Heavy/Scratch: _Safe_ Animated Lockdown Wrist-fix

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by sdmacleod, Jun 3, 2018.

1. sdmacleod

sdmacleod Well-Known Member

DSC04058_sm.JPG
    Lockdown is a beautiful badass - but his wrists are ridiculous, right?

There's several other tutorials out there to fix him, but I find them all a little dangerous for fingers or for Lockdown (trying to stick a knife or soldering iron into a tight spot without slipping? Bad!).

I've fixed my entire Lockdown army, and documented my safe method here.

We'll drill holes in the rear window area to push the pins out. Fortunately, Reprolabels will cover them if you have them. They're pretty minor, regardless.

Tools:
    -precision Phillips screwdriver
    -hobby vise, or clamps that can provide a 'third hand'
    -soldering iron
    -pin punch & hammer / automatic punch
    -sharp hobby knife / X-acto blade
    -precision drill bit (up to 1 mm, the ones for a Dremel/rotary tool are perfect)
    -1/16" drill bit (the ones with a hex shank are perfect)
    -"razor" saw / fine hobby saw (optional, but best)

DSC04061_sm.JPG
    1) Unscrew Lockdown's arms at the elbows.

DSC04062_sm.JPG
    2) We'll be popping the wrist pins out - so if you've already applied Reprolabels like I did, carefully peel them off. Wash your hands first, lift the edges with a hobby knife, and peel carefully. Stick them to a clean piece of plastic in the meantime.

DSC04063_sm.JPG
    2b) Leave the sticky residue so the labels stick back down. Try NOT TO TOUCH IT!

DSC04064_sm.JPG
    3) Examine what we're doing - the pin reinforcement strikes the back of the hand. You _could_ remove some of that, but cutting the hand is simpler.

DSC04066_sm.JPG
    3b) The mark inside the wrist from attempting to flex his wrists! Lame.

DSC04067_sm.JPG
    4) Precision drill bit, for a Dremel. You'll use this by hand, so no power needed.

DSC04069_sm.JPG
    4b) This is tricky. By eye, align the drill bit with the pin from the end. Then do it again from the inner forearm side. You're cross-referencing the drill bit using two points of reference. Go back and forth once or twice until you're confident that you're aligned.

DSC04070_sm.JPG
    4c) Spin the bit to drill a hole by hand. Careful! These bits break easily. About 2mm in, you'll hit the pin.

DSC04071_sm.JPG
    4d) Still going...

DSC04072_sm.JPG
    4e) Hole drilled. This is your pilot hole.

DSC04073_sm.JPG
    5) Now use the 1/16" bit to follow the pinhole.

DSC04074_sm.JPG
    5b) Still going...

DSC04075_sm.JPG
    5c) Stop when you hit the pin.

DSC04076_sm.JPG
    5d) Remove the little bits of plastic, especially if you'll be sticking labels back here.

DSC04077_sm.JPG
    6) Clamp the forearm in something. I had my soldering iron set up on the left, so the upper forearm faces left.

DSC04078_sm.JPG
    7) Get your soldering iron warming up. Find a sturdy pin-pushing tool. This precision screwdriver is actually too big to fit the hole we drilled.

DSC04079_sm.JPG
    7b) Get your pin-pushing tool lined up...

DSC04080_sm.JPG
    7c) IT'S SOLDERING TIME! No, actually, I just wanted to all-caps that.
    THIS IS THE MOST DELICATE PROCEDURE! BE CAREFUL! If you slip with the iron, or hold it too long, you'll damage the forearm visibly.
    Touch the soldering iron to the end of the pin (the end in the UPPER FOREARM, _not_ the one we drilled out. Start pushing on the pin from the _other_ end (the one we drilled). For my iron, I counted to about ten before the pin moved.

DSC04081_sm.JPG
    7d) The pin popped out - I eventually used the precision screwdriver in a Leatherman tool.

DSC04082_sm.JPG
    7e) Disassembled.

DSC04084_sm.JPG
    8) If you get the pin too warm before pushing it out, the forearm plastic will deform a bit around the hole. Trim it down if necessary.

DSC04085_sm.JPG
    9) Score your cutting lines. You've cutting straight in from the joint (horizontal). The vertical cut is halfway across the flat back of the hand.

DSC04086_sm.JPG
    9b) You'll cut this face (the bottom of the hand) from the bottom corner of the rounded edge, straight to the center of the flat back.

DSC04087_sm.JPG
    9c) Better image.

DSC04088_sm.JPG
    10) Hobby / Razor saw. For those who haven't seen them.

DSC04089_sm.JPG
    10b) You may want to secure the hand in your vice for this. Up to you. Follow your line, work slowly.

DSC04090_sm.JPG
    10c) Vertical cut complete. For the horizontal cut, lay the saw flat across the pin joint face.

DSC04091_sm.JPG
    10d) Cuts complete.

DSC04092_sm.JPG
    11) Cuts complete. But the corner probably isn't very square.

DSC04093_sm.JPG
    11b) Use the hobby knife to clean up the corner, and the edges.

DSC04094_sm.JPG
    12) Test fit time.

DSC04095_sm.JPG
    12b) Align the pin hole, and make sure you're happy with his hand position.

DSC04096_sm.JPG
    13) Reassembly. Set the arm on something about 1/4 inch tall (or more) so it sits flat (the car spoiler should hang off the back). Push the pin by hand. Some pins are different! The textured part should be in the middle, or the top.

DSC04098_sm.JPG
    13b) Use a pin punch and hammer to tap the pin down until it is just below flush. I used an automatic punch, which needs no hammer.

DSC04099_sm.JPG
    13c) The pin should be just below the surface.

DSC04101_sm.JPG
    14) DONE! Lockdown is a pleased evil bastard! Reprolabels cover up the window holes. They're barely noticeable on Stealth and RiD Lockdown.

DSC04102_sm.JPG
    The Lockdown clone army celebrates an end to gimpy-wrist-dom.

DSC04103_sm.JPG
    Let's dance! Sing it! _Y_M_C_A_!

DSC04104_sm.JPG
    ... we mean _L_O_C_K!

DSC04105_sm.JPG
    Strike a battle pose! We're done here.

I hope this still helps somebody out there.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 13