3P Legends Index and New Releases - This is not a general discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by CVprowl, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Megawillbot

Megawillbot Well-Known Member

Pocket toys coneheads are a cheap 1:1 ko of the dx9 ones, so the originals can be used for size comparison also

• Like Like x 2
  2. Lookout Mountain

Lookout Mountain Seeing it all.

Can anyone point me to anything that points out how and/or why Legends scale became its own thing?

I love that it has, and there’s super cool third party stuff being done, it’s just a bit confusing as to why (like, why not Autobot brother/Datsun/Deluxe scale?)

• Like Like x 1
  3. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Wow, those actually look really good with each other. I have the DX9 Seeker trio, but IF Coneheads

• Like Like x 1
  4. IronMagnus

IronMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO it really started with Hasbro's Titan Metroplex figure and Iron Factory. Sure there were other official legends figures, but when Metroplex came out w/ only Scamper, Iron Factory made a Sixgun & Slammer set to augment it.

And every city also needs a City Commander, so they designed an Ultra Magnus toy that could fit in his chest cavity in truck mode. Their early Blaster toy was also advertised as having interactivity with Metroplex. His drones combine into a chair Blaster can sit on and that can fit in Metro's chest too.

And with those four figures, an avalanche was started as people realize they could buy 2-3x 3P legends figures instead of one MP.. and save on shelf space too.

IFs early figures also had this great scheme of coming with these extra generic 5mm weapons that people could use to upgrade their other official legends figures, which usually didn't come with many accessories.

So, while DX9 was creating some awesome figures at the beginning too, I really credit Iron Factory with establishing an integrated 3P/official legends ecosystem that encouraged people to get on board.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 11
  5. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    That is a big part of the story fair enough where you identify it starting. But i would take it back to hasbro legends class in reveal the shield and generations and what not where the name legends comes from, that caused companies like maketoys and igear to also do some legends figures. At that time legends class was just a side collection and was still called kids toys. Fast forward some 6 years and masterpiece collectors are crying they dont have legends figures. Lol

The raison detre of legends scale is vast. Money saved on development and materials and time for the producers. Money and space and hassle saved for collectors. Etc

• Like Like x 8
  6. IronMagnus

News Credits:
    Yea, I know there were some other early offerings... just saying Iron Factory made it popular.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    I think the difference was when dx9 and ironfactory started that was when legends became its own thing and not just a side thing companies did.

• Like Like x 4
  8. DDS22

DDS22 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yeah I dig this. Both cars look good with them

• Like Like x 1
  9. Megawillbot

Megawillbot Well-Known Member

Speaking of Slammer, anyone know what the deal with this is? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2096115
    Leaked files, or reverse engineering job?

• Like Like x 1
  10. IronMagnus

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    just a guy that reverse engineered a couple of things. he works or owns that 3d filament company so this was his spare time fun. but some of the files have issues from what i remember. but still cool none the less.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Spiffy

Spiffy Well-Known Member

Hey, when was that big TF con in China in December exactly, again? I remember that's when MS, NA, and IF showed off their whole next year's worth of releases.

• Like Like x 1
  13. astrakhan

astrakhan Well-Known Member

Is anyone else hesitant to invest in legends scale because of a lack of combiners? Other than DX9 Hulkie and the Iron Factory Bruticus and Ruination and DJD combiner there really aren't much out there. Instead of a bunch of competing MP-scale Stunticons, one of these companies should make a legends scale Stunticons/Menasor.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Spiffy

Spiffy Well-Known Member

Meh. The combiners in separated legends form are all fairly blah and forgettable bots, usually just the underside of the vehicle with legs and arms pulled out. In combined mode they're big and take up shelf space. More memorable, but then you've bought one bot for the price of 5 (or 7, sometimes, when they odd cost for all the connection kibble and design work). And some people just use combiner wars guys since mass displacement in the comics make the combiners much bigger than the sum of their parts.

As a legends collector, I'll prefer the more unique bots every time. I really hope NA does some triple changers next year.

• Like Like x 5
  15. zeroblue2099

zeroblue2099 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The fifteenth I believe. The Shanghai convention

• Like Like x 2
  16. Jedah Dohma

Jedah Dohma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any news on when this gets released? I'm becoming curious about it, and the size is just right for a legends+ collection.

Edit: Another brightside to this, here we have another company throwing their hat into the legends + game. Please OS the Newage Insecticons, and MST Minibots. And maybe their Sidewipe and Red Alert too.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  17. TheRebirth

TheRebirth Well-Known Member

I think the problem is nobody's done G1 legends combiners lately. I'm not a fan of IDW, so that rules out the DJD, Bruticus, and Ruination. That just leaves Hulkie. And he dates back to a time when, in my opinion, legends in general sucked, although he was among the best of a bad lot. No ankle tilt, hands molded directly into the arms, little head articulation, toy based design instead of cartoon / mp. At best you could call them primitive. I'm not a fan at all of their Scavenger or Bonecrusher, although the other 4 are okay and kind of make up for it. New Age and Magic Square are both way beyond them or anything else except maybe Iron Factory. They're both working their way through S1, and I'm pretty sure they'll get around to combiners sooner or later. I'll probably stick with CW in combined mode just because I like them, and wait for NA/MS to deliver on the individual teams.

Oh, and seconded on the legends triple changers - they can't get here fast enough. And deluxe insecticons - we need more cons.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Lookout Mountain

Lookout Mountain Seeing it all.

I mean, a bunch of the Gen 1 original Takara combiners are basically in Legends scale, right?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Owlman

Owlman IDW Fan, IF Collector, BW Fanatic

I could not agree more with this. I for one have never seen the appeal of combiners in their current state of production. Personally, I don't think they look that good in either form (as you pointed out, in separated form they are pretty blah). In the big combiner mode, rather than look like an intricate amalgam of engineering the individual bots are barely transformed and then just stuck together rather haphazardly. Looking at a big combiners legs and seeing a fully formed tank as a leg just looks dumb to me. I understand if other fans don't share this same opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Norita man

Norita man Well-Known Member

I think magic square is working on a menasor. There are prototypes pics somewhere

MS-Toys legend scale not Menasor / Stunticons

• Like Like x 1