3P Masterpiece appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by jream, Apr 21, 2015.

1. mags2424

mags2424 TT and 3P MP Advocate

I love this guy. Can't wait for TE to see who the grand champ is.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  2. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

Jah Bless 3P.

20190111_122831.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  3. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It won’t be everyone’s choice, but for my money Unite Warriors Devastator does the job amazingly well.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  4. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes it’s the larger second version. Still no leader-1 in the size yet

• Like Like x 1
  5. tadhgoc

tadhgoc Well-Known Member

They’ve a good place holder for me till something better comes along.

6. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm actually really happy with them. The combined mode is epic, and spot on to the cartoon. I wish the individual guys had articulated hands, but otherwise I love them.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Bugste81

Bugste81 Ste

Capture.JPG _DSC1394.jpg _DSC1397.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  8. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's an unpopular opinion around these parts but I am 100% in agreement. I still wish that CW Devy's 18" size had been the standard for MP instead of Constructor's 20" size.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

I feel the same way, just wish I got the UW version as well....

10. M Alex

M Alex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    There's a reissue coming this month I think.

11. Bugste81

Bugste81 Ste

_DSC1406.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  12. Necrobot

Necrobot Mechanoid Vivisectionist

Great poses here Mr. Bugste!!! I keep considering the use of monofilament lines to suspend figures in the air for "mid-air" shots but don't quite have the courage to make the attempt.

In other news, what is up with the Masterpiece Appreciation thread?!

One of the posters said some very disparaging things about KO Megatron...

"Flatter finish, weird face," are two direct quotes.

As an owner of the THF Dynastron (a type of KO Megatron), I see nothing here that warrants such remarks.

IMG_20190112_153736.jpg

And I will speak ill of figures I spent my hard earned, through silver and blood, toil and trouble, money on.

For example... DX9 Chigurh. In my opinion... Chigurh is not a fun figure to transform... and the figure is pretty damn ugly with hollow arms and stick thin thighs. He makes for an awful space shuttle, but a rather decent locomotive. That said... he was affordable, and he gets the job done. If another version of Astrotrain was released that didn't break the bank too much, and had a better looking bot-mode and shuttle-mode... I would likely purchase the figure and make the upgrade.

My DacaToys Kronos is a floppy mess too...

Now I ask the entirety of the community... without quoting "Handsome Boy Modelling School"... what do you see when staring at this face?!?

IMG_20190112_115424.jpg
    IMG_20190112_115340.jpg
    IMG_20190112_115303.jpg

Is this a "weird face"?! Is the finish on this figure "flat"?! Of course people can say all kinds of things on the boards... even things they don't necessarily believe.

But really... there is a level of tribalism on the Masterpiece Appreciation thread that is almost visceral.

On page 2992 on the Masterpiece Appreciation thread, one community member said...

"I loathe the fact that it's hard to distinguish between real and fake anymore. Not just as an official-only collector, but because the fakes can be passed off as real to the uninitiated and spoil the experience."

While I understand everyone is entitled to an opinion... once again I ask the community...

Isn't it a great thing that there are affordable options for those of us who might want a specific figure for our collection?

If Takara's figures were more affordable... I wouldn't even consider a KO alternative.

And I understand that there are rules... But you know what... sometimes we need to reconsider the rules and ask "Are these policies really necessary?! Do they still make sense in the year 2019?"

I mean really... people are posting pictures of unrelated dinosaurs on the same thread... page 2991 if I recall correctly.

I am not sure why the Masterpiece Appreciation thread is so strangely elitist. Takara moles maybe?! I don't know... But, I won't be posting there ever again.

I will stay in my lane... on the 3P/MP thread... it's safer that way... with much more variety!!

Cheers!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

Thanks for the heads up buddy. Now I just got sell stuff to come up with the cash...

14. Necrobot

Necrobot Mechanoid Vivisectionist

Well said!! I and I agree!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bugste81

Bugste81 Ste

Capture.JPG _DSC1409.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  16. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's just psychology. You buy a toy for $230 and then a few months later, it gets knocked off and improved and I buy it for $90. You feel gypped. I spent less than half of what you did and I got more than you. It's not fair. People respond to this in different ways.

Some accept that the toy was worth $230 to them when they bought it and it's still worth that to them so they haven't lost anything. The might wish they'd gotten the KO at the cheaper price but its existence doesn't invalidate their toy or threaten them in any way.

Some feel the need to defend their purchase so they look for ways it's better. It's official so it's better. The paint on IT is flatter (it is a little less metallic looking than the official due to the protective layer over the paint). These people will sometimes try to take the moral high ground that KOs are wrong. All of this to try to convince themselves that it is still worth the greater price they paid.

There are also some people who genuinely believe KOs are wrong. It is IP theft and it has a demonstrable effect on the market. The seeeker molds went for $200 for years until the KOs came out. Now they're cheaper. They lower the resale value by flooding the market - why buy a super rare figure that's been out of print for years at an inflated price when you can get the almost as good KO for a fraction of the cost? There's also the concern someone voiced in one of the posts you quoted: a direct KO in packaging that looks like the original can be passed off as the original to unwary buyers - you buy an $80 carbot but get a $30 KO.

Personally, I don't care about any of that except the last point - when a bastard seller passes off a KO for an original - but that doesn't mean that people don't have a right to feel the way they do. If they want to complain about it, I really don't see how it harms any of us. I'm perfectly happy with my IT Megatron and consider the slight paint flatness to be a worthy trade for durable paint, a tighter fitting alt mode and improved tightness all around, extra accessories, and a much more reasonable price. I don't need others to share my view to feel validated in my choice.

• Like Like x 9
  17. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    Purists will always feel they are right. No need to think it over.

• Like Like x 8
  18. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What a pure way to think about it ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  19. mags2424

mags2424 TT and 3P MP Advocate

I just don’t get it though. Do people really think “I am a bigger person cause I stick up for a multi million dollar company” lol it just baffles me.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    Eh, whatever puts their mind at ease, I suppose.

It some regard, they are right. Theft is theft... I cannot argue that motivation as I feel the same way. But while I agree it is theft, I don't care as long the results work out in my favor.

Digressing as I will, I also see it as somewhat hypocritical to dismiss third party but defend every new Jetfire when Harmony Gold cries foul.