4 day work week

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by galvatran, Mar 22, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galvatran

galvatran Galvatran lives!

News Credits:
    Not sure if this concept has permeated to all parts of the world. You work 4 days (32 hours) instead of the traditional 5-day week (40 hours). No drop in pay. Yes, you heard right.

Anecdotally, employees are happier (no sh*t), productivity rate is boosted, less absenteeism, reduce burnout, more willing to stay with the company, profits increase. Sounds too good to be true.

Anyone here have their employer move to this work arrangement? I believe it's more common in Europe(?) & suited to an office job rather than on the factory floor. It's starting with some smaller companies in Australia.

Hypothetical: If you were offered this opportunity which day would you take as your day off work?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    My company has been doing a policy called "9/80" since a year before the pandemic, where you work 9 hours daily for two weeks and get every other Friday off. Unless you're in anything resembling an internal management position as then you don't qualify.

Guess where I've been my entire time at the company lol. I would kill for a 32-hour work week and three day weekends becoming the norm, I could get so much more shit done on my bottomless list of side projects!

I also would totally take Fridays off.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We're still on a 5-day work week, and I really don't see us moving to a 4-day week anytime soon unless the bulk of our customers do the same. And they aren't going to. That being said, the functions I personally perform at work are highly variable in nature and schedule. I routinely have swaths of free time during some weeks...and then make up for it with frequent out-of-town trips that have me working at all hours of the day and night and weekends from one end of the country to the other. I couldn't expect a "normal" work week unless I got a new job. Lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    to be as apolitical as possible every *worker* deserves to work less and get paid more. i would absolutely take this arrangement i have other stuff to do with my life besides work

i live in america where that schedule is super rare and i can’t imagine corporations wanting to pay people more to work less despite productivity being where it’s at. the 5 day/40 hour week was already a compromise bargained by workers back in the day be nice to do it again.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see the idea tossed around now and then. Ironically just a day or so ago I was reading an article about how South Korea wants to go to a 69-hour work week (well, the government wants to, the workforce not so much), so not everybody's on the same page.

My wife is already on a 4-day week at her job, though it's supposed to be ten-hour shifts so still tops out at 40 hours a week. The idea has been floated at my job and management's response was a diplomatically-worded "fat chance."

I'd take Fridays off since that's the day my wife is off. (Or... waaaait a minute... "Sorry, honey, they said I could have any day except Friday." Shhhh...)

• Like Like x 1
  6. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I read Chick-fil-a was trying it out at certain locations. Of course, fast-food industry and other costumer-service industries that already work in shifts could more easily transition into a 4-day work week. I think most of the rest of us are screwed in that regard. My job is killing off remote work as of April 1st. My position didn’t allow me to work much from home anyway. And, because of my boss, not at all in the last two years. So, that shows you how flexible and innovative they are.

7. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    I work 30 hours a week, use to do 55, best move ever my life is so much happier, I earn money other ways passive income, eg websites investments that kinda stuff invest to improve your weekly then improve your life

8. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

Correct me if I am wrong but I read somewhere a while back they did something like this back in the 50s. People worked 3-4 day weeks, still had enough money to buy a house and even found the time to go on vacation. If we can do this it be nice. Today, its easy to afford a phone but owning a house seems more difficult. I'm hoping to pull something like ssjkazer where I can work less. I'm already doing 36 (12 hr night shifts). It's tough because that's all I am offered and it messes up your sleep cycle.

9. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    My factory runs 24/7 365. There's really nowhere to make that accommodation. I'm indifferent to it, honestly. What I'm NOT indifferent to is is the thought that someone refilling napkin dispensers 20 hours a week should have the same pay as me doing 7 12 hour shifts a week machining engine blocks.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    No drop in pay? lol The only way I see that working WILL result in a drop in pay. Sure, you'll still retain your hourly rate of pay...but since you're working less, employers are only obligated to pay you for the hours you actually worked. You worked 32 hours instead of 40. So they're going to pay you for 32 hours worth of work instead of 40. They're not going to be so willing to pay you for the day you weren't even there. That makes NO sense at all whatsoever. Ask yourself, if it was YOUR money that YOU'RE paying someone else to work for YOU, would you pay them when they're not there? If you say you would, I'd flat out call you a liar. Something like this will affect small businesses much like the increase of the minimum wage to $15 an hour. A lot of them, especially those just starting out can't afford to...so they're going to have to lay off workers in order to survive or they just close up shop. And guess what? That's already happened in a lot of places. Noone ever thinks about the dreams of someone owning a business...finally being able to achieve it (somewhat)...only to have those dreams dashed by people so out of touch with reality.

I guess people really forget that businesses are in business to make money, not lose money or throw it around as if they're Scrooge McDuck. Large corporations "should" be able to afford it you say? Well, I've said this before and I'll say it again: They have to answer to investors. Anything that will affect their bottom line? Yeah, they're not going to let it happen. And if they're forced to? Guess what changes they're going to make to "comply" and STILL meet their financial goals? Us workers on the bottom of the totem pole will be the most affected by those "changes" they're going to make. But noone ever thinks about that. All anyone ever thinks about is "WOOHOO! MORE MONEY IN MY POCKET!" or... "WOOOHOOO I NO LONGER HAVE TO WORK AS HARD!" It's getting to the point where soon...the attitude of "I don't want to work" is going to be so pervasive in society, we're all just going to end up being nothing but lazy bums demanding government handouts.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

I would love to go to a 4 day /10hr work week. Staying a couple extra hours wouldn't be a big deal, especially if I could get off a full extra day. My job is a City position which means Union run so I doubt that's something that can be easily changed.

12. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    You forget that there is a large swath of people who think they're entitled to spend other people's money. Without doing anything to actually earn it. THAT is what mentality is pushing this. Eventually it has to be paid for, just like every other "free money/free service" scam out there.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    It was more or less indirectly included in the last sentence :p 

• Like Like x 1
  14. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

We've applied it here for more than a year now. Some have it 4 days, others 4 days and a half with the half day is work at home. And yeah, mentally it got better for many people here and doesn't feel as stressful as working full 5 days a week.

• Like Like x 1
  15. galvatran

galvatran Galvatran lives!

News Credits:
    Why begrudge someone earning same pay for less hours refilling napkin dispensers? Good on him/her.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Depends on what they mean by 4 day work week. Actual 4 days or college professor 4 days. College professor 4 days is teach classes monday-thursday, and spend Friday- sunday grading papers an preparing for class the next week. ( they claim there is a day off somewhere, but I've rarely found it)

17. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've always wanted to try it. 10 hr days for 4 days a week. With lunch, I'm at work 9 hours anyways.

I've actually thought I'd want Wednesday as the 3rd day off. This way you never work more than 2 days in a row.

18. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    You're right, equity of pay should be what we strive for. Let's start by lowering the pay for neurosurgeons to that of a Starbucks Barista...

... unless, of course, you can explain to me how steaming soy milk is somehow on the same skill level or value as repairing brains in which case a raise for the barista.

19. Trent

Trent Froody

News Credits:
    You achieve it generally by working more hours each day. I’ve done it. Working hours over the week went 10/10/10/8 for a 38 hour week. It’s good but 10 hours a day is a long time to be working and not get OT, at least in my industry. Currently and for the last 15 years I’ve been on a 9 day fortnight which is done as a 35 hour week and that’s really good.

20. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:
    It obviously isn't but jesus dude it's hard for most people to make ends meet, but if talking like Mr Burns gets you through the day, gets you that hashtag hustle and grindset then good on you.

• Like Like x 9
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.