3rd Party Items Banned from BotCon 2015

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Mechafire, Apr 29, 2015.

1. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Speaking of which, does anyone else hum the non-Transformers theme song to themselves when reading this thread?

Prepare to strike from buying official toys
    But retail stores don't carry none
    When your caught within the plastic grip
    Of the evil Apollyon

Not-Transformers!
    More then I can buy
    Not-Transformers!
    (Unlicensed-Hasbro-IP-Infringing) Robots in Disguise!

Costs enough to break the biggest bank
    We have to pull together some cash cause
    Our checks are drawing blanks

A fandom divided is surely no fun
    Until our darkness hour
    When not-Rosanna will save G1

Not-Transformers!
    More then I can buy
    Not-Transformers!
    (Unlicensed-Hasbro-IP-Infringing) Robots in Disguise!
    Not-Transformers!

3P's wage their battle to take profits away from the evil forces of
    Hasbro Corporation

not-Transformers!

It's Michael Bay and now we've braced ourselves
    And for now the powers of dorkness
    Have been driven from our shelves

Botcon's over but the flamewar has just begun
    And this way it will remain til the day when all or none

Not-Transformers!
    More then I can buy
    Not-Transformers!
    (Unlicensed-Hasbro-IP-Infringing) Robots in Disguise

3P's wage their battle to destroy the evil profits of
    Hasbro Corporation

not-Transformers!

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  2. jame5y

jame5y Till All Are One..In the UK Thread

The difference being (like my shock wave faux pas) is that they licensed the diaclone designs.

The fact of the matter is if unlicensed toys are not allowed, they're not allowed.

It's only the same as an unlicensed Manchester United shirt isn't going to be sold in a shop next to an official one. I can't believe the fuss that isn't being made over this

3. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    As much as I'm generally sympathetic to the "Hasbro has the right to ban items that infringe on their IP" argument, I simply cannot agree with this reasoning.

There's really no point in denying that an amazing toy that resembles a well-known character is going to sell better than an amazing toy that doesn't. To suggest that the "amazing" nature of the toy should be enough is simply naive.

4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I'm not seeing it.
    Seriously.
    Aside from yellow, I just don't see any similarities

5. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    The terms you are looking for are "self-serving" and "entitlement."

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I guess to go with your example. Selling an unlicensed Manchester United shirt right next to the official team shop is an easy violation to figure out. But could you sell red scarves and gold colored brass knuckles next to the official team shop? What about a bugger Liverpool shirt?

The easy stuff like a transforming toy that looks exactly like Rumble or Frenzy is easy to figure out as a violation, but it seems a bit greyer if it's a pistol that looks kind of like the pistols the Insecticons had in the G1 cartoon to go with the recent Hasbro release of the Insceticons without any weapons. Would the intellectual rights extend to the size of the weapon grips required for a Transformer to be able to hold a toy weapon?

7. combaticonsfrvr

combaticonsfrvr Lusus Naturae

Shoulders, head design, color scheme, white wolf head on the back. those are the most obvious. The other similarities are more subtle and/or more altered, so they aren't as obvious.

8. combaticonsfrvr

combaticonsfrvr Lusus Naturae

The 5mm posts are not IP, cause it's not a "gimmick" or anything (I think, could be wrong). I think the weapons themselves are exempt too, except in certain cases where it's really freaking iconic (i.e. a megatron gun mode or shockwave gun mode)

9. jame5y

It's all about the use of the IP/copyrighted material, if it's a red scarf, that's fine - if it's a red scarf saying manchester, that's fine - if it's a red scarf saying any of, MANCHESTER UNITED, MAN UNITED, MAN UTD, MUFC then its not fine.

Will the club go after the sellers - unlikely as the cost to bring a claim is likely to far outweigh the costs they can recover.

A bit like Hasbro, whilst it does not hurt their business at the moment, it will stay at arms reach, direct violations however will be noticed and shut down. (As much as can be - the exception being China)

Unlicensed transformers can be argued derivative works, but it's shonky ground and I can understand why the focus for this event is requesting the non participation and selling of products that could infringe on the hasbro IP, at the end of the day allowing 3P producers to sell, opens the grey area to allowing full blown KOs being sold.

Again, I don't understand the level of outrage and fuss this has caused - if you're heading to Botcon just to buy 3P toys, save the travel expenses and buy them online....

10. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Someone should put up a lego stand and see if they cry about IP infringement.

I'm sorry, I would like to say something more creative than that, but honestly? Some people here seem to like Hasbro more than Transformers. (no, don't geek out about Transformers not being transformers unless they are made by Hasbro. 1. That would make you a douche and 2. You know full well what I mean)

A FANclub should focus on you know...what the FANS like, and not try to censor certain parts of the fandom. That's not a fanclub, that's being a corporate lapdog.

11. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why do people keep saying this about the designing/producing companies losing to Hasbro in court? The people actually making the IP infringing toys are not in the US. Trying to go after them would involve a lot more money to Hasbro then it's losing in sales and that's assuming that the US has an IP whatever agreement with their base company. It's never going to be about shutting the companies down. It'll being about going after their distribution methods.

EDIT: Actually, I haven't paid much attention other then Fansproject. Where ARE all of the big 3P's based?

12. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Deep thoughts...

13. jame5y

I totally get you, but look at the Botcon Homepage and that is all you will need to know.

[​IMG]

Sponsored by....

I think both official and unlicensed transformers have their place, I just think that 90 pages in people just need to chill out about it all...

14. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why would Hasbro cry about IP infringement?

Here's the flip argument. While there are some people who cannot separate Hasbro from Transformers there are also people who seem to think that Hasbro and Transformers are completely independent and if Hasbro disappeared then TF's would keep rolling.

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Interesting.
    So it's not a BotCon, it's a HASCon

16. MisterGuyMan

MisterGuyMan Well-Known Member

I'm not denying they can do this. I'm saying they're hypocritical.

17. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well spoken, sir

18. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I still wonder if they will bar Takara products, after all, Takara TFs are not suppposed to be sold in the US. Hasbro holds the Transformers license in the USA. Takara products are infringing on Hasbro IP if sold here.

19. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Why wouldn't they keep rolling? Takara Tomy would still be around and even in the hugely unlikely event they weren't either than the third party scene wouldn't just stop in its tracks. If anything I reckon things would ramp up. Money talks and fans wouldn't stop wanting to buy figures just because the corporation that holds the rights ceased to exist.

Maybe I'm wrong but I couldn't see any other outcome with that series of events.

20. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Have you played or even seen the current ship line up on Star Trek Online? They have blown so far past the ships that may or may not be available for purchase right now through Eaglemoss and Diamond Select. The Avenger class alone deserves some form of solid tangible release. The only problem being the nature of ship building in that game being so customizable it would make it nearly impossible to give someone the ability to make Exact duplicates of each and every option for player ships.. But... There should be some kind of tangible merch option.

Without sitting here and hijacking this thread that has basically pretty much run its course, is beating the bruised and already mutilated dead horse and as Seali-me said is ignoring the real point in the end... I'll skip listing all the cool Star Trek online ships. But I will say, I would pay "3p"'prices for an Avenger class for sure.

Last edited: May 1, 2015