A good choice for Skystalker?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nerroth, May 6, 2009.

1. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Hi.

As you may know, the Autobot Micromaster Countdown has recently been given a Universe 2.0 release - in this case, a re-deco of Cybertron Defence Red Alert.

(In my own mind, this new chassis is a trans-tector, and I'd envision the chest piece opening out to reveal a storage bay for the moon rover Micromaster Countdown. The toy doesn't do this, of course, but it's what I like to see it as, all the same...)

However, as yet, there is no similar update to Countdown's Decepticon nemesis, Skystalker.

If there was one, I'd like to see a mould used that would similarly act as a trans-tector chassis, which housed the Micromaster Skystalker when called upon to do so - though I don't mind if the toy itself couldn't quite manage that...

So, are there any good recommendations on what figure might be good as an updated form of Skystalker, and that might match up well against the new version of Countdown?

(Ideas for Groundshaker and Skyhopper would be welcome, too.)

2. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

I would say either Energon or Cybertron Jetfire. Both are the same Ultra size class as Countdown. Both transform into massive flying vehicles, like G1 Skystalker. And their head designs, particularly the Cybertron version, already resemble Skystalker's head very closely.

As for Groundshaker and Skyhopper, Classics Onslaught and Energon Bulkhead (respectively) seem like the logical choices. But neither is as good a match, I think, as Jetfire is to Skystalker.

3. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    are we talking about updating with their base alt mode or the micromaster itself?

4. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Energon Jetfire is a voyager rather than an Ultra but otherwise I agree. Maybe also consider Cybertron Wing Saber as Skystalker.

5. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    I meant to keep a ground vehicle mode for Skystalker - not necessarily a car, mind.

(The trick is that while the new Countdown has the rocket ship - which I like to call the Audentes - with him already, one might need a separate figure to represent Skystalker's interstellar shuttle. Mind you, it's not a deal-breaker if the new Skystalker stand-in didn't have it...)

Speaking of shuttles, I hear you on the Energon Jetfire thing, but I'm not a major fan of that particular mould - plus while its alt mode could work as the shuttle, it's a bit on the chubby side (and not quite as sleek as I'd like an update to the original shuttle would be).

Oh, and for both Groundshaker and Skyhopper, I'd want them to keep alt modes which (somewhat) matched their Micromaster forms, too.