A Gentle Reminder - TFSource Article

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maz, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    It’s very common now for Transformers discussion taking place on online forums or social media to be centred around Masterpiece or 3rd Party Masterpiece figures, with a ton of other excellent lines, initiatives, aesthetics or size classes receiving less attention or taking a back seat in people’s buying or interest. I myself wrote recently about how important it is to be even more focused than ever, and the article was primarily about the above two categories. This week, I let a few collectors remind us of the benefits and appeal of looking beyond Masterpiece and 3rd Party Masterpiece figures. Having covered Generation 1, Animated and Movie toys myself in the not-too-distant past, our contributors look at City bot-scale TFs, Unicron Trilogy era toys, Legends-class 3rd Party figures and current mainline series figures.

A Gentle Reminder | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the best
    Maz

2. Swoop

Swoop Well-Known Member

Got one question: When are you going to do a BW/BM article?? :ev: 

3. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    i'm all about the CHUG myself :p  (i really don't love the overly soft/smooth/cartoon-y aesthetic of the newer MP robot modes.)

4. Susha

Susha Well-Known Member

There's a movement growing!!! haha.
    nice one

5. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Great article Maz. I am a huge CHUG collector, followed by the Movies, Prime/RiD, then Animated. Its a shame a lot of focus is put on the high end stuff, cause some of the simpler stuff has some winners too.

6. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Another enjoyable read Maz..

We are a lucky fan base to have so many options/lines to pick and choose from...

I love me some MPs...but equally enjoy my movie/animated/prime/generations and other random figures from g1 through universe.

7. ron8675309

ron8675309 Exploding Salamander Of Exploding Salamanders

I can't afford most MP or 3P figures, so I'm out of those discussions either way. :tongue: 

8. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    here here! buy what you like and disregard all other opinions! its you collection and your hard earned money spent on it. be happy because you are and not because some told you would be!

9. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    When I watch it :p  I do have an original Primal in hand currently, and absolutely love it, so there is hope!

Absolutely right, mate. There are some Movie, Animated, generations and TFP figures that will never leave my hands, they are just spellbinding. Animated Blurr, Cyb Prime and Rodimus, TFP Wheeljack, ROTF Lockdown and basically all the large HA figures, Car Robots Side Burn, X-Brawn, prowl and of course the mighty JRX/Rail racer, Gen Springer, Sandstorm and Jetfire etc...

Couldn't agree more :thumb 

All the best
    Maz

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ha! All these things are still proper collection stuff, even if it's not MP. Here's a challenge, you should find and interview a guy who collects One Steps! Impossible right? Who the hell buys those things?!

Oh wait.

11. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Already interviewed that guy, he spent the whole time talking about the Tories...and Tomorrow Never Dies.

All the best
    Maz

12. Driskull98

Driskull98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Great articles, Maz!

I hope you don't mind, but I'm citing some of them for a paper I'm writing. A lot of the topics you've covered are excellent!

13. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    great article and photos.

can we get a "keeping up with the kreons" feature next?

-

14. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Sausage puns are the wurst

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Tumblr:
    Nice job Maz! I have always felt that too much attention was being focused on the MP and 3P lines.

15. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    There's another angle other than MP/3P attention drowning out chug;

- people starting to compare mainline toys straight to mp and high end 3p; ergo, unfair comparisons
    - somehow the silly notion came into being that only MP can truly be G1 style loyal. Ergo; that chug ahould be loose interpretations. I am glad to see Hasbro is going against this by making lots of Titans Return figures very G1 evocative.

16. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

Great article, Maz. While I have been collecting mostly Beast Wars stuff for the past year, and I'm only now getting into Masterpiece, I do still agree with your article. I collected the Cybertron stuff when it first came out, when I was little, which probably helped shape my taste in Transformers as a whole. Even today, the figures are excellent. Landmine is simple but excellent, as are Prime, Megatron, and a lot of the scouts. The only scout I had that I remember disliking was Lugnutz, because I thought he was just too cluttered and hard to pose. Also, I disliked Thunderblast because I thought her back kibble was way too big (I didn't mind the shellforming, nor do I mind it on different figures now), which made her hard to pose.

Also, I really like CHUG, since it give us an idea of what the characters could have been had the toy engineering technology at the time been evolved enough. At least, with the interpretations. The really G1 figures that have been coming out look really good, as well.

17. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

The part regarding the Unicron trilogy by Dan Ghile struck a chord with me. Not because of the fiction, because that I found dreadful, but because of the toys.

Although I've sold most of my figures from those lines, lately I find that I'm becoming nostalgic for that era of Transformers. The figures were in general extremely well made (especially Cybertron and Energon) and they were more original. Not so slavish G1 as today seems to be the norm, but original designs with on occasion a nod to G1.

I liked that. The brand felt more alive and fresh at the time. I miss that.

18. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Awesome article, Maz. I get tired of hearing about how MPs and third party stuff are what "real" collectors have. Third party accessories are great, but give me affordable, official figures every time.

I've got a few MPs, but I'm all about Classics through Generations. I'm loving Combiner Wars more than I have any other TF toyline in a long time. Can't wait for Titans Return, and I'm excited for Fort Max! :D 

[​IMG]

19. Napalm

Napalm BOASTFUL MANFISH!!! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Galaxy Convoy is one of my all time favourite Transformers full stop. Master Galvatron is one of the most beautiful Transformers full stop.

When I get a new Detolf I am so creaming the best of my Galaxy Force toys out of storage and into a display. That's.. gonna be a lot of toys. They do hold up remarkably well and as Dan says in his segment there's just so much to them.

20. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Ayatollah of Roggenrola

Part of what makes TF collecting so unique is the sheer volume and variety of product. You can pick and choose which lines to collect, and every iteration seems to have its fans.

I've recently completed my collections of Alternators and Action Masters, and I'm close to getting all the WFC/FOC toys. I love my CHUG and RID/Car Robots as well.
    I still say we need to get Maz hooked on Action Masters :D