Minor/Repaint: A better Mousetrap

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by DJsCustoms, Nov 5, 2016.

1. DJsCustoms

DJsCustoms Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Generations Rattrap was absolutely perfect...
    As a mold...
    Almost...
    But as a paint job, it needed a lot of work for the robot mode.

Modification:
    ~ Pretty simple mod is that I gave him a second Bomb arm from another generations rattrap. I like my symmetry.
    ~ Additionally I sanded the handles on the bombs and the holes they fit into the arms. This allowed them to slide in/out easily without having to worry about ruining the paint on the bombs.
    ~ And the guns are glued together because mine was annoyingly loose and liked to swivel when combined. Not that I ever wanted to display it otherwise anyways.

Paint Apps:
    Went over a lot of the areas with a nice bronze paint to make it more show-accurate. Gold shoulders discs, silver shoulder gears, fleshy pink thighs, a nice silver braincase, got rid of his lightpipping and gave him some proper red eyes/mouth instead.
    The gun and bumbs were actually pretty hard to paint. Neither one actually matches their design in the show in terms of molding, so I had to take some creative liberties on them.

Overall I'm a LOT happier with Rattrap now. A shame you have to mis-transform his feet to defend against his mortal enemy; a slight breeze.
    IMG_3289.JPG IMG_3290.JPG IMG_3291.JPG IMG_3292.JPG IMG_3294.JPG IMG_3295.JPG IMG_3296.JPG IMG_3297.JPG IMG_3298.JPG IMG_3299.JPG IMG_3300.JPG IMG_3343.JPG

And don't worry about the rattrap lacking his bomb arm. I have...
    plans.png
    ...better plans for him.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Butuman

Butuman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great work! Only thing I'd add is some black paint on his rat mode fingernails like in the show, but otherwise awesome custom sir!

3. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Awesome!

4. DJsCustoms

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Wow I can't believe I missed that. Shame on me. I even gave the rat eyes a white speckling to match the show.

5. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Excellent job! The bronze paint is a nice touch.

6. MarinerPrime

MarinerPrime Well-Known Member

Plan to do the same with mine, though I was crazy/dumb enough to actually split the rat head along its seam to fix the maddening sticking of the neck shroud inside the rat head and the misaligned seam at the back end of the head (a minor error in molding). Since it's apart now, I'm looking into replacing the front teeth with show accurate ones.

I'm also going to try some more significant re-engineering on my copy around the rat but, because I don't know if it's a common issue, but the rear flap on mine looks as if it's large vertical pin was jammed to the point of compressing the housing, causing the transformation in that area to be REALLY finicky.

Question, how loose are the front legs on yours? One of mine always works itself out right out of the box, and I'm considering sanding and modifying that socket assembly to allow those legs to rotate to the bottom sides of the backpack to echo his show model and original toy. I will probably fill in the pegs of the leg pin and glue a large flat head pin to prevent them from popping off.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  7. DJsCustoms

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So far all Three Rattraps I had bought had perfectly tight joints all around, so I've never had any problem with that. The only time the front rat legs pop off the backpack is if I spin them completely downards to match the show model, but even then it's more that the spin works them LOOSE and I just push them back in to correct it. Doesn't get to the point where they actually pop off or anything.

As far as modifying the rear legs to be part of his backpack; That'll make the robot mode look better and give him more stable standing(without having giant rat feet mistransformed to hold him upright), but you'll definitely be giving up the look of the beast mode a lot. Since the arms fold into the cavity of the lower robot legs for beast mode, I'm not sure how you could add a backing to them to compensate for moving the rat legs to his backpack. But I would definitely love to see the result if you can manage it.

8. MarinerPrime

MarinerPrime Well-Known Member

I think you misunderstand.

The FRONT rat legs on mine are the ones that I plan to modify so they can partly imitate the position of the rear legs on the CG model's backpack.

9. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Never saw what hit 'em!

Now that's BW S1 Rattrap done right. Hat's off to you sir.