9.0 Earthquake Hits Off The Coast Of Japan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zambot, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Seriously, if there's one thing I admire about the japanese, it's their tenacity. No reports of looting or crime or mayhem, everyone working together as best they can while also staying calm, it's truely awe-inspiring.

2. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

I'm just waiting for my Naval Reserve unit to set up a task force to go down there. So far, all the US Navy personnel there are Active Duty. Come'on Navy, I'm fluent in Japanese, I grew up in Japan, give me an opportunity to volunteer to go there already.

3. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    It really is quite inspiring watching the collective Japanese response to the disaster. So composed, organised, efficient, considerate to one another and united. They're shaken and scared by what's happened, and some have lost everything, but they're still working through the devastation quickly and without fuss. Amazing.

But the talk of unstable nuclear reactors has me worried... Please let them keep it under control.

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  5. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

You may want to call your unit and explain that to them and you might get TAD. Worth a try, I know it's more than likely all hands on deck.

6. machinegeist

machinegeist Victory not Vengeance

^^THIS^^
    I also am awed by the strength they show in these harsh times, and seeing the live footage nearly put me to tears. Best hopes and wishes to the Japanese people, may your loved ones be safe.

7. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  8. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    I have to say, amidst all the terrible news, this is one silver lining that is just plain inspirational. I could only hope or dream that my community will pull together like this in times of disaster.

It's times like these I wish I could do more than donate some money, but I guess we do what we can.

9. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Phew! My buddies in Japan are safe! Thank God! :D 

10. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

Man, some of these videos are scary as fuck!!

That one of the guy standing on the street everything is fine, then the water starts coming in, 2 minutes later, all the buildings are floating away, and he's made his way up the sidewalk. Totally insane.

Imagine the videos that are gonna start rolling in, once more people get back to safety and have a chance to upload videos and what not.

11. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    That is great news! I bought a jacket from a guy in Japan from ebay two weeks ago. I hope he is alright

12. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, that video was amazing, and sad. I mean it happens so fast and to think that in those few minutes it's destroying things that could have taken lifetimes to build. Sad, but at least it did look like most people had evacuated to higher ground by that time.

13. Zigholtul

Zigholtul I am the Waffle Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man there's quite a plethora of bigotry on facebook concerning the earthquake and yet somehow its karma for something that occurred over 70 years ago. Seriously the amount of assholes that populate this country just utterly pisses me off.

14. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

How...that´s inhumane and yet so awesome. I salute you sir.

15. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    CNN has a before and after slider. Its just amazing how in some places there are lakes that weren't there before. Some areas look like they have minimal damage but others are just totally gone.

Before and after: Earthquake rocks Japan

16. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

17. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Japan's Nuclear Situation - be a bit worried - The Something Awful Forums

18. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I don't really understand nuclear reactors completely, and I tried googling this, but how do the rods keep generating heat, even though the reactors have been shut off, and sumberged under water for days? Apparently, if the water drops, they still generate heat and melt releasing radiation. How does that work?

19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Nuclear power is based off a chain reaction, where in this case uranium is bombarded with neutrons such that it accelerates the natural rate of radioactive decay, spitting out more neutrons which decay other uranium atoms. This creates, as a byproduct, heat and various decayed elements, such as cesium and hydrogen. Many of these byproduct decay elements are unstable themselves, which continue to decay, spitting out more heat and neutrons.

So even after the main reaction is choked off, there's still some "momentum" of the reaction that continues to generate heat, along with whatever byproduct materials are left over are still giving off their own heat.

That and the reactor was likely very hot to begin with, and it takes a long time to dissipate the heat due to thermal conductance, heat capacity, etc.

What the water is doing is absorbing as much of the heat as it can (water has a pretty high thermal conductivity and heat capacity), and then boiling off, a phase transformation which absorbs even more heat. If I'm not mistaken, seawater also can act as a neutron sink due to the dissolved salts, and the boric acid added alongside also accomplishes the same task. If there's insufficient water, the rods can't dissipate the heat (as air and/or vaccuum are both terrible conductors of heat), their temperature rises, and they melt, along with pretty much anything immediately around them.

20. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

This was posted a bit earlier in the thread and is lengthy (cred to Paladin) and gives a laymans view of nuclear plants and how they function:
    Why I am not worried about Japan’s nuclear reactors. | Morgsatlarge – blogorific.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011