3rd parties becoming Hasbro lol

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Dragonclaw, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Razor24

Razor24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have you looked at MP-10V?

2. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Honesty bought the entire Carnifex boat.

(it was still cheaper than that MP Omega's gonna be)

• Like Like x 1
  3. IanAdams

IanAdams Secret Octopus

I collect Optimus Primes and anything else that I think is really cool. Lately more of the 3rd party figures are Optimus Prime than was previously the case.

Always lots of mold reuse though. I don't blame anyone who's trying to stay financially solvent.

4. PwrdOff

PwrdOff Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's really more just a function of the 3P market having grown so much that we are seeing lots of different companies tackling the same characters, but that doesn't mean that's all there is to be had. And even though the market is now dominated by G1 MP scale figures, that doesn't necessarily mean they all adhere to the same style. In a way that simplified G1 aesthetic gives a lot more room for reinterpretation by modern toy designers, and we can have lots of different takes on the same character.

5. guarayakha

guarayakha Guara-guara-booyakha~!

Hey, at least 3P did not follow Hasbro's hollow plastic route, so that's a plus :D 

6. Hitokiri

Hitokiri Well-Known Member

I said this before but I like how Hasbro and Takara are handling third parties. Hasbro/Takara are basically waiting for the third parties to start a trend - wait to see what works and what doesn't - then come out with their products at the tail end of the movement and make sure to make the best possible figures out of all of them. That's what Takara seems to be doing with their MP line up anyways. I remember a few years ago the headmasters series were pretty big and what did Hasbro and Takara do - release their own versions. Of course Hasbro and Takara could make their toys cheaper (because they are) and having the "official" label many TF loyalist were drawn to this line up. Takara and Hasbro in many respects has flipped things around. As some said, Hasbro and Takara are working and thinking like the third parties while the third parties are acting more like the official brands use to.

7. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 GATTAI Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I'm glad some companies are branching out too, but

A. G1 fans have just as much right to completing their collections of their favorite characters as any other fans do and they don't have any direct control over how much of a character is produced. That's ultimately up to the manufacturers themselves (not saying the market isn't an influence cause it totally is, but companies like MMC and Planet X are going against the grain for more niche fandoms of their own volition).
    B. While the vast majority are all either going for MP or Classics scale to match the cartoon, none of it is the same. If you take a look at companies like Fans Toys and GigaPower, both have very loyal followers that just want MP Dinobots that they feel fit their MP collections. Both companies are going for Masterpiece Dinobots; yet both companies have drastically different styles and ways of tackling the G1 look. It's good to have options instead of having to conform to the same figures. Makes everyone's collection that much more unique.
    C. The reason why styles other than G1 aren't as focused on is not because they don't sell, but because they don't sell nearly as well as whatever is G1-inspired. Not arguing MMC's success with the DJD and Carnifex, but as far as selling out and reissuing go, Fans Toys did that like 3 or 4 times with their first figure and have done that with their second.
    D. Quakewave's success brings me to my next point, which is that third parties have not been around for 30 years, so it's far from fair to act like it's taken the entirety of the franchise to get anything that isn't G1, because until Classics started, it's been everything BUT G1 in media and toylines since G1 ended (even then, Classics runs concurrent to whatever non-G1 stuff is in) and third party companies have only been around for 6 or 7 years tops with MP scale and style figures for only 4 or so years. So if you take into account IDW's very recent success, it may have taken 2-3 years (I don't read the comics, so I dunno exactly when MTMTE started and when it blew up) to "finally" get third party IDW figures. Now for non-G1 figures in general, I believe Planet X was the first? At the very least, the first to be successful with source material that isn't the original cartoon.

For the topic at hand: I'm very much interested in seeing how Fans Toys's success in the Masterpiece market will affect and/or influence HasTak. Hopefully Omega Supreme is enough of a success to encourage Fans Toys to continue tackling larger and more out there designs like Sky Lynx and also ensure that combiners end up a success. If they can successfully hit MP combiners before HasTak does, I feel like some collaboration may need to be done if HasTak truly wants to get as many solid MPs out as they can, which could hypothetically in turn lead to MPs of other highly regarded universes. At least of the most primary of characters.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    @Onslaught24 -

Well said. And I agree actually. Wasn't really fair to mention the 30 years thing I guess do to 3P not even being a thing until a few years back.

I also am trying to complete my G1 collection. Something that started off and excited me very much however, is now more of a "are we there yet?"

I am happy with my collection and I will never, ever sell any of them (unless I am in dire need of money), but I have spent way too much money on figures with the "Masterpiece" label (official or otherwise) that are quite honestly more unwieldily and cumbersome than my voyager/MMC/whathaveyou figures.

I have much more "fun" messing with my MMC stuff versus my MP figures. Weirdly enough, due to their overall less "delicate" nature, I am able to be rougher than usual. Mitigating that "better be careful" type of feeling I have with some of my MP's.

Also considering, and depending on the figures; I could end up with two great figures versus the maybe one "MP" figure I could/did purchase.

And lastly, to me personally (and I have said this a lot), my G1/MP stuff is all nostalgia. I do not watch the toon now, and don't enjoy it. I am much older and the "storylines" and (lack-thereof) character development just doesn't do it for me. I was a "G1 or GTFO" before I was introduced to IDW, and I couldn't be happier.

But yes! I am so happy for options. Thank the stars for MMC. I never thought I'd see a IDW Megatron. I'm pretty content.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Legate

Legate RIP Kevin Conroy and Akira Toriyama

I would separate the G1 and MP aspects.
    G1 is G1, but MP is -at least in theory- about quality and complexity, the best possible combination of aesthetics and playability/poseability.

Personally, I wouldn't begrudge someone asking for something to be realized at the MP level be it G1, IDW, or original.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  10. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

There is plenty 3P out there I am interested in. It is hard to keep up. I avoided a lot of official product recently, like combiner wars, but it is cool I bought them for my kids because I still get to play with them. LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  11. HADRON

HADRON .1%R

Wow. Lot of crying here about getting some really awesome toys that are hyper detailed and hella poseable, etc etc. Let's be realistic. It's a pretty killer time to be a toy fan and it's only getting better. If a couple retools or customs are the least you have to put up with on the way to even better toys, maybe don't get so bent about it. If anybody on this forum can afford to get ALL the characters they want, and STILL complain that there isn't enough cool toys to buy, then somebody has too much disposable income and time and needs to move out of their parents house. Some pretty sick stuff one way or another, I'm SURE you can find enough to spend your cash on, and hey, let's not hate on the time we get to actually SAVE UP for the next one you like.. Hell, one comment on here complains there is no Tarn when one is already sold out!

Lets just enjoy a REALLY great time for toys like this.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    I remember this feeling from some 3p expo last year, 3p does amaze all at once. Now i am 80/90% 3p collector. Hasbro made a huge move these last 2 years with CW and TR attempt at a complete character list and i was seriously considering going in for TR(and did for fortmax) but have to halt myself for one they are not my scale of choice and another they arn't really complete. Plus other things didn't appeal, ultimately i couldn't afford to dabble while committed to some 3p lines -legends scale.

The thing with 3p is it costs more and takes longer to complete. They are slow processes even at the rate the companies are trying for and even then there is no gurantee you get to complete casts with consistency, Hasbro doesn't really offer that either, but i am happy to stick with 3p as each product and character is closer to what i want. Hasbro takes creative license with TR, see mindwipe, and one might say that spices things up but i am happy 3p would stick closer to source mostly and that is a big selling point.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gotta laugh at the hatred for G1 and MP collectors. Without us, you lot wouldn't have much of anything. People like me who grew up with the original show and are now willing to spend $200 a pop on an MP scale dinobot are the reason 3Ps are successful and able to do your "original" style niche pieces. I think it's safe to say that the G1 nostalgia and buying power are also why we have a new series of horrible Bay movies (though to many of us that's a negative). No-ones spending a fortune or clamouring for high end collectables from TF Prime or RID. End of the day, companies are making G1 MP cause that's what sells.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hellscream12345

Hellscream12345 One shall fall, you Prime!

The only thing I like about MMC was their Heart of Steel line, and Sixshot but that's gonna change too when DX9 release theirs.

15. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Just because it's G1, doesn't mean it's bad. I'm not a fan of IDW, but neither am I a fan of the current official and third party Masterpiece direction. I want fresh takes on established G1/BW/etc characters, as long as their original characteristics are included. I actually want more CHUG.

• Like Like x 1
  16. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    everything is not far off being covered give it a few years and the g1 mp race will slow down and make room for newer transformers ... like it or not but it's where the money is at for third party's at the moment

• Like Like x 1
  17. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If Takara is going to put out stuff like their new Megatron, I can see myself buying more and more 3P, because I really don't care for him.

I never had G1 toys, and I only started getting into collecting a few years ago. I'm not sick of G1 at all. G1 is pretty much all I buy for my collection (even though I enjoy other continuities like Prime and Animated).

18. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep, I'm having a great time.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Legate

Legate RIP Kevin Conroy and Akira Toriyama

Trying to be fair here, the thing about G1 is it DOES keep money flowing; people will buy it. That cash flow then provides financial freedom to start expanding into other aspects of the Transformers universe as well as creating original IP.
    People like to talk about the narrow margins in the 3P game; the margins are less narrow when dealing with G1. It's a more sensible move to play it safe in that space before taking a chance with less popular or original designs.

To those who are over G1 to whatever degree, that just makes it even more important that when original stuff comes up you support it. Unless a project is blatantly awful, it's better to support something that isn't necessarily your ideal; otherwise it's very easy to blame failure on a lack of enthusiasm for original properties.

On a separate note, would it be splitting the difference enough to do modern -not IDW- takes on G1 characters? For example, a Sideswipe whose base is a 2015-2016 edition Lambo?

20. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hasbro is trying some cool ideas, but until they up their QC and plastic material quality again, there will still be a reason why I'd spend more on a 3P alternative.

3P stuff just captures that magic of why I was into this stuff when I was a kid. And most of the time I can crack open a new purchase and not have to worry about having a 50/50 chance of a lemon on every purchase.
    Not having that aggravation factor is worth a bit more imo.

• Like Like x 1