9.0 Earthquake Hits Off The Coast Of Japan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zambot, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

The problem is also that the steam produced could be contaminated by the exposed rods. Remember, they've evacuated a 12 mile area around the reactor and a US Navy carrier 60 miles offshore moved away because of the levels they detected.

- Coeloptera

2. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

Wow...seriously mods?:rolleyes: 

Anyway, things just seem to keep getting worse for these poor people. Now workers are missing from the Fukushima plant after the explosions.
    Great...

3. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I have loved ones living in Singapore and i'm curious about how things are going there. I know it's quite aways from Japan but still worried.

They told everyone on the news yesterday to stay out of the rain and close windows or something, from what I was told. That got me pretty worried.

EDIT: My fiancee and her family are in Singapore right now. Yesterday she said she saw her niece praying in front of the t.v. because she was afraid the radiation from Japan would get them. It was heart wrenching. I'm honestly not sure what the situation is right now in Japan with the nuclear reactors. I keep seeing conflicting reports everywhere.

4. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Permit me to rant a little. Today is my sister's birthday (she lives in NYC) so I called her up but she's in no mood to celebrate. It turns out her best friend's parents were killed in Sendai :(  and she's clearly worn out having to comfort her. Apparently, she's also been trying to convince our Mom and Grandma, currently in Saitama, to evacuate. When I asked, "What for? Saitama isn't in any immediate danger." She ranted at me, "Because of the radiation! Haven't you been following the news?" Admittedly, I hadn't quite gotten caught up on the radiation situation at the time. But, when I told her that I get most of my news from online blogs she told me to follow the news on TV or Japanese news itself. She's clearly shaken up but had she been more of sound mind I might have told her that I don't trust mainstream news: that I believe it to be biased, sensationalistic, and misinformed and I didn't like the fact that she was being too taken in by it. But she's clearly still dealing with having to comfort her best friend so I really couldn't say anything. *sigh*

5. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  6. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I give the people of Japan tons of respect. They have one disaster after another. No power. Food is getting scares. And yet they remain very civil. No riots. No looting. Stores in japan has drastically discounted the prices on essentials. People patiently in line to buy them.

I feel sad that I live in a place where people will riot and loot because the home team won a basketball championship.

7. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

Yeah or like in this idiotic country, riot over a football game (soccer to those fo you in the US).

8. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    Cultural differences man......

9. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

Sometimes to get the best news for your country you have to get it from outside of your country. It's sad and scary how blindly people believe the media.

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Tough times, and Japan is better prepared for this kind of thing than anyone. Still though no one really expected something this big & so soon.
    Hope everyone & their families are safe.

There's alot of members here that live in Japan or have families there.
    If you know any , check up on them.

11. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

The only one I know and talked to is Nightbirdy. Anyone here knows anything?

12. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Let's not take a religious turn here...this thread has become a place to discuss this tragedy and a way of coping for others. I imagine that if it's locked there won't be another thread.

13. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Respect our Rules and Policies when posting please.

Breaking the rules will result in the removal of posting privileges in this thread and infractions.

14. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    E.C.R., I'm sorry to hear of the losses close to your family and it's commendable of your sister to be giving comfort at this time. Not surprised she didn't feel like celebrating. Perhaps she also could use comfort from you?

I've heard on the news today that a lot of people are thinking to get out of Japan now if they can because of the risk of radiation. I can understand how a lot Japanese people are nervous, even if they aren't within immediate risk areas. Nuclear threats are a sensitive topic for the Japanese. And there's concern that radiation leaks could even come down with rainfall, so people are being advised to stay indoors.

Yes, I've been wondering about Nightbirdy too. And isn't Masabon from Japan too? Anyone heard anything from them?

15. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Nightbirdy doesn't post often to begin with but I think she lives in the Tokyo area which means she's probably alright.

Masabon has posted recently that he's okay.

16. Razerwire

News Credits:
    According to CNN.com the workers at the Daiichi plant have suspended operations and evacuated.

That is definitely not a good sign.

17. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Not at all.

18. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    So how bad in the radiation scenario supposed to get?
    It just shakes me up thinking about radiation getting over here when I have a 7 and 2 year old daughter.

19. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I hope and pray that we are not witnessing the beginning of another Chenobyl right now. Please let there be good news soon about the nuclear reactors so the relief efforts can begin. The people of Japan need to rebuild their country, not be forced to evacuate because of the radiation. If a complete meltdown occurs a good size portion of the country will be no man's land for a very long time and many people will get sick and possibly die from the fallout. That country cannot take anymore tragedy right now.

20. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    The workers are now back, but low levels of radiation have drifted over Tokyo.

I really hope this situation gets better and not worse...