3rd Party Items Banned from BotCon 2015

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Mechafire, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Never gargle the rum. TFW2005 Supporter

So, I could go out and release a Captain Britain film, because Marvel hasn't said they're going to?

2. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

If 3P, by some miracle or whatever, declare the IP owners rights invalid...

This thread wouldn't exist.

Sadly, the company is exercising it's rights.

:D 

3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Head on over to a San Francisco theater to catch a Star Trek show that Paramount never made:
    Star Trek: Phase II ? ?Mind Sifter? | TrekMovie.com

4. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    :lol 

I remember when all the anti-3P folks rallied behind Aaron Archer when he made all his anti-3P statements, just for him to leave the company and immediately turn around and make third party Pretenders :lol 

I almost want him to show up now at Botcon selling PWTT items!

5. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Supply and demand.. Both the greatest component and worst facet of the production and rendering of goods and services since the dawn of trading began.

Would it not be the most profitable for Hasbro to bring these rogue elements into the fold and share in the sales? Makes one wonder how many, if any of them would join in.

6. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    The core of the issue isn't really copying a toy as it is making an unlicensed toy of a Copyrighted character.

I think he is using ”can't” with an implied ”without infringing on IP".

Depends on the add-on or kit. Heads that are clear representations of HasTak characters would likely infringe. Non-distinctive (character defining) parts likely would not.

7. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Absolutely not, Pete gives us information and occasionally answers questions that we have. He is allowed to not like the way a news article is written, journalist deal with it all the time. It's up to the writer of the article to decide if they want to rewrite it.

Botcon is a significant event in the Transformers community, it's no different then any of the other convention runners promoting their show.

8. Hollywood Hoist

News Credits:
    And I personally lost a LOT of respect in Archer for that.

9. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    True. But the people making the first assumption (while ignoring the parallel second) are the pro-3P-Hasbro-must-die-because-what-have-they-ever-done-for-us crowd. Without proof we must really consider both

It's unfortunate we'll never be able to prove one way or the other. Is there a way we can do a test case, like say isolate the UK from all HasTak and Transformers official news, products, and toys and see if their demand for 3P's go up.

It's a gray area. Put most upgrade parts by themselves and it's just a pile of rumble. What would be the comparison?

Now, if City Commander has looked almost exactly like Magnus' trailer and transformed almost exactly like G1 Minus minus the white OP. Hmm.

Custom heads are an interesting case. If anything, they rip off the G1 likeness the most. This is probably the easiest case to win in court but the cost wouldn't outweigh the gains.

Now 3P products that have the same alt mode and color scheme in the same areas in robot and alt mode. Yeah.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  10. Hollywood Hoist

News Credits:
    Yes, you're entitled to make anything you want as long as the original company isn't doing it when you want it done.

11. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Competition is good. It forces both side to evolve or die. That's why I think the extremists on either end are both wrong. The white knights. And the other white knights? Or is it black knights. Is that racist?

12. Hollywood Hoist

News Credits:

So you'd be equally okay with any convention runner to be removed from the boards as well as anyone running a store selling Transformers. They all promote their stuff.

13. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

i dont think its what petes doing that is offensive.. its that his post always come of so... well, unpleasent lets just say

perhaps botcon would be suited to have a "botcon" account ran by actual pr kinda people

14. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Me too...putting out He-Man style figures instead of actual transforming figures? Weak...

15. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Not racist, and also in all reality not a correct analogy. Knights were usually backed and or funded, definitely recognized by the churches or nobles that employed them. Hasbro and the other companies couldn't care less about anyone or anything in this thread.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I would do the same goddamn thing.

Good Ol' IDW. :lol 

17. Prime Wylde

Prime Wylde Candy Coated

News Credits:
    For anyone that has met pete will attest he IS a fan. And the ONE thing we can all say about TFW is we have NEVER turned a fan away from our community without a drastic reason.

Of course he promotes the convention. AND the club. Why wouldn't he? I promote the convention and have NOTHING to do with it.

He answers questions and offers info. Because he wants to. We have NO RIGHT to ask more of him, nor to demand his removal simply because he wanted the article to be altered to reflect the truth as Botcon intended it, which is more about fact correcting.

18. Pete Sync

Pete Sync Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, to clarify, we have NOT banned 3rd party items. Only items that infringe on the IP.

p.s. and thanks! I've been around a little while. I still have the first issue of the Transmasters newsletter I received back in 1991!

19. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It doesn't matter where the parent company is based it's not illegal to sue someone in another country Hasbro is a global company.

Regardless if they couldn't they can get any IP infringing items banned from being imported into the US or be able to seize chattels that are imported and destroy them.

If you cut off the distribution network for a companies product with a judicial ruling it doesn't matter if you shut the company down the revenue loss will cripple them.

That Macross argument is getting old too, the judicial cases associated with those issues have been settled in the 80's and the one with the Skystriker issue was as well, and obviously they haven't had any issues with the new leader Jetfire.

None, it was created in the 80's by Hasbro and Takara for their product line and they are using it as their marketing strategy for their newest toy line and media outlets.

20. Prime Wylde

Prime Wylde Candy Coated

News Credits:
    No problem Pete! Even after me and Brian had issues you have remained a class act.

I still want that poster of RUMamuck!