3rd Party Figures. HasTak beat at its own game?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by dgold93, Jul 17, 2016.

1. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Ok there murtaw

2. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MP line is a premium line and therefore comes at premium price. I think TT releasing a few a year is strategic. Most collectors can't drop $100 - 200 per figure times many figures. So TT has to release at a "snails pace" in order for our wallets to be able to keep pace. Plus, there's only so many characters TT can do. Faster pace means they run out of characters. Sure they can give the less popular/more obscure characters the MP treatment but that likely won't be financially prudent. 3P putting out a good number of MPs but you may notice alot of them are duplicate characters. There simply isn't enough characters, particularly popular characters, to go around. Some 3P venturing in to obscurity but that's a financial risk.

3. dgold93

dgold93 Rainmaker

Good points, can't really say I have a good argument against that other than while I get the money saving issue, and the issue with blowing their load too quickly, G1 had a rather expansive cast. I have faith the guys at Takara are cooking something up, something good. Let's also take into account that there will undoubtedly be "do-overs" like in the case of Optimus, and Rodimus-Hot Rod. We are waiting on Megs 2.0 and while there is no official announcement I'd say it's safe to assume one is on the horizon. This line can really drag on for as long as they want to. If Howling Meteor materializes into a stellar seeker mold, I would bet every one of my last Transformers that Takara will revisit Starscream yet again for the MP line, this time from scratch. This will be a long back and fourth.

4. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    Look the facts are Takara is 1 Company making roughly 12 Masterpieces a year,so that comes out to 1 MP a month correct?,so if half (and I am being mighty generous here) are as they say repaints & retools & new deco's then that leave 6 Brand New Mold Characters so that now drops Takara's new figures down to 1 every 2 Months.

Now take FansToys,XTransBots,MMC,MakeToys,BadCube,& DX9 are 6 different companies all doing similar themes like Galvatron at the moment,but also doing others like FT's Phoenix or XTB's Eligos (Scourge) or MMC's version of Grapple or Trailbreaker,the point is they are working on more figures than Takara is,so 3P's have Takara beat by atleast 6 to 1 when it comes to MP's.

But as someone said Hasbro/Takara is still the powerhouse since they have 4 to 5 Lines going at the same time of Masterpiece,RID2015,Rescue Bots,Titans Return,Combiner Wars (finishing up next month I think),and of course the TF5 Movie Figures for next summer,even so I now think Has/Tak are now concentrating on the movie line since it is only 11 months before it comes out and the figures in Mid May so less than 10 months away.Anyway 3P's don't give a crap about that when they have so many characters to choose from G1.

So in closing it doesn't matter what Has/Tak is doing,3P's are busy making figures to satisfy fans who want them instead of just some Gruesome Movie Figures everybody gets tired of after 15 minutes.Later all.

5. dgold93

dgold93 Rainmaker

Collector's market only. We all know HasTak manages a multitude of other lines.

6. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Permanently Retired (1984-2020)

Here is the way I see it...

TakaraTomy's primary market is Japan. Every product they currently license and/or produced is made for those who reside in Japan. Their Asian market, which is more at risk of direct competition with 3P lines, is shared with Hasbro. Which comes with the following conclusion:

Japan = 1 Party

Asia = 2 Party (3, when you add all 3P lines)

Which means that if you live in Japan, you would have to go to very select specialty stores that are willing to sell imported products. Which means the game is still single player, and the competition becomes no different than buying a Hasbro-based Masterpiece.

Which has me cite that TakaraTomy is still ahead. But Hasbro? The existence of any 3P is more of a sign that they are giving fans something that Hasbro has chosen not to do. Which means that the 3P are beating Hasbro at a game they are not even trying to play.

In other words...

TakaraTomy = No. Because regardless of volume and quality, they are actually giving the 3P reasons to make their own versions.

Hasbro = Yes. Because the 3P are doing their jobs, and putting more of an effort than Hasbro is willing to do.

7. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

As a CHUG collector I can say, 100%, without any concern that Takara and Hasbro are on top. 3rd parties only crank out some characters worth it, and a lot of characters not worth my time or money.

I do not care about the thousands of bloody Dinobots or Infernos these companies are rushing out to beat each other with. I want the obscure characters. Like, I'm talking obscure here. Hasbro has given me a Skullgrin. Hasbro has given me Scoop. Takara has given me an inexplicably neat green Decepticon Ratchet. The only comparable thing 3rd party wise is the stuff Fansproject and MMC have done, and outside of that? Paddles, of all characters

As long as 3rd parties are trying to devour each other in the ouroboros that is MP figures, Hasbro and Takara remain on top