Minor/Repaint: A kind of Computron (beginning of Srednam)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Srednam, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Srednam

Srednam All great creations start with an idea.

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    The release of Combiner Wars Scattershot back in 2015/2016 was the reason that I started customizing combiners. First thought when Scattershot came out was: I like the bot-mode. I like the alt-mode, but who the F... is Betatron ?!! I think many TF-fans shared that feeling back then. So ideas came to mind of how to create my own Computron.

I started with Strafe and although Air Raid was the best figure for bot and alt mode, I decided to use Firefly. Because for me this figure had the best possibility to store the 2 orange guns to create this characteristic Computron look.

Second I started with Nosecone. But how to create the drill look? I thought the nose of Firefly/Blast Off figure could settle for this conical look (only facing upwards), so I used a Blast Off figure to create Nosecone.

Next figure was Afterburner. I wanted to use a Dragstrip figure but ran into a ball joint problem swapping heads with other Deluxe figures (I hadn't dicovered Steam Shield's Bot Foundry back then) ending up with an Alpha Bravo figure as Afterburner. These were my first 3 custom figures ever.

For the fouth limb I temporarely put an Ironhide figure there for the simple reason that he was red. Only for the time being because other Deluxe figures were going to be released.

In the beginning I also used white stickers on Scattershot's legs just to see how the colors would turn out, later I did the actual white painting. This was the first 'prototype' of my version of Computron. Later I replaced all 4 limbs with better looking Deluxe figures, much more Computron like. But I'll show that later in another thread in which I'll show 5 different version of Computron (3 customs along with Hasbro and Takara).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 17
  2. Srednam

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Here some updated pictures with his upperlegs painted white. You will find 2 more changes. The blue squares on is hips are red and Nosecone's drill is silver instead of white.
    Ironhide was just for the time being, but I'm still considering how to replace him. With Lightspeed as a car (initially planned), but then he's the only ground vehicle or with Lightspeed as a helicopter (Nosecone and Afterburner have also different alt modes) and have an all flying crew. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  3. Srednam

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    During the process I created this guy as a side effect. I had 2 leftovers, an Alpha Bravo body and a Firefly head. Meet Sandstorm.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 11
  4. scuffed up rts bumblebee

scuffed up rts bumblebee dont reach for the stars youll burn up and die

Very cool

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Sweet work! Love what you've done.
    I did a Betatron, by creating new dinobot-like creatures, putting the G1 cartoon full circle.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Srednam

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Cool, have you posted it? Curieus to see it :) 

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stormvapor

• Like Like x 3
  8. AximusPrime

AximusPrime Well-Known Member

YouTube:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Srednam

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Real creative, nicely done. I have mentioned it before, this is why I joined the forum: to inspire others and also to get inspired and learn from others.

(And to let you in on a little secret: I'm working on an animal combiner in Combiner Wars/Power of the Primes line myself: Dinoking. But I'm finishing
    some other combiners first before I continue with this.)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Stormvapor

Most excellent! I cannot wait to see what you do next.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AximusPrime

YouTube:
    Really enjoying your work. At first I didn't know what to think about the choices you made for the limbs essentially being Aerialbot repaints, but when I looked closer and saw how certain design elements from your mold choices matched with those on the original molds or animation models (I.E. Afterburner's Rear wheel on his back being represented by Alpha Bravo's tail section or like how you painted the jet's nose to represent Nosecone's drill, etc.) I really couldn't help but appreciate the genius of it. Keep up the good work and I look forward to the additional versions of Computron you are working on as well as anything else you are releasing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Srednam

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    I know it has been a while since I posted something new. I'm working on several projects but cannot finish them. I'm running out of certain colors and my normal brand quit their acrylic line. I'm checking for a new brand but with shops closed for a long time because of Corona has put me on hold. Ordering paint just by looks of color on the closing cap or a picture on line has disappointed me before in the past. I really want to see the actual paint can in a shop. But let me show you the one guy that made me start customizing, I'm working on for over 5 years but never finished 100% (mostly Deluxe robot modes). But he is presentable and I have several options of showing him. I can pose him with Perfect Effect head (you would recognize my old avatar) or with Steam Shield head (see my current avatar) and with Takara UW Strafe or my own Hasbro repaint version of Strafe. I may have one more alteration in mind that I will be testing soon. Anyway enough talk, here he is in 2 versions (with the old limbs in the beginning of this thread and with the current limbs: Srednam Combiner Wars Computron Perfect Effect and Steam Shield head1.JPG

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  13. Srednam

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    And here is my own version of Strafe. For comparison I have put him next to the original Hasbro version. Combiner Wars Strafe Hasbro and Srednam.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  14. AximusPrime

YouTube:
    Good to see you getting to continue your work. I know what it's like to have projects you want to tackle and then life gets in the way as well as other factors outside of your control. I like the work you did on Strafe, looks better than the default Hasbro deco. It's more clean and unified and works for either the toy deco or the animation model. Hasbro threw on there some unnecessary orange for whatever reason and some of their paint choices are real head scratchers. Computron really shouldn't have been that hard to get right; but then if they did, then I guess customizers would have less to do.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Srednam

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    As you can see in the pictures earlier in the thread, I'm using a Deluxe Dead End G2 figure for my (first) version of Lightspeed where Hasbro used the Streetwise mould and Takara used the Wheeljack mould. And I have started a second version using the Power Of The Primes Jazz figure with Dragstrip wheels (these type of wheels were reused in the Jazz mould but without the silver paint). When I started this version of Lightspeed, I found out that the idea was not new and members had already posted pictures. And I have to agree, when it comes to the alt mode, the Jazz mould is the best looking option. Here is a picture of all 4 versions around the original G1 Lightspeed placed in the middle:

Srednam Combiner Wars 4 versions of Lightspeed.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  16. Rocka5438

Rocka5438 Well-Known Member

YouTube:
    i like the use of the jazz mould for lightspeed

• Like Like x 2
  17. Vanya

Vanya Well-Known Member

Yeah the Jazz mould is definitely the best match for the alt mode hands down.
    Damn shame there isn't an equally good match for the transformation scheme.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Srednam

Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Here they are as Computron's right leg:

Srednam Combiner Wars Computron with various Lightspeed.JPG

• Like Like x 2