86 Leader Swoop BTS and design process

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Seanprime, Apr 1, 2024.

1. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    Wait your saying these two are of the same quality looks wise? The ER Seeker is literally taken from a 10+ year old design and looks it still mostly. Swoop clear as day had a lot more lead-time and work on him done. Night and day. This guy has a waist swivel which already blows the ER Seeker out.

• Like Like x 8
  2. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

So many seemingly cut corners, This is giving me Squeezed an extra toy out of the budget vibes,

3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In what way? He exactly matches the design standard set by all the other Dinos.

• Like Like x 11
  4. sikkusushotto

sikkusushotto Well-Known Member

I was wondering aloud if Hasui was under similar limitations while developing Swoop. Looking at the sketches again in detail, I can see where one decision led to another led to another etc. If time does not permit another design loop or alternatives to be explored then you're stuck with whatever you have plus your cascade of effects.

For example, if you start with a set of requirements that Swoop's wings look a certain way folded in robot mode with no leeway and work from there, you end up with this:
    upload_2024-4-2_15-3-11.png upload_2024-4-2_15-8-27.png

If you start with the shape of the wings in dino mode with no additional folding you get this, which is what Hasbro were trying to avoid I think:
    upload_2024-4-2_15-9-39.png

But there are other options. Fanstoys and Gigapower use a different method to get the shape in robot mode:
    upload_2024-4-2_15-16-1.png

I don't think that solution is more complex than what they ended up with, which means maybe there wasn't time to explore alternative options.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Seanprime

Seanprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think some fans let themselves miss out on otherwise good-great figures over nitpicks. That’s my take.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
    • Like Like x 22
  6. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    20240401_194921.jpg

• Like Like x 23
  7. Poe Ghostal

Poe Ghostal Star Seeker

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yes, letting the perfect be the enemy of the good has been a constant in the collector communities since the dawn of online forums.

And of course, the people who are more or less happy with what they're getting either don't bother posting or aren't even visiting forums in the first place.

• Like Like x 9
  8. Neko-bot77

Neko-bot77 Face it, we're doomed.

News Credits:
    I'm happy with Swoop. I'm just tired of arguing with people who don't. Is it perfect? Nope. Is it, to me, a toy worth buying? Let's just say that I'm counting down the hours until the preorder goes live. Currently a little over 51 hours to go, BTW.

• Like Like x 10
  9. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still find arguing with people over a toy to be a tad ludicrous even though it's an ongoing thing online. If you like the figure buy it. No justification needed. If you don't like it then don't. Again mo justification needed and if you change your mind from not buying to buying then that's fine too. Again no justification needed

I'll be preordering a few on Thursday. Everyone bar sunstreaker

• Like Like x 2
  10. KraegorStark

KraegorStark Well-Known Member

YouTube (Custom URL):
    I can't wait to complete my SS86 dinobots! I think he looks great!

Swoop was the first Dinobot I got to play with as a kid. The dactyl nose was broke and there was no accessories, but I loved him anyway.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lucky you. Where I was g1 swoop was a myth. It never reached Ireland and Rumors were there were some in America. One guy writing in to the letters page in marvel UK stated that his aunt had got him swoop and shockwave in America. These were two figures that took on legendary status here. Sure grimlock too was hard to track down at least at that time and so too the constructions. Crazy how times change

• Like Like x 5
  12. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    G1 Swoop was the only Dinobot I never saw as a kid, so getting this one and completing the full team is like fulfilling a dream. Cliche, but it's true.
    It'll also allow me to toss the OS KO of the PotP one I have been reluctantly using as a stand-in.

• Like Like x 4
  13. KraegorStark

KraegorStark Well-Known Member

YouTube (Custom URL):
    In Tulsa, OK, back in the '80's, we had a Sears, Toys R Us, and Kaybee toys. Supply wasn't a problem. Money was. Most of my Transformers were second hand from trading with friends. The first Transformer I got new was Topspin. My best friend got Twintwist, so I got to play with both.

Oddly enough, the only Sludge I got to play with as a kid was a KO. I managed to get a slightly loved Grimlock as a kid and it is one of my few childhood Transformers I still have. I didn't get a Slag or Snarl until adulthood.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think some would do well to be more cognizant that not every figure is going to perfect. There's probably always something that could have been done better, but we have to gauge whether something is good enough to go along with the collections that have already been built.

I was bummed that SS AOE Galvatron had feet sticking out the back of the truck, but as a Voyager scaled figure of an impossible design that fits with the rest of SS, I ultimately accepted it.

Are there areas for improvement on Swoop? Sure, but he looks perfectly good alongside the other 4 Dinobots you've probably already bought. He's G1 Swoop.

And then of course there's always the 'redo' discussion but... we just devoted 4 years worth of SS Leaders to a full G1 Dinobot team. We're good, right?

• Like Like x 4
  15. MeGrimlock78

MeGrimlock78 Well-Known Member

Just from the pics, he's well on his way to being my third favourite Swoop toy.
    Not that anyone asked for my list, but here it goes:
    Animated
    G1
    AoE
    PotP
    Classics
    Titans Return
    Energon

I only had the original three Dinobots as a kid, but in my 20's was able to snag a complete unbroken Swoop off eBay for a reasonable price. He's a little dinged up, but is still great!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  16. 2fabdad

2fabdad Well-Known Member

I never had the dinobots as a kid. Toys R Us has the Japan version for $2 less I had Grimlock with a tweekie (diaclone)… by the time I’d waited for the Official versions everything was sold out.
    I later picked up some G2 stuff but we never got the full set in the OG colors.
    This will be a dream 39 years in the making.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MeGrimlock78

MeGrimlock78 Well-Known Member

I scoff at the term "unpaintable plastic!"
    :D 

18. butz

butz slippery when wet

I wonder if an alternate head was factored into the tooling for this guy?

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I think he looks awesome. If I had to nitpick anything it’d be the head crest is a little too vertical in Dino mode, but I don’t think it looks bad. Everything else looks great to me.

Now I just have to worry about getting a stand to display him in alt mode with the others. :D 

• Like Like x 2
  20. ScorponokIsHere

ScorponokIsHere He is Arrived Indeed

News Credits:
    Pretty sure that angled area is just his neck. The blocky robot torso is still there.

1000032596.jpg