3rd Party Items banned from Botcon (Again)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Calabask, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    As per Venksta on Facebook, "Brian Savage announced 3rd party is BANNED from the dealer room. Dealers were asked to remove them from display."

No idea if this means just displays, or product as well. Hopefully he can clarify.

2. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Well, I can understand the desire not to celebrate the franchise's 30th anniversary with the theft of its intellectual property.

'Cause as cool as some third-party toys are, that is what it is at the end of the day.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I was in the dealer room and in spite of the announcement there was no visible movement on 3P product. Remains to be seen if anything happens.

4. Calabask

News Credits:
    I'd be more understanding if Hasbro were actually treating the proper respect it deserves. If hasbro put out quality products, third parties wouldn't be shitting all over their stuff with vastly superior products, now would they?

5. AnegefalosGR

AnegefalosGR Elite Guard!

Pfft that's deep man, anyways keep us guys from the other corner of the world updated!

6. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    :lol 

7. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think Fun pub needed to say that officially to please Hasbro. Now everyone can ignore them and keep selling what they want.

8. Calabask

News Credits:
    Seriously though, whose fault is it that Habsro's products are being out hyped by someone elses? The other guys for producing stuff collectors and fans want with great quality? Or Hasbro's for not producing what fans and collectors want to a degree that it outshines the competition?

9. Ionus

Ionus Well-Known Member

I wonder if this happened last year. If not, maybe a storm is brewing on the horizon.

10. Calabask

News Credits:
    They were banned last year altogether, as I recall. Not sure if even the sale of them was allowed, it's why CP had an unofficial "Third Party" last year.

11. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

Long Live 3P!

12. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    By that same line of thinking, that's like saying "This band's album sucks, so I deserve to download it illegally because they're not treating the fans with the proper respect." "The police aren't doing their job correctly, so I should be able to be a vigilante with guns." "I can draw Spider-Man better than Humberto Ramos, so I deserve to illustrate and sell my own Spider-Man comics."

I used to be completely against third party toys, because they were not only unlicensed, they were insanely expensive. You're paying for incredibly expensive knock-offs, not approved or sanctioned by the creators of these characters we love.

But then I lightened up somewhat. Third party head add-ons for Ratchet and Ironhide? Okay, that's cute. Not really hurting anyone. New versions of characters not being made? I guess it's an homage. But when third party companies are doing the same as Hasbro, like "Now here's OUR Masterpiece Prime", etc, you can't argue that they're not making money off of someone's legal property that isn't theirs.

And just saying "Well, we deserve better looking toys" isn't enough. If Hasbro charged as much as third party companies, sure, they'd have higher quality sculpts and parts. But then we'd all complain about how expensive they were.

13. Calabask

News Credits:
    The Masterpiece line says different than you. Also, Hasbro wouldn't need to charge as much for them, because they'd a much bigger entity, which is another reason why people could rightly complain. 3rd parties pay more for their development and production than Hasbro does.

14. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    the way i see hasbro are great at selling toys... just that the 3P guys are great at sellin collectibles.

15. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    And if all they made was Masterpiece figures, how long do you think that'd last? And again, we have 3P companies making MP figures that exist already, like the many Primes.

16. Calabask

News Credits:
    Which Third party company is making a Masterpiece prime again? Care to fill me in on exactly none of them? Because none are.

17. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    (sigh)

I only WISH this was an issue at JoeCon, too! :) 

18. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Um, iGear? And the companies that KO'd Faith Leader?

19. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

3rd parties don't have to deal with child safety laws and all that. And can charge whatever they want and it'll still sell. People scoffed at paying $130 for Gen. Metroplex, but line up to pay $400 for Utopia.

Also it's just a vicious circle. Remember years ago when those cheap ass $5 combiner KOs absolutely flooded the market? Remember how long it took for TT to finally reissue Devastator because of that? Same thing now. Takara ain't rushing to do MP combiners because the 3rd party guys have all but killed the market for that.

20. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    Collection Kingdom made a KO MP-10 without trailer.