4-Foot Tall 3D-Printed MP-10 Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Might Gaine, Dec 29, 2017.

1. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    if he makes metroplex to the exact size of this i might be tempted to throw down the $'s for it even at $1600 , the same if he makes a unicron :lol 

2. olevelo

olevelo Supreme King of All Transformers Earth Wars

That was my exact thought when I saw this. So I started a hunt for 3D models of Unicron. Even just the head to start with. But coming up empty. I found one on the boards here from 2008, and tried messaging the guy, but he hasn’t been active for a long time so doubt I’ll hear back. Found another on YouTube with a dead link to the download. I don’t think I’m good enough at modeling to do it in any timely fashion. But this has certainly inspired me...

3. robh

robh Decepticon

Studio Oz- Unicron

4. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    Maybe i will give it a shot to model one, add it to my list of things, skills are not great but learning on the job is what makes it worthwhile... Probably in the next year or so we might see a 4ft up unicron being made anyway, i think the chances are good.

Just not looking forward to actually printing something like this given how time consuming it is.

5. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For those commenting on the $1600 price, keep in mind that it cost him $1000 to print. 3d printing just isn't economical at this scale. As for the low resolution of the prints, that's the kind of thing you really want to put in the work to clean up and finish. I've done a decent amount of 3d printing and it always always involves hours of sanding and patching. And that's for small stuff. Something this size would take weeks just to prep it for painting.

Obviously this isn't intended to be a mass market product. This is just a hobbyist offering to share his hobby for a little over 50% markup on the cost of materials. Considering the amount of time it would take to print this and the difficulty of assembling and making sure everything fits, that price is not unreasonable at all. Clearly most of us world never buy it but that doesn't matter.

It actually crossed my mind that I might want to print my own but I wouldn't want to spend $1000 in filament for it. I kinda wonder if he started with this model and just upsized and tweaked it. If I were gonna do this, that's what I'd do. I'd also probably try to figure out how to hollow all the parts as much as possible to save on filament and then figure out some cheap material to fill in all the hollow spaces and reinforce everything.

• Like Like x 5
  6. King Nergil

King Nergil Humanoid anchovy

Inflatable please...

• Like Like x 5
  7. deathsheadII

News Credits:
    plus shipping is included in the price can imagine that not being cheap for something so big

going to be keeping an eye on that fb page for metroplex being done , i have now fully convinced myself i will find the cash for it if it happens :lol  fuck knows where i will put it :lol  but a 4ft metroplex would be awesome

8. Slaglock

Slaglock Well-Known Member

for those who order this my prayers are with you in hopes that which ever shipping company delivers this doesnt break it

• Like Like x 2
  9. robh

robh Decepticon

I’m assuming this will come as a build-a-prime to save on shipping and help prevent breakage. Also, Even if you take it on as a to-be-finished $1600 model kit, you run the risk of ruining parts while finishing them, especially sanding and fitment issues. You are correct that it would be easier to finish something this large, than typical smaller prints. However, without a 3d printer of my own to print the inevitable broken parts down the road, buying something like that is probably out of the question. I’m sure the seller would provide you the file to reprint broken parts, although not the whole thing, if not design something functional yourself.

My other concern is buying something so expensive from a random dude that will take months to make. Seriously risk PayPal refund issues there if he doesn’t deliver.

This is definitely not for the faint of heart. I wish it was more of a production. I’d love to have something like this.

10. olevelo

olevelo Supreme King of All Transformers Earth Wars

That's awesome...but doubt he has a digital model! I asked him about trying to make one though...

11. robh

robh Decepticon

Ah. Missed you were looking for a model to print yourself.

12. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

Probably a bit of reverse engineering to figure out the parts and fitment. He would have to have had dimensions of the parts themselves to make this work.

13. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

If he does Metroplex or Trypticon- I'm sold.

If its out of your budget, that's fair, $1600 is no a small amount of cash for the average person however given the size, features, quality of plastic, weight, improvements and the amount of work that went into this- its far from a waste of money. This is nothing short of a work of art and the price point is actually reasonable as it includes shipping for this 45LBS monster toy. Some people shell out that for a fixed polystone statue- and those things just collect dust. Sure they look cool, but that's literally all they do.

This is awesomeness that you can interact with! Amazing! You may feel differently when he unveils Autobot City Metroplex! ;) 

Only 4 feet tall? Why limit your imagination? Unicron should be 8 feet tall- and would be satisfying as just a bust Or a head- ya know for scale reasons... hee hee hee. Wow! I just realized that I posted about this very same topic over a year ago. I stated that a toy of this magnitude could easily be made and priced under the insane $3K+ estimations that some other fans had tossed out.

Super excited for what this guy has coming down the pipe! I love amazing fans with this level of heart and creativity. The community could use more like him.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

He's going to need an astonishing amount of reinforcement to support the amount of plastic that is going into his parts to get this height This adds weight, which adds more needs for reinforcement. He's going to weigh a fair bit, because the increase in height does not necessarily equate into a linear increase in weight. This means stability starts entering into the equation as a safety factor...

I don't want to get crushed under a falling Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  15. robh

robh Decepticon

He’s gonna need furniture safety straps to prevent tippage. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  16. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    Comon lucky lotto numbers...

Do I really need a 4 foot Optimus Prime in my life?..... .... ... ....

Yes

• Like Like x 2
  17. Tontus314

Tontus314 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hopefully Wei Jiang will make an OS version of this.

• Like Like x 9
  18. deathsheadII

News Credits:
    aaarrgh metroplex is 100% being done next messaged them on facebook , i best start saving because i'm going to buy it if it turns out good

not just one persons work by the looks of it

• Like Like x 2
  19. deathsheadII

News Credits:
    with improvements :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  20. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

If I had space and money, I'd buy all city bots in this scale. Just imagine a Fortress Maximus whose headmaster alone is the size of a combiner, and with a master sword that could double as a sword for myself.