5MM post/Mini-Con Powerlink Point Hybrid??

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cybertronian, May 12, 2013.

1. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

Howdy, y'all.
    I just had a brainstorm and was wondering if someone else came up with the same idea (or why haven't they tried to make it so).

In my massive Lego collection, some of the Technic sets come with "hybrid" pins that on one side is a pin meant to fit into the side of a Technic beam-style brick, and on the other is either a stud with a hole in it, about 1/2 or 3/4 the length of the pin side (meaning the bottom end of a Lego brick can be attached to it) or a Technic axle (a cross-shaped rod meant to fit into a matching hole in some elements).

Has anyone ever tried to make a hybrid pin that is a post compatible with 5mm peg holes (or some other sized hole for a specific Transformer) and on the other end, a Mini-Con Powerlink Point (with some kind of meat/junction in-between to keep the piece from being permanently stuck)? This piece would allow TFs not meant to interact with Mini-Cons to now have a means to do so.

I have many ideas in mind with such a piece.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    One example would be mounting this piece on a Targetmaster Pointblank or Slugslinger and then Powerlinking a Mini-Con like Wreckage (Armada) or Break-Neck (Generations/Family Dollar) on top. Maybe your Misfire will be more proficient with the Skyboom shield than he is with Aimless. Maybe you're bored and just want to see what Scourge will look like with a skateboard on his head! Or maybe you want a practical way to weaponize PCC Mini-Con Throttler to use with your DOTM Topspin repaint.

Anyway, let this be food for thought, and if someone decided to make (and mass-produce) this baby, I'd love to have 8-10 of them (half in black, the others in gray).
    -- Cybertronian.
    P.S.: To prevent breakage, it may be necessary to make the solid peg side narrower than 5mm... something thin enough to fit in Optimus Prime's bloated fists, or the hands of RiD 1.0's Build Team.

2. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think someone offers just the thing on Shapeways. Afraid I couldn't give you the member's name or store url, but I'm sure it's been done.

3. Cybertronian

That sounds like good news.
    Sorry for being out of the loop, but what is Shapeways?

4. grimeyingo

grimeyingo Well-Known Member

A 3d printer store where you can upload designs have them printed and shipped to your house, you can also share your ideas with others for them to buy and you get kickbacks. Anything can be made in various types of plastics and finishes.

5. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The C-Clip/5MM Hole/Minicon-Port adapters that come with the Mastershooters are DARN close to what you're talking about. They're worth the price of admission just to have those....

6. Cybertronian

I think I found them.

I think I found the vender you mentioned in Shapeways. 9 of these 5MM/Mini-Con male adapters arrived today.
    Here is one in the back of a "Target exclusive" DOTM Deluxe Leadfoot. What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    (If I'd bought it in white, I could have called it "Mr. Fusion". :lol )

If you think the mini-guns and missiles aren't enough, say hello to Leadfoot's little friend!
    [​IMG]

In case his human partner Juan Pablo Montoya longs for his Indy or F1 days: [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for sharing this man. I badly needed these connectors to give my minicons some love.

8. Cybertronian

9. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    That would be forum member Ramrider i believe and i havent seen him post in quite sometime

• Like Like x 1
  10. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, I just searched "5 mm minicon" on Shapeways and I saw this set. Already ordered with a few other stuff, and they're on their way.

11. Cybertronian

Bumping because "nevergrowingup" is still in existence. I need to see if I can get 9 more in white. (If Leadfoot -- R.I.P., TF4 -- can't use a "Mr. Fusion", I know Pointblank could! LOL)

12. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    I found crazy straws at Walmart that should work.

13. Rewbot12

Rewbot12 Well-Known Member

14. Cybertronian

I own a set in 'Black Strong and Flexible', and 'White Strong and Flexible'. (I only bought the white versions to give Leadfoot, Pointblank, or Siren a Back to the Future 'Mr. Fusion' styled Powerlink point.) Both are sturdy, but just the slightest bit loose on the outside. This is good in case you are afraid of breaking them off in your Targetmaster (or other 5mm holed Transformer). If you want them to have a snugger fit, try coating them with paint or (Pledge) Future Floor Finish.
    If you intend to paint them, try 'White Strong and Flexible, Polished'.

15. PrimalFury

PrimalFury The Chosen One

News Credits:
    Thanks for sharing, have you any pics of this connector with other modern figures?

16. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I did wonder about this (and the same idea with C-clips) but Ive found that Lego technic parts do the job most of the time so I just 'make do'.

Things like this can be quite useful means of making weapon storage points in screw holes too.

17. Cybertronian

At the time of that posting, Leadfoot was modern.
    I'm in the process of customizing my Titans Return Triggerhappy. When I post pics of the finished work, I'll remember to include one of the Powerlink points, installed in his shoulder. (Triggerhappy and "Getaway" -- also getting work done -- are the most modern guys I have ... for now.)