9.0 Earthquake Hits Off The Coast Of Japan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zambot, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Mayor of Tokyo, if there was EVER a time to SHUT THE F&@$K UP, you missed it. Just thought you ought to know.

3. tfmad2010

tfmad2010 Oh Hai Internet!

News Credits:
    *Ultra Facepalm*

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Ohio? In the current situation, I'd say the chances of radioactive dust getting there are very slim, especially considering the wind changed direction. Keep in mind even if the wind was moving the radioactive cloud eastwards, it'd take several days to reach the US, lest alone Ohio. During that time, the cloud will spread itself thin, rain will wash out particles... That is, under the current conditions.

5. frank911

frank911 Member

just hope the damage is contained. things are going from bad to worse for japan.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Good news / bad news:

Good news: These fires are coming from spent fuel pools, which aren't actively involved in the nuclear reaction anymore, and have lower levels of uranium in them. They're not as hot as the reactor core, and keeping them under enough water should keep them safe and contain any radiation.

Bad news: They are still very "hot", both thermally and radioactively, and they have significant concentrations of radioactive byproducts from nuclear decay, which are somewhat harder to "choke" in terms of reaction. They also don't have the same core containment as the active reactor fuel rods.

The problem in a lot of this is that very little information has been provided relative to the actual levels of radiation being released and detected, and how those levels correspond to actual dangers. Levels are usually given in rems or sieverts (which are easily convertable), and here's some info on the scale.

Sievert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's important to remember that humans are exposed to radiation on a daily basis from numerous sources, and that (as many forms of radiation are detectable in minute amounts) detection of radiation doesn't automatically translate to immediate danger. There are also differences between acute and long-term dosages (much as there are differences between the effects on the human body of binge drinking and long-term alcohol use) Certainly, the goings-on at the Fukushima facility require immediate attention and response, but at least at this point I do not think people on this side of the pacific are in any real danger, and even in the (god forbid) event of catastrophe, there will almost certainly be time for people in north america to be warned and for them to take appropriate protective actions. So don't go stockpiling iodine pills yet, folks, and certainly don't start giving them to young children.

It is likely it will be a long time before the full impact of this event is known on the surrounding environment, but there is a wide spectrum of possibility, especially as the situation is still not resolved (though hopefully there will be positive progress soon). My hopes for now, however, is that the protective measures in place at the facility for the workers remaining there are sufficient to prevent health problems, and that these same workers will be looked after properly once this event is over as recognition of their hard work to keep the public safe.

It's also very sad that the safety measures keeping people a safe distance from the plant are styming rescue and recovery efforts in the region as well, so there's another reason I hope things are resolved as soon as possible.

7. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I read somewhere that the prime minister is furious at the Tokyo Electric Company for the lack of information as to what the hell is exactly going on at the Daiichi plant.

Supposedly the company has had a history of keeping things under wraps.

8. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    I think the same could be said of many similar organizations, and certianly its troubling, especially when combined with the rumors of safety violations and ignoring reports calling for modifications, but it's also possible that there is simply uncertainty due to the nature of the situation and the TEC is unwilling to make statements that later turn out to be wrong.

9. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
  10. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    From Stu Levy:

All I've seen on the local media here is panic over the nuclear reactors. While that shouldn't be ignored, it's getting far too much focus when there's a real crisis going on for tens if not hundreds of thousands of Japanese residents.

11. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

Yeah, like not actually telling anyone how many reactors there really are (6).
    It wasnt known when the site was first opened that there was even 4!

12. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Do you have any info on this, as it seems somewhat suspect. Reactors are licensed individually, so even if it wasn't common public knowledge, TEPCO would have had to tell the government how many reactors they were building.

13. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Trust me when I say this...don't worry about it. That's on the other side of the world...chances of that even getting to our West Coast are remote.

14. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    FYI.

Nuclear reactors, specifically the model that is currently in dire straits in Japan, has a 3-tier containment system:

1) The container the fuel rod resides in
    2) The container that holds all the containers with fuel rods
    3) The concrete structure that holds the container that holds the other container with fuel rods in it

The containment emergenies start with:

- Contain #1
    - If #1 cannot be contained, contain #2
    - If #2 cannot be contained, contain #3

The reactor is currently working on containing #3. The explosions have opened holes in the other two parts of containment.

If a meltdown does occur, the chances of anything horrible hitting the United States is low. For starters, you'd need an incredibly strong current low in the atmosphere. Once the particles get high enough in the atmosphere, they will disperse to the point that they cannot cause any harm by the time they even come close to reaching the Western Coastline of the United States.

Basically, you'd need a High pressure system so large that it stretched from Japan to California. While that's not unheard of it, it is rather rare this time of year and happens very infrequently overall, year by year.

Think "hurricane hits California from the west" ... doesn't happen very much at all. 99.9999% of all "hurricane" or "tropical storms" rise up from South America and follow the coastline through Central America and Mexico and end up clipping the corner of southern California, then the winds change and it goes inland and dies in Nevada.

Just sayin'. Calm down. You don't need iodine pills unless you can see your very own nuclear powerplant outside. And even then, if you become paranoid and start popping these pills you can actually develop hypo-thyroidism ... getting too much iodine CAN be bad for you in prolonged states.

15. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I blame the news for all this panic their inducing in everyone. They make it seem like this is a doomsday scenerio when in reality, while still bad, is far, FAR from it....

16. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

Sorry, i misheard. The government knew, but the people didnt. Still shady. Apparently it is also rare for a power plant to have 2 reactors, yet alone 6!

17. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, that's because they know the majority of the public (regardless of what country) will listen to it. Its practically fear mongering. Look at all the hype about 2012. Nuff said right? Me myself, I can't wait. If anyone is gonna be locking themselves up in bunkers and underground facilities for the next 40 - 50 years.....please let me know your address and please leave all doors and windows unlocked :D 

j/k.....

18. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Fear and drama sells/gets the ratings.

It's up to the viewer to judge for him/herself whether or not the stuff they're hearing is relevant or not.

19. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Swine flu, bird flu, SARS...etc... Just saying.

20. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Actually it's not. Many nuclear facilities have around that number, at least the ones I'm familiar with here in Canada. Daini facility also has 4 units, so it can't be that rare to have more than 2 even in Japan.

Hell, most power plants period, be they fossil or hydro or nuclear based, have multiple units from 2-8. Its all about capacity, infrastructure efficiency, load requirement management and redundancy due to mechanical failure / preventative maintenance.

It seems strange that you're saying the public didn't know about the number of units though, can you post where this is coming from? The information would have been publically available, and the construction of a nuclear reactor is a long process requiring tons of workers, and they do them one at a time, so lots of people would have worked at the facility over its 40 year history. I've heard about TEPCO having safety scandals, arguably insufficient specifications for earthquake resistance, and noncompliance regarding modification recommendations, but not hiding entire reactors.

In slightly good news, supposedly the levels of radiation at the boundary of the site have dropped, and a few hours ago workers were let back into the facility to continue their efforts to deal with the reactors.