3rd Party Collecting Magazine, anyone?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by banjoted, Nov 7, 2016.

1. banjoted

banjoted Timelord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So, for a while now I’ve been throwing about the idea of doing a magazine (digital, presumably) about the Transformers toy collecting scene, as some of you on these boards will know.

Now, having worked in publishing for over a decade I’m all too aware of the challenges. And honestly, at this stage I don’t even know if the idea is even viable. Step one was asking around among the community. I’ve done that, and the feedback was pretty positive. Step two is to try and get some more structured feedback.

So…

IF you think maybe you’d be interested in paying for a monthly Transformers collecting magazine, then please do head on over to this link and take a short survey.

To stress – if it isn’t something that interests you (which is FINE and I still love you) then please don’t fill in the survey, as I only get so many responses for free!

But should feedback be positive, then the next stage would be knocking up some designs and then taking the dreaded crowdfunding plunge, which will be an all new world of anxiety and self doubt for me to experience.

And honestly, if nothing comes from it, that’s fine – nothing lost. But I do think there’s an opportunity there for a product that offers value for money and that people will be interested in. And this is the first step…

• Like Like x 3
  2. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Bump

3. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    Took the survey. This could be something I'm really into. I understand that the hurdles toward getting a print version will likely be a lot higher than a digital magazine, but I really like leading through a magazine at my leisure without being on my computer/phone/tablet.

• Like Like x 1
  4. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Personally I would subscribe to a print version being mailed to me. There's only so much I tend to habitually frequent online. And the truth is, most of it is on my phone so the content in a magazine that I would appreciate wouldn't be as appealing to try to navigate and zoom in on ect with a phone. Much like I am with comic books, I am with publications like magazines. I buy them, they spend a week on the coffee table and everyone in the house reads it. I tried digital comics but it's just not the same.

5. banjoted

banjoted Timelord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thanks for your feedback guys. The survey answers certainly suggest that a print version would be in demand. That doesn't quite tally with the price people say they want to pay, but maybe we can examine at least offering the option. I'm quite surprised if I'm honest - I can't remember the last time I bought a print mag. At the same time, if you're making something that appeal to collectors then maybe I shouldn't be surprised at the urge to collect it! It's all quite fascinating actually!

6. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

When we're talking magazine, are we talking glossy pages and glue bonded spine or folded and stapled? Because for me, I would be happy with similar to comic book and although I selected the lowest price point, as long as the content checked off most of what turned my gears (mostly tips and tricks, opinion articles, useful advertising, the comic strips concept is great, maybe how it's made features, interviews with reviewers ect) I may pay more. But being Canadian, that 6 bucks translates closer to 8.50 then take into account there's more for shipping. So to go global I'd look into how to have things shipped without deterring foreign customers.

A big selling point for a higher price point however would be value added products- such as magazine exclusive stickers or reprolabels, bumperstickers, centerfolds that work as photography backdrops ect... that's the stuff that would make me hit the paypal button without hesitation

• Like Like x 2
  7. MP Collector

MP Collector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just took the survey. Consider me interested.

8. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

I remember something in print was made a couple of years ago...what ever happened to that? Maybe someone you can corroborate with? It looked pretty good from what I remember.

9. banjoted

banjoted Timelord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So much feedback! I'm absolutely delighted. Thank you to everyone who has taken the survey :) 

10. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

I think quarterly at a higher price point would be better then monthly.

I'm also a print guy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. banjoted

banjoted Timelord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, the idea of going bi-monthly or perhaps even quarterly at a higher price has some real legs, I think.

• Like Like x 3
  12. elj

elj Well-Known Member

I'm definitely down for a print version. Might just be because I'm old, but I love the idea of a high quality glossy spread. Quarterly would work. Bi-Monthly (6 issues) would probably be best for me. I said so in the survey, but I'd absolutely be down to spend $10.00+ a month for something like that. That really only accounts for a fraction of my TF budget and is something I could really enjoy when I've only got a few minutes downtime or am waiting to pick the kids up from school, etc. Also would help me to introduce my hobby to others who perhaps don't quite understand. I'd even be willing to contribute where I could for something like that.

• Like Like x 2
  13. The Smirker

The Smirker I Hate Sam Darnold

I think what would be interesting, is if you guys got 3rd party toys first, and if you could do a review on the prototype, now that's something I could get into.

14. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

I think with a magazine, it's extremely hard to publish before the reviewers get their hands on prototypes or test shots. Might have to accept things after the fact.
    Like how to fix things like Despotrons legs, step by step how to assemble add on kits, ect.
    Upcoming release dates, checklists of all on the market, classifieds, youtube reviewer advertising page, readers pic submissions, high speed photography stills of Bayformers being hit with sledgehammers, and much more haha

15. banjoted

banjoted Timelord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yes, you're spot on - the lightning speed of the internet means print would, inevitably, be behind somewhat. That's why it has to justify itself in other ways.

16. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

The good news is things like TF Con and such would all become a tax write off because it's a legit business trip

• Like Like x 1
  17. galvatron1701

galvatron1701 cassette

We've spoken about this before, and you know that I'm on board with the idea. I do think that things like Phil Reed's books, and the new Definitive G1 Graphic Novel series, show that there is a demand for this sort of thing.

With regards to print vs internet, I'd once point at the Lego mag Blocks. This magazine comes up against the usual issues where the net is concerned (slower news, reviews that have already happened etc), and yet the magazine sells extremely well (check out the 2nd hand prices on Ebay for older issues!). It does so because it is, frankly, gorgeous; a treat for the eyes. A TF magazine, I feel, would need to be the same.

18. banjoted

banjoted Timelord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Aye, agreed.

19. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I'll be honest, I don't know what kind of information a magazine would bring that we're not already getting here... The time to put one issue together, that information would likely be dated.

20. Chrisola

Chrisola Solid crotch ratchet

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Kickstarter it?

I'd be up for print... quarterly.

Interviews with designers or even manufacturers would be awesome... imagine an interview with Keith :cool: 

Figure of the year features, tf con round ups, company spotlights, collectors showcases, reviewers profiles etc would all be cool content to have.

• Like Like x 1