3rd Party Controllers?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by TheWarPathGuy, Mar 20, 2020.

1. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy There's no power, greater than X.

I want suggestions for good 3rd party controllers on pc.

I recently bought the Power A gamecube controller, it's compatible with PC, but I plan on using it on my Switch.

Also that Wolverine Controller that is a wired controller and works on Xbox One and Pc. It's my dad's but it works like wonders!

Also has anyone bought the Duke controller or has experience with it?
    Screenshot_20200320-124756_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

What layouts are you looking for?

3. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy There's no power, greater than X.

Like the type of controller?
    Anything modern, retro, the standard controller design.

4. FiVE1ZERO

FiVE1ZERO **CoOL FLeX BrEH!!.!**

Not much help but Personally just my opinion but I stay away from 3rd party controllers as for me they just don't feel right/cheap and in most cases break. The last 3rd party controller I got was the 8BITDO Nes30 Pro for my Pi 3+ and it was highly praised and it was fine for almost 6months but then outta nowhere I started noticed some of the button didn't work/connect/respond etc. It's possible I got a lemon but IMHO 3rd party products have always failed on me. Just save the extra bucks and go official imo. Hope this helps;) 

• Like Like x 2
  5. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I've always had official controllers for my consoles. I know the third party ones are a better deal, but they just never really fit my hands.

That said, for my very limited PC gaming, I've been partial to the Logitech wired controllers. Dead easy to use, very close to the PS controller, and the price is nice.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

There really isn't any point in buying 3rd party for modern layout on PC unless your broke as fuck or need a bunch of extras for multiplayer that are rarely going to get used. MS controllers are the best all rounders on the market and work seamlessly on Windows since xInput was written for them in the first place.

If you want to ruin your hands for old age with Sony layout, then DS4s are still above third party quality despite being the worst first party. The don't have the native universal compatibility on PC for modern games that MS controllers do since they only work as DirectInput controllers, but you can use the Steam input wrapper or DS4Windows to get around that.

If you want SNES layout then you've got allot of options. I use the iBuffallo wired pads as I stocked up on those when they were the only decent ones on the market and have never had any issue with them, although I think that they are out of production now. Not handled any of the others personally, 8bitdo stuff is either great or terrible depending on who you ask, i've head more good then bad about Retroflag and you can probably use the official Switch ones over Bluetooth with a wrapper like you can with other Switch controllers.

The newish 8bitdo SN30 Pro Plus seems to have gone down really well and apparently have better d-pads then the previous SN30s, but adding Sony style things to a SNES pad is a hard pass for me personally.

If you want Sega 6-Button, then the 8bitdo M30 is really good. I've briefly handled the USB version of the RetroBit replica MD pad and that seemed pretty solid and i've heard the same about their Saturn pads.

Not really looked into the more estoric Nintendo controllers as I still have originals for Cube and Wii. I picked up a Tomee USB N64 pad ages ago that seems pretty solid, but never really used it as i've not played any N64 stuff since then that really needed the original layout and didn't have an official alternate controller scheme from a later release.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Whomps

Whomps Well-Known Member

Been using the 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ and I have been loving it. If you love the SNES controller that one is a great recommend

8. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

I use logitech controllers, the wired ones, they're like $25 each. They work just as well as a PS3 controller, and I like them better. They do come wireless, I think they're roughly $40 last I checked. I have no need for wireless, so I chose wired. Mine are like 10+ years old, and still work fantastic. They have a fantastic build quality. In most ways better than the Xbox and PS controllers I've used. Plus, they're programmable, so you can rebind them, even if the game itself doesn't allow you to. This works for games that don't support controllers, as well. At least from my experience. You can redirect your keyboard keys to it.

However, if you are more used to the Xbox layout, you might be better off just buying an XBox One controller, or a 360 Controller, that would work just fine too. My experience with cheap controllers, like third party ones, is that they don't last a long time. In fact, they last a short period of time. Thus, you have to replace it quite often. More often than you would an Xbox or PS4 controller. You'll save money just buying the real thing, than trying to find a copy of it.

9. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    INHO it's kinda hard to give a right answer cause some folks use keyboards and mouse and others USE
    PS3 OR PS4 and Xbox controller. I'll also say your mileage may very on just about any depending on how hard you use it.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1