i like plastic toys but i dont need my plastic toys to be packaged in plastic, the production of plastic is harmfull to the enviroment and oil is a costly good, the gaining of wich has been known to be a cause of armed conflict.
    I know we are an insignificant factor in all these things compared to say the automobile industry, but this is just something i've been thinking about.
    I guess toycompanies use plastic packaging in part to adverise their toys on the shelves, to show you what you get and make them look their best. A miniature shopdisplay if you will.
    However i think the G1 fans among us at least will agree no post F1 toyline had a packaging that quite captured the imagination and fueled the nostalgics collectorsbug as those beautifully decorated cardboard boxes with the simple seetrough window.
    Offcourse they had plastic clamshells inside too.
    My question is to those in the know: would it be more expensive for Hasbro to package their toys in for the most part cardboard boxes with a clamshell made of recycleable material?
    Would a toy packaged in such a way be more likely to be damaged in case of impact?

2. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Not sure about greener but if they can be greener and go back to the older style of packaging when everything was in alt mode then I'd be all for it. Not a fan of everything in bot mode these days, especially since I have a lotta stuff misb. Looks better being uniform imo.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    We've seen some movement towards more sustainable packaging, such as paper twist ties, and in some cases, smaller or less complex boxes and cardbacks. Smaller toys as well helps with this. It seems unlikely to me we'll ever get rid of plastic clamshells and window boxes (people like to see the product they're buying for toys, for the most part), but the good news is there's an implicit economic driver for Hasbro to save on material and shipping costs, as well as an accompanying environmental benefit.

It might be more expensive in a short run (they might have to change their packaging tooling or re-engineer how they pack and ship their toys), but as plastic prices keep going up, there may be more and more incentive in the long-run to limit their use. I don't think that the use of cardboard/paper packaging vs. plastic would pose any additional risk to the toy during shipping.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Thanks for your response. I hadn't thought through it that logically yet :) 

5. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

I'd just like them to go back to packaging things in alt mode so the boxes could be smaller. *most* figures are substantially smaller/more compact in alt mode. I would think people that insist on keeping all the packaging would be all for that. And stores should too. Really, win win all around.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The toy hardly looks as impressive in alt-mode, though, maybe they sell better in robot mode.

Another intersection between sustainability and packaging could be increased use of biodegradable or cellulose-based plastics. Currently, I don't think they're cost-effective for an application like this, but down the road, who knows!

7. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Moving to TF Toy Discussion Forum...

8. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Instead of plastic clamshell inserts in boxes I'd prefer egg carton type recycled paper product in it's place. It's just the responsible thing to do.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    Yes, definitely. I think the importance of the environment is severely undervalued by a lot of people (especially the primary collector market of 35-45 year olds)
    I would definitely be for a recycled cardboard design for all figures, ala G1 when most everything was packaged in vehicle mode.

The paper twist ties were certainly a step in the right direction, so I think that if we can re-implement those and institute zero-plastic packaging styles, that would definitely be a vast improvement.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    lol who voted "no"?

11. geezerman402

geezerman402 Well-Known Member

I really dislike how much large bubble plastic my hobby ends up leaving me. It can be recycled where I live, but geez it takes up so much space!

12. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I miss the paper ties. They were easier to cut/remove without scissors, and they didn't leave little plastic bits in the carpet for my fiancee's cat to eat.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    My apologies for that, i was in doubt wether this should go into the toyforum because i considered this be a subject that was more about lifechoices and impact of the hobby on the enviroment than about the actual toys.

I can understand the choice. I left the choices rather ambigious because i didnt want people to take things like extra cost for the consumer etc into consideration but i can certainly understand anyone fearing greener packaging may cause toys to become more expensive by several dollars to vote no.

I did not know that. Certain typed of packaging for drinks are recycled where i live but i question to what extent and wether the process produces waste. But i didntvknow there where places where there is a recycle system forvother types of plastic.

14. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Nope. I want good old styrofoam packaging. ;) 

15. FortMax123

FortMax123 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I throw away all the packaging anyway.

16. GohanX

GohanX Well-Known Member

I open up everything, I'd love to have less trash when I'm done. A few weeks ago I grabbed Galvatron and a few deluxes and half my trash can was full of the packaging. And don't get me started on those stupid plastic ties...

17. SMB73

SMB73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I would. Now that we have an anti-climate change baffoon for a president, we need to drastically increase our recycling methods.

18. SMB73

SMB73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You know if you put the plastic tray and twist ties back in the original packaging, it takes up no more room than it diod when you brought it home. And besides, thast stuff should be going into a recycle container, not the trash.

19. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Personally, I wouldnt mind seeing a return to G1 style packaging. Were most of the figures were packed in boxes with the toy attached to a cardboard sleeve with form fitted plastic (or maybe paper twist tied in place instead). Then the smaller figures like Legends on down could be standard cardback with a formfit bubble, similiar to how Titanmasters are now. Might not be totally green but would cut down on plastic with just a plastic box window and a form fitted bubble instead of huge bubbles and trays.

• Like Like x 1
  20. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    I did, but kind of forgot to read the original post first. YAY FOR JUMPING THE GUN AND ASSUMING SOMETHING DIFFERENT COMPLETELY!!!!!

Really not opposed to it if they shrank the packaging and kept things in vehicle mode to reduce space whenever possible. As long as they don't go for those fucking open ended packaging like a lot of toys aimed at the little ones, I'm perfectly fine with it.