3D Printed Transformers Thread

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Zoingo, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Printformers

Printformers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hello [​IMG] Here are some new photos of the Yeung Tim Constructicons. Devastator mode prarts WIP

Galeries are here:
    Printformers
    Printformers

This figures are another great design by Yeung Tim. They have been printed in 63% scale to fit the Legends line. I have made a Cartoon color version and a G1 European color version.
    They can fully transform and will be able to combine. I made some modification to the files that I can share once you buy them from the designer.

You can find Tims 3D project here:

The 3D models of Tim_Yeung ・ Cults
    Items for sale by ti_yeun | eBay
    tim3Dprojects w Etsy

And my Projects here Printformers w Etsy

Legends01.jpg Legends02.jpg Legends04.jpg Legends05.jpg normal03.jpg normal04.jpg normal08.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Very nice!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zoingo

Zoingo Team Monkey Pants!

Awesome work! Good to know you're on here, I'll make sure to add you to the list. Those are some awe-inspiring designs! I have to ask, how much filament does one of those giant figures use?

Been wanting to make these guys, but elected to wait until all the files are out, then scoop them up. That's awesome to see someone else's prints! How are they so far? Hold together well enough? Decent joints?

Moving along, sorry for the long radio silence. Been busy and a wee bit discouraged if I'm to be transparent. I've gotten Scavenger printable, transformable, and combinable, but the scale is so out of whack that I'm not happy with it. And some of the things I had to do to make it snap together has a good chance of breaking, so really not sure where to go with it. Might still share it, but not sure how I feel about sharing something that I'm not happy with. At the same time, not sure I want to recreate the original figure, as I have other projects.

Working on printing the free transforming g1 Blitzwing. A lot bigger than I thought, and starting to think not planned for printing, but, again, working on it.

Lastly, a huge thanks to you guys that have been posting here while I haven't!

• Like Like x 1
  4. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

No worries about being radio silent. I know how that feels when something in life gets you down, so just wanted to post my support of your ambitious endeavor of keeping this thread alive. You did a great job at setting it all up and letting it roll along.

Glad to hear your updates with the Scavenger file. Sucks that it isn't working out as well as you hoped, but still any progress is good progress. Man, you jump right into the deep water attempting to make a G1 Blitzwing. I think if I started out I would try something less complicated like the minibots.

• Like Like x 2
  5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I do have 1 question about what you do and how you do it: how do you scale them for printing the files?

Ive worked in Solidworks and Fusion 360. Neither of those will scale the models.

Are you scaling the .stp files instead?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Botnanza

Botnanza One of those nerds with the 3D printer

Hello! just found this thread and would like to share a couple makes:

thumbnail (4).jpg thumbnail (7).jpg

thumbnail (5).jpg vehicle mode.jpeg vehicle functions.jpeg soundwave print pictures.jpg
    soundwave print 2.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  7. loof

loof A Cybernetically Enhanced Ape Descendant

3D printer soundwave. Nice.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DrJest

DrJest Crewdition Washout

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:
    I'm just finishing up on my first custom figure using parts I printed myself. It just needs some touch-ups. I wanted to go ahead and post here to bring some attention to the parts I used, though.
    20200816_160113.jpg
    Download 3D model Rung IDW TRANSFORMERS ・ Cults
    Wrung Chest For Chromia by SteamShield on Shapeways
    Upgrade Kit for Transformers Siege Crosshairs by jesslynmakesrobots (I used the hub caps on the shoulders)
    IKEA hex screw cover by jober80 (covered the chopped up ankles, also used it for the blue thing on top of his alt mode)
    ball joint by chicuco (the neck)
    https://www.patreon.com/FunbieStudios/posts (not pictured, I'm printing out a data pad and holder now)

I also used a knurled knob from a set of calipers on Thingiverse that I can't find now, which was the casing for the blue thing in the alt mode. I was happy to find some parts that worked even if they weren't specifically made for my purpose. I used Hatchbox PLA on an Ender 3 and I'm very happy with the quality of the prints. Even the head turned out pretty well but may get redone if I get a resin printer.

I might do a Radicons post for this, which will have more pictures and some info on the shortcomings of the end product (not totally happy with this but it's good for now).

• Like Like x 6
  9. Botnanza

Botnanza One of those nerds with the 3D printer

4FC31CE5-D225-4B23-959F-EBEDECDA5153.jpeg F820A57D-1109-4183-A888-9C17D978D749.jpeg
    just finished my first commission! A G1 arcee based on this art
    90DACF02-B0A0-4288-994D-4D80BAAF485A.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
  10. oneyouknowleast

oneyouknowleast Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ultraman zoffy

ultraman zoffy Well-Known Member

My halfway there MP Astrotrain non-transforming figure roughly based on Fanstoys Thomas. Fully articulated ratchet joints; only ball joint on him is his neck. I'll be using KFC KP-06 Optimus hands on him, my printer just can't hang with the tiny tolerances of articulated fingers.
    20200831_104437.jpg 20200831_104424.jpg 20200831_104450.jpg 20200831_104502.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  12. DrJest

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  13. ultraman zoffy

What filament are you using? I think you might be able to get better surface results with some updated slicer settings and a high quality filament. Resin prints are nicer, but they are a lot weaker than FDM prints on average. You'd get more mileage just sticking with FDM prints, tweaking your settings, trying out better filaments, and just post finishing your pieces by hand. On a dialed printer, Polymaker brand PLAs at .1 layer height will come out nearly perfect with little finishing work needed.

• Like Like x 2
  14. betsuni

Interesting. I just want to say thank you for this little tidbit of information. I'm still experimenting with 3D printing and just soaking up all the experience others have with them.

• Like Like x 2
  15. DrJest

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:
    It's Hatchbox white PLA. I'm using an Ender 3, which I have tuned a lot since I got it. I sliced it in Cura. This actually looks really good when not viewed in a close-up photo but I'd love any pointers for better settings.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ultraman zoffy

You should subscribe to Chuck Hellebuyck's (CHEP) Youtube channel, as he is always posting great new content centered on Creality printers. Here's a quick video on his most recent Cura profile:

I've been using his profiles for a long time as he really researches his adjustments, and I've always been happy with the results, and his videos are incredibly helpful without getting to tech jargon heavy.
    I've used one roll of Hatchbox PLA before and it was okay, but of all the brands I've experimented with, Polymaker PLA's (both their Polylite and Polymax lines) KILL everything out there in terms of surface quality (when everything is dialed) and layer adhesion strength. Polymax is the higher strength blend and costs a bit more per roll, and I use it on any designs that will be placed under higher than normal stress. Usually though, the Polylite blends cover most of my need if my design tolerances are dialed. Polymaker stuff is on Amazon. If you haven't already done so, I'd also suggest picking up a 32-bit board for your Ender-3; EASILY the best upgrade you can do, silences your motors to dead quiet so the only thing you'll hear are the fans, and comes with updated Marlin firmware which will have Thermal Runaway protection already enabled so that your Ender-3 doesn't flame on one day from a broken thermistor. Stock Ender-3's, including a lot of the V2's that shipped, have that protection disabled for some dumb reason.

https://www.amazon.com/BIGTREETECH-...keywords=ender-3+32+bit&qid=1599061580&sr=8-3

Hope that helps =)

• Like Like x 3
  17. DrJest

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:
    Thank you for the info! I've never seen that particular channel, so I'll check it out and see how the profile works for me. Hatchbox is reliable but I'm happy to pay a few dollars more for cleaner prints when I need them. Maybe I'll redo the head on my Rung when I get that in. I'd been looking into 32-bit boards, so I think I'll go ahead with this one.

I guess I'm doing a major overhaul of my whole printing setup now and I'm excited! Might have to wait a few weeks until some home remodeling is done and I can spare the attention. It's something to look forward to after we get through the other side.

I'd asked in the creative forum about this kind of thing back when I got the printer but didn't get much of a response. I'm really glad this thread is around and active so this kind of information can be shared.

• Like Like x 3
  18. ultraman zoffy

I'm no expert, but I'll try to help folks as much as I can with the info/knowledge I've gathered over the years since I started printing, as opposed to keeping to myself like I usually do. My mindset is way more on the creative side instead of the collector side of things nowadays, so I don't really relate to the majority of the threads on TFW anymore. Stuff is way more interesting here in Creative with people actually making cool stuff, in contrast to all the complaining, whining, and arguing everywhere else on TFW. lol

• Like Like x 5
  19. betsuni

Appreciate your posting and sharing your experience. I just ordered some of that Polymaker to try out.

• Like Like x 2
  20. ultraman zoffy

If you ordered Polylite, it works good at 225C. Polymax is good around 205C. Start at those temps and adjust as needed if necessary. I'd suggest you upgrade your bowden tube to Capricorn tubing as well, which will hold up even at 245C. Stock tube on the Ender is ass. lol

• Like Like x 2