3P Legends Index and New Releases - This is not a general discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by CVprowl, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Creedog

Creedog Well-Known Member

My theory is that the newage Nissan bros sold so well, and were so pervasive, that Magic square didn’t sell a lot of Bluestreak’s (even after delaying him). So they are just slowly trickling out prowl / smokescreen, despite having most of the tooling ready to go. The more time that’s passed since NA’s release, the more of these guys MST can sell.

I also think that’s why MST rushed out their seekers, they couldn’t afford to lose out on so many sales again. And I also think that’s why both companies relentlessly keep announcing the same figures, coming out later is a bigger deal than we think, it’s their version of the late tax.

Anyway, I wish MST would have sold the bros as a three pack.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Galdelico

Galdelico Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    As a honest appreciator (and collector) of both MST and NA, I still can't comprehend how there can be such a low general opinion on Magic Square's Bluestreak.

I'm looking at both figures, right now, here on my desk and it puzzles me that MST's may have sold poorly due to its supposedly lower quality, compared to NewAge's offering. It genuinaly looks the better one to me - in bot mode at least, which is what I personally care the most - but, aside from personal tastes which of course may vary, I don't see a single reason why it's somehow logic that it sold poorly. I like NewAge BS alot, don't get me wrong, but there's no way I'd want to keep that one as the only Bluestreak representation in my Legends collection.

• Like Like x 7
  3. zeroblue2099

zeroblue2099 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, the glossy black hood didn't bother me; Bluestreak is maybe MS's best carbot IMO. One of their better head sculpts and a ball jointed head and all of MS's normal strengths: fun transformation, sturdy nylon, cartoon accuracy and good articulation.

And I like NewAge's Datsuns too, but Magic Square really nailed the proportions on theirs.

• Like Like x 6
  4. FredVIII

FredVIII HUMAN GERM!

News Credits:
    I think @Creedog was saying MST sold poorly due to timing not quality (unless I'm misreading him). NA released the main Datsun trio before MST even released one! I held out for MST for a while, but ultimately gave in and scooped up the NA trio (collections abhor a vacuum!). I like the MST version just fine--and in some respects better--but not enough that I'm really motivated to double dip. And plus, there's still only one available, even after all this time.

edit: typos gah!

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Galdelico

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Ah nono, I didn't mean to imply that either... I quoted his post and probably made it sound like a direct reply, but I was just giving my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 2
  6. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Eh, honestly I prefer the Newage Datsuns because they remind me more of the G1 toys. But the size of MS wins for my collection.

• Like Like x 3
  7. TIKnTIN

TIKnTIN … beating a dead horse with a broken record, LoL!

News Credits:
    Prowl being one of my fav characters, i'd be happy to hear MS admitted defeat and went back and revised their datsun mold to fix the wonky alt proportions and get rid of the inexcusable holes they left behind the headlights. i'd happily double dip and get MS prowl to add along side NA prowl.

but i highly doubt that's the case though given there were a couple of review videos posted of the final product months ago. really puzzled why they haven't released it for sale/delivery for this long. :confused:  MS continues to perplexes me constantly as a company and what they do to stay in business. :p 

• Like Like x 2
  8. autobot prowl

I bet it's because they decided to include the launchers after all the feedback. Honestly though, I have Bluestreak, but don't really like the mold very much.

9. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That wouldn't really require any sort of delay though, would it? I mean, they're already on the moulds.

Perhaps they've re-thought those ugly tampographs...

• Like Like x 2
  10. Galdelico

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, that would be the most welcome improvement, to me personally. Along with a white blaster, maybe.
    That said - judging by MST's track record - I doubt there will be any change at all, as I still believe they just pushed it back for whatever reason (possibily to prioritize more profitable figures, since their Bluestreak apparently bombed hard).

11. Norita man

Norita man Well-Known Member

Or maybe magic square is just a small company and they focus right now on finishing the stunticons and since it was their 1st combiner, it required extra attention.
    and they don't have the man power to handle that and the datsuns release.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Meekutron

Meekutron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am amused with all the speculation nonetheless I bet he'll be out soon

• Like Like x 3
  13. Ash17

Ash17 Well-Known Member

It would be a dream if NA would put out a Legends-scale Tarn. That is my top figure I’m hoping will become a reality one day, aside from an NA Predaking. And more of in the design of Flame Toys look as opposed to MMC’s Kultur or IF’s version.

14. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Did you miss this?
    EDIT: I AM DUMB AND FEEL BAD

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. TIKnTIN

TIKnTIN … beating a dead horse with a broken record, LoL!

News Credits:
    did you miss this? ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  16. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Dang it!

17. Ash17

Ash17 Well-Known Member

Haha! Yeah, I did miss that one though, but I’d take a more “refined” version of Tarn. I dunno, that Flametoys version got me spoiled in design of the character. Now if NA would just put out a Legends-scale...oh my!

• Like Like x 1
  18. zeroblue2099

News Credits:
    After NA remolded Galvatron into Straxus and SG Megatron who knows what they might do? I don't think we'd see a straight up Tarn release, but as an extensive remold of another figure? Why not?

• Like Like x 1
  19. autobot prowl

Pretty sure they will at least do Energon Megatron out of that mold. Though it will look ridiculous like the SG version.

• Like Like x 1
  20. zeroblue2099

News Credits:
    You're probably right. I wouldn't bet against NA passing up a repaint opportunity.

• Like Like x 1