A petiton for the next Transformers series

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Repainted, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Repainted

Repainted Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Petition Change the name of the next Transformers series!

Started a petition to get them to change the current title for the next series. I get that the RiD subtitle goes back to the G1 days. Yes, it saw use after the Fox Kids series of the same name being attached to the Cybertron series as well. But this is just a lazy move by Hasbro and I think we can motivate them to do something about it.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Annoying it may be, I don't think there is any need to change it. Besides, by now all, or most, of the trademarks are most likely in-place for it. To change the title now could delay the show quite a bit. Which would only hurt it.

3. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Please, this is hardly anything to petition about. I don't see why anyone should care about the show's titled anyway.

4. Repainted

News Credits:
    Well, if you don't think it needs a name change, that's your opinion of which you're entitled. The trademarks argument could have some merit. But on the other hand as the petition page notes, 2 other series were renamed before their launch and mere months before hand. It's simply that this title has been done before. There's a lot of other options they could go with and it's sloppy work to put it back out there again when they can throw the RiD tagging in other ways.

5. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How is the subtitle a problem. They are robots in disguise after all.

6. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    BWAH HAHA... You're funny, Repainted.

moving on to more matters that actually mean something to someone for a good reason....

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    Why change the title? Because of this fandom's idiotic obsession with ways to shorthand series' titles for faster typing? Whatever.

8. puma

puma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    All we have to do is add the year after the series and we're done. It's easy. Watch.

RID (01)

RID (15)

Super easy.

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Of course we're entitled to our opinion. Any particular reason you feal the need to bring it up?
    You mentioned three in the petition. I can't speak on Beast Machines or Animated, but I know Animated's title wasn't changed shortly before launch.
    I don't see how it's at-all sloppy work. It's a phrase that's been reintroduced to the franchise, bith via the Prime toy line and the comic books. It makes perfect sense that they would want to use it in a more prominant way. Could also, for all we currently know, be a great fit for what they have planned for the show.

10. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

News Credits:
    This is the most pointless thread in the history of TFW2005.

11. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Besides, it's not as if kids today (the target demographic) were even BORN when the first Robots in Disguise line came out (over 10 years ago).

In addition, "Transformers Heroes" did NOT get renamed. When Hasbro delayed the concept due to the live action movie and when they allowed Cartoon Network to develop the series, "Heroes" died, even if many of the concepts found their way into Animated (just as elements of Transtech, namely Minicons, found their way into Armada).

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Call the original RID Car Robots.

Problem solved.

13. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Head of Illuminati Chapter 517

News Credits:
    ...are we seriously doing this? Seriously?

Ok, that's it, pack it in kids, its time for all of us to go to bed! We'll get a good night's sleep, try having a message board in the morning. I'll make sure the door is locked, Autovolt, you turn on the night light. Goodnight everybody!

14. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Balance

Some of the Sonic Fandom throws rage fits over Sonic's eye color.

Some of the Star Wars Fandom complains when anything happens.

And apparently some Transformers fans complain about subtitles of cartoons and try to petition to change it. For some reason.

I really don't see the problem. Confusion? Oh, that's easy to solve. Just call it by the year it was released in. That's how the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have done it since the original cartoon (TMNT 1987, TMNT 2003, TMNT 2012). Surely we could just call the new Transformers cartoon RID 2015 and the original RID 2000 (or by it's original name, Car Robots [CR]). Like I said, TMNT has done it this way for years and no one is confused.

15. Repainted

News Credits:
    It's a valid concern. I get where Transformers characters get reused names as there are many more of them than individual series/lines. Suppose the Aligned Continuity came to an end and a new wave of connected series was to succeed that. What if Hasbro continued this series name re-use and dubbed it say.. Generation One? Before anyone would know what it's about, I know there would be immediate outrage. We all obviously know what that name refers to now. But if they're finding it okay to do before hand, they're going to find it less of a problem to continue doing.

Maybe if Transformers were being distributed as a series as they used to be, having no shorthand wouldn't even matter. It's still Transformers, right? Since late 2011 though Hasbro has made and marketed more than one TF series that a time that was also running on TV. So, the added varying sub-name carries a little more importance. You need distinguish the offerings so you know you're getting to the one you want to see.

Perhaps adding an additional detail such as the year is that simple. But aren't we already going with sub-names after the Transformers name to differentiate the varied lines? How many more descriptions do we have to add to justify the re-use of a name on a level where a series is now concerned? With so many terms and elements that Transformers brand has conjured up for use, it's hard to believe they're out of options other than to reintroduce a name that's been done before. Seems like a lackluster effort to me.

1. I don't want this to be the usual round of blatant disrespect that I often see tied to an extensive debate. I'd rather be "Well, we agree to disagree, I'm okay with that." rather than "Your tha stupidist fan I ever met!" kind of response

2. I must have missed there being 3 series getting renamed. Thought only 2 prior had done it.

3. Transformers turns 30 this year and made it this far from a lot of competent people doing hard work to keep things afloat for us. I stand by my assertion of this being lazy planning that only undermines the effort that's been made to keep things right and successful for all involved. RID can be an applicable term, that I didn't discount. I think it's terrible that can't dig up a better, more original name to tie to this than going back to do what's already been done.

16. El Zilcho

El Zilcho Well-Known Member

Judging by a bunch of threads in the third party forum, eye color is quite the source of rage in the this fandom too.

Anyway, this doesn't seem like a real problem; as others have said, just call the new one RID15. That's pretty much what we do with TFTM86 and TFTM07 already.

17. Repainted

News Credits:
    Well, there's a fair amount of difference even between them already. One is "The Transformers: The Movie" and the other is simply "Transformers." I don't even need the addition of year releases to know which is which.

18. Repainted

News Credits:
    Well, TMNT never really needed to radically reinvent themselves as Transformers did with Beast Wars, then Beast Machines, etc. Also TMNT never had a "G2 phase" where a section of the popular aspect was re-released and re-colored for frequently baffling reasons. I support that they differ by years for series offerings because sub-names aren't as impactful or necessary for them.

19. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Why not rename it Robots in Disguise 2016? Most fans will call it that anyway

20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Petitions aren't going to accomplish anything, especially when they're coming from a group that makes up a fraction of the target audience/demographic.