[3rd party] TFC NOT-Scavenger & NOT-Hook

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tekmen, Dec 19, 2010.

1. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

Holy crap this thing is looking GREAT!

2. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks like the tripod arguments can go away now. WOW he is almost as tall as Grapple!!!

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

If they really wanted to make an AWESOME hook line, they should use a small CHAIN. Doesn't have to be heavy duty or valuable... just cheap metal... but it would have a nice weight and hang, would have a sort of bad-ass industrial look.

Well... going by the picture, he's actually more like a head and shoulders shorter than Grapple. However, Grapple is a pretty BIG Voyager, so that still bodes well for the scale of these guys.

zmog

4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, the new pics impress me even more.:drool: 

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1) Cranes don't use chains. They use steel cables.
    2) Small-scale chain is bad news for a winch mechanism. You have to be pretty gentle with any large lengths of chain at this scale, as it snags on itself really easily, and the links are easy to break.

6. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    New display idea... Gnaw hanging from the end of that hook next to Protector with a dinky fishing pole looking jealous. Speaking of which, who is going to do the Protector fishing pole upgrade with Daniel in a diarama?

I'm easily the most excited to see what Long Haul turns out like.

7. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He is kinda crouching in the photo as well so he is a little taller, regardless he is big enough to hold is own when displayed with the rest of the classics.

8. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I put these guys at about 6". A bit taller and larger than the average Deluxe, but they're certainly no Voyagers.

9. Tekmen

Tekmen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Update:

Here comes the head of Devasta...Devastatron!...or Devistator!....or...whatever.

Attached Files:

10. rzax

rzax Active Member

Ebay:
    I just love the detailing being done on these guys, even if it's not painted it looks great already :D 

11. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    These are SO bought!!!! I KNEW these were going to be good.....

- Gregg

12. starscream90

starscream90 decepticon

okay i know this may be dumb but do they say not-hook for copyright issues or he really their really not hook ans scavenger?

13. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    It's a tongue-in-cheek fandom naming convention for 3rd party toys that are blatantly intended to be canon characters. TFClub won't use the official names themselves, because they're not Hasbro and do not own the copyrights to those names (in Hook's case, neither does Hasbro apparently).

14. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    WoW! So cool. Keeps getting better. Seeing the crane hook slung over his shoulder is great!

15. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    Seriously, if these guys can make these toys have an awesome bot/alt/combined mode with great articulation, then why can't Has/Tak? I'm truly hoping Hasbro is planning on doing something like this for their next phase in the "Classics" line.

16. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    This is some crazy stuff.

17. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Hasbro can't do it because they have the market demands of big box retailers (especially Wal-Mart) to appease.

That means:

1) They have problems releasing the Constructicons (or Dinobots, or probably Insecticons) individually, because there'd be too many different toys that are the same exact colours on the shelves over several different assortments, which doesn't sit too well with Wal-Mart's guidelines, which enforce visual diversity.

2) Modern "wave-by-wave" distribution methods render it unfeasible for the target audience (kids) to collect Combiners sold on a piece-by-piece basis. They get one toy, and by the time they're allowed to buy another one (or the next gift-giving season rolls around), half the members may already be unavailable.

3) Sold in a giftset, the price starts to push that boundary where stores start pushing for electronic gimmicks. They may let it slide for smaller-scale Combiner teams (like the Target exclusive RotF giftsets. But because those were simply redecoes, Hasbro was also able to push the price down to acceptable levels). But a team of 6 original Deluxes? ~$12-13 apiece, x6, and you're looking at the $70-80 range, and they're not going to let that one slide. No electronics, no deal.

Hasbro has stated repeatedly that they recognize that the Combiner teams are fan-favourites, and they've experimented time and time again to get the concept out to market, but they've had no success on the matter.

TakaraTomy's market is different. And they theoretically could do something like this in Japan. But it represents a big financial investment, for a franchise that isn't as strong overseas, so it's unlikely they'll try without Hasbro's financial backing.

3rd party companies deal with none of these restrictions. In selling directly to fans, they bypass any retailer pressures, and the fan-following affords them a highly flexible schedule with which to develop these types of projects.

18. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    very good points here ^__^

19. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    so far, i am NOT impressed... maybe the combined mode will look decent, but the individual robots just look bland and simple.

20. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    Very well thought out points, but there are exceptions that I believe Hasbro could work within. Such examples include the Energon Bruticus, Superion, Constructicon sets that were released and then redecoed/re-released. Of course, I acknowledge that those set really only consisted of 3 original figures and weren't all Deluxes.

With that said, it would seem that with the level of articulation that Has/Tak has been able to achieve with current & upcoming Scouts, that they could make a set that consisted of a Deluxe and 4 (5 in the case of the Constructicons) scouts that would have an effective bot/alt/combined mode not too unlike what we're seeing from TFC. Of course, it would be slightly smaller and would probably surrender some articulation in combined mode (hopefully only the individual finger articulation). I believe a set on this level could be held to around a $35 price point (preferably $30, but maybe as high as $39).

Alternatively, Has/Tak could do a set that would be all Deluxes and treat like a Masterpiece release where it has a $50-$60+ price point. I'm not saying these would be called 'Masterpiece' they would just have that sort of packaging and shelf presence. Which isn't unlike the Movie version of Devestator, but it would actually be at a lower price point. Masterpiece is another example that doesn't have electronics, but still get carried as an exclusive by the big box stores on a more limited run.

As for the Dinobot/Insecticons not being released because of 'visual diversity' I don't think any fan would mind waiting 6 months and beyond per release of each individual character, so long as Hasbro actually would put them all out (preferably by starting with doing Grimlock again... correctly, perhaps as a Voyager even). I don't think small kids will care that they're not getting all the Dinobots and Insecticons at the same time (I didn't when I was a kid).