3rd Party Deluxe scale?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Hyoumaru, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

As I'm currently trying to break into the 3rd party scene, I've noticed the majority of 3rd party releases, at least in the last few years, have been largely scaled around the Voyager and Leader size classes. Given the name of the game these days is Masterpiece, I suppose that makes sense, but what about deluxe scale third party figures? Do those even exist?

2. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    Look into Fansproject and Maketoys, they've made a number of different figures in that scale.

3. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Theres also a stack of Legends scale stuff from dX9 and Iron Factory if you're looking to go even smaller.

4. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

Lot of fembots.
    Impossible Toys Valkyrie and Nightbird
    igear Delicate Warrior
    MMC azalea and her various friends
    PE RC and Aranea
    Not sure how big FP dino fembots are.

5. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    IMG_3284.JPG
    I feel your pain. I love the deluxes and Titan returns is firing on all cylinders right now. I got this Galvatron the other day and he's a bit taller than a deluxe but smaller than a voyager. Perfect leader for the chug decepticons

• Like Like x 1
  6. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    IMG_3247.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    FP dinos could work. They're a voyager. But the designs hinder a lot of the articulation.

Apex and Gemini were deluxe figures too.

8. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Deluxe is a size class.

Many of the FansProject not-Headmasters are that large Deluxe size.

[​IMG]

The KFC Perceptor mold is Deluxe size.

[​IMG]

The four limbs of the Dinobots combiner from Jin Jiang are Deluxe, with a large Voyager torso.

[​IMG]

Planet X's not-Swoop is Deluxe size.

[​IMG]

9. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

igear and unique toys both made deluxe sharkticons.

10. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yes.

[​IMG]
    Forgot to include my fp headmasters too, doh.

Kinda funny how these days their are so many people pining for deluxe, complaining about a lack of its presence and so on.

Yet a few years ago I feel like every 2nd comment on every single thread for everything ever was "aw wish it was much bigger" "hope this gets oversized" "is it mp scale" "wish it was mp scale" and so on.

Deluxe just doesn't do the numbers it needs to to stay alive in a big way anymore. Even deluxe combiner sets are dead now. People didn't buy enough and the market moved on.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  11. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

I really like deluxe size as well, wish there were more. I like that they tend to be more "rank and file" type figures. Sure, it's fun to get some hulks and battering rams bristling with BFGs. But it's nice to get some grunts or support personnel. The hulks aren't as impressive if everyone is like that.

And while MP-style figures can be nice, I kinda like a smaller scale (and the associated lower cost).

• Like Like x 2
  12. AnegefalosGR

AnegefalosGR Elite Guard!

I agree totally with all the positive arguements regarding rank and file deluxes, adding also how well they complement a CHUG based deluxe collection with the occasional voyager and leader class hulks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's still life in every Legends-scale thread.

14. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah but legends stuff is doing very well now, its got a lot of fans buying a lot of things and you only need to look at how much tremendous success IronFactory has had to see how heathy that market is. They wouldn't have been able to make so many great toys if their weren't people consistently buying them in droves.

But sure, every time I see someone in an IF thread pinning for an upsize I get a bit of a nervous twitch and want to scream at them NO NO NO SHUT UP NO. haha

• Like Like x 1
  15. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    By people who want them upscaled to deluxe scale.
    I see a lot of people windowshopping those legends scale toys in the threads while they are all getting clearanced in the webshops and i get this ticklish urge to scream at those windowshoppers:"buy those toys you are raving about haha, buy them haha. Come on buy them." :p 
    Meanwhile all of those inferior designs (Iron Factory excluded) are getting upsized while nobody wants to produce real deluxe scaled chugs anymore.
    Yes there are Maketoys and Fansproject, but they have been making a few bizarre decisions lately:
    The designs for their Skullcruncher ans Highbrow where terrible, producing Dinoking instead of Monstructor coupled with the hard to get by shells, keeping Maketoys combining deluxes at that small size, another Classic Optimus upgrade have hurt their business.
    And Hasbro has stepped up their game in giving us chug toys of characters we never thought we'd get.
    If there still is a market for 3p chug i think they will have to go back to their roots and play catch up to Hasbro so to speak instead of producing from later G1 era's.
    I think what would sell would be a deluxe cw compatible Blast Off in the right colors, a new cw compatible Motormaster and other cw compatible toys, a voyager tapedeck Soundwave, small voyagers Ratchet and Ironhide, small voyager seekers, legend class three pack Reflector, upgrade kits...
    Things people want but hasbro isnt likely to produce.
    What also has an impact in bad sales of the deluxe scaled toys 3p have been making is the fact that 3p designers and people who dont buy chug think chug means: all kind of weird designs that differ as much as possible from the character or toy.
    Hasbro on the other hand is making chug with designs that look very much like the tooncharacter or the original toy and try not to be too free with designs, and this sells.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

Guardia didn't fail because of its size. It failed because Hasbro and Takara released simpler, cheaper Defensors and beat them to the market. A larger scaled Guardia would have turned off MT's existing audience and probably not dragged in many more people buying into that weird horrible too large combiner scale that doesn't fit with CHUG at all.

If they want more market, they shouldn't play catch up, and especially not with Blast Off who has the potential of being released as an exclusive whenever Hasbro get bored, or a Motormaster with a severely limited audience at this point, or characters who have been done before by other companies. They should go and make things that aren't going to be touched. Updated Micromasters! Or heck, Transformers from my childhood I've been hungering for. A CW compatible set of Turbomasters and Predators would get me preordering from day 1. You bring up Reflector, but the joke is, if anyone released a legends scale Reflector, I wouldn't care too much. He is a gap filler and I picked up PE's one back in the day. Now, a new Snare? That is what I want. That is how you get me excited about these things.

Literately though, if I get a Raiden in their scale, and possibly the dream of an updated Glaciallord from FP, I'm done with 3rd party. I don't want 12 Dinobots, 6 Springers and 3 Hounds, I want all of those weird G1/G2 things from my childhood updated. And Hasbro's looking far more likely at getting me those than any 3rd Party at this point. The only 3rd party things I've cared for this year were from MMC simply because everyone else is just treading on each other's toes.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    That is the problem any 3p company who wanta to produce chug toys and indeed any 3p company who wants to produce MP to a certain extent faces with Hasbro and Takara producing more toys of a more varied mix of characters at a faster pace.
    I would love chug Predators and Turbomasters but as you say it is more likely these days that we will get them cheaper from Hasbro.
    Why? Because 3p is affraid to touch them and has to calculate the risk into the price, while for Hasbro the risk is minimal, the market is larger and there is a larger likelyhood that redecoes or retools wich are cheaper to produce for Hasbro will sell more units than a redeco a 3p would make of one of their figures.
    If they produce toys of characters with wider appeal that Hasbro has recently done to the dissatisfaction of a fair amount of people (cw Brawl, TR Galvatron,..) or characters with altmodes that there is little chance Hasbro will produce (Reflector, Soundwave) or fiction only characters that Hasbro is not likely to produce and have a fair amount of following (djd) they would tread safer imo than by producing toys of less obvious characters hat are still on Hasbro's radar.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  18. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I bought Fansproject MADLAW abou a year ago.
    I never intended to have a Quickswitch in my collection cause i never liked the look of the G1 toy.
    MADLAW is an amazing chug toy!
    But i read about him getting clearanced all over.
    There is too much risk envolved for 3p in characters with a small following.
    I am playing devils advocate cause i wish it was otherwise but i think the safest thing Fansproject and Maketoys can do right now if they want to fill this niche is do the figures that Hasbro has recently done that people are not happy about and do them better or create upgrades for them.

19. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

Good analysis. Several things I hadn't thought of before sad but probably true; the risk-reward ratio for deluxes is probably not very favorable for 3Ps, especially compared to MPs, where the price differential between Hasbro and 3Ps isn't as great.