3D Printed Transformers Thread

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Zoingo, Jul 12, 2020.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Just buying a printer is the best idea - you can get great ones for under $200. If you get a lot of stuff 3d printed it pays for itself pretty quick.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I would like to. I guess I need to look into it some more. I guess my concern is print speed and the printer not messing up halfway through a print.

• Like Like x 1
  3. KibblerGrrrl

KibblerGrrrl Zealous mini-cassettes & fembots evangelist

I've been looking at filament printers too. I really don't care about the print speed; I just want the best possible detailed prints with minimal layer striations. I looked at resin printers, but that resin is toxic.

4. KibblerGrrrl

For anyone that has both Titans Return Wheelie and SS86 Grimlock, is there some little part that could be designed to peg onto Wheelie's inner legs or Grimlock's neck to securely clip him in there?

(I don't have SS86 Grimlock, so I'm not sure if it's even doable.)

5. TrailbreakimusPrime

TrailbreakimusPrime Well-Known Member

Neat idea as a copy/slight resculpt. Think this can be made to look like the car from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

• Like Like x 1
  6. TrailbreakimusPrime

TrailbreakimusPrime Well-Known Member

Me being dumb, but they kinda had a similar design style for Optimus no matter the show. Pretty much. But they didn't do that with Megatron. I'd love to know if anyone's attempted heads for the various Megatron incarnations through the years as G1 styled?

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Slower is generally better regardless of printer, as far as the printer messing up - that comes down to learning how to use it and the quality of filament you put in it.

With the speed and layer settings I use, I can get something like a deluxe size rifle printed in about 20-30 minutes, and it comes out great.

• Like Like x 2
  8. oneyouknowleast

oneyouknowleast Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lots of people make great miniatures with FDM printers, look on youtube videos for help with profiles and setup.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GT2

GT2 Well-Known Member

I think that summarises so many 3D modeling experiences!

The sheer number of hours spent rebuilding significant chunks of a design for what may seems like a minor change is never seen by many.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    I hear ya. That's usually how it is with my normal art, too. It's often quicker just to start over than to use what I'd already drawn.

Anyway, I'm planning on making a Nautica out of TR Scourge or TR Blurr sooner or later, so I spent today modeling a face for my Blurr Titanmaster I'd designed. I'm not gonna be able to print it out for a while until i get some new FEP sheets for my printer but at least i've got it lined up.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  11. KibblerGrrrl

YES!

12. ThunderDestron

ThunderDestron Vast predatory bird

Looks cool! I'd suggest scourge

13. Chaos Convoy

News Credits:
    Forgot she had an antenna

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  14. Chaos Convoy

News Credits:
    I modified the face from Nautica a bit (stretched and squished it) and made a head for my old custom TR Override as well!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  15. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    Anyone print any of the CW Superion thigh addons that are available?

16. Indy2006

Indy2006 Well-Known Member

Just go a 3D printer for Father’s Day and started printing some existing models....

First some hands and feet for G2 Superion

7453548F-BA87-485A-9DFD-20EEF963777F.jpeg
    79E0255E-4AFC-492A-9CEF-E61F9E464219.jpeg
    79E0255E-4AFC-492A-9CEF-E61F9E464219.jpeg
    E3A03E7F-51C1-4AB3-9A13-551EFFF7594A.jpeg

Then some null rays for an Earthrise starscream I got used minus the weapons...

4853B455-F310-492A-8BE8-CC42BA8D96A0.jpeg
    D0040DA5-B2DD-4A0D-ABF5-88C897A36396.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  17. Chaos Convoy

News Credits:
    So, big week as far as designing stuff goes. I tweaked Nautica's face some more, since to me it looked more like Energon Arcee than Nautica. I basically just made the top of her helmet wider and got rid of the antenna just because it wouldn't fit or look right with the new design. I plan on using a bit of very thin styrene rod to make the antenna after it's printed out.

On top of that, I designed a brand new chest for the Scourge body for Nautica, new arms, her v-tol/hover fans, some clip-on knee pads and her sonic wrench! The wrench has a 5mm peg on the side and vise is 3mm wide so it can hold small weapons. I may just end up designing a separate mount for it, though, as I think the version with the peg is ugly af.

The arm has an elbow and upper arm swivel and is made to connect to the body via Scourge's stock shoulder joint and utilizes the existing hands as well. The chest uses the existing Titanmaster port piece from Scourge as well as the sliding assembly for the legs. It also uses the existing canopy. The v-tol fan is 5 pieces (the wing, each half of the fan and the central cone for each half of the fan) and is held together by a M2 screw so it can be taken apart non-destructively. It clips onto the wings that Scourge already has, although with some modification to the Scourge parts just to get rid of some unnecessary kibble. I might design a new canopy for Nautica altogether soon, too.

I also realized a couple days ago Nautica doesn't necessarily have to be a Titanmaster. I can tweak the design a bit and just have the head rotate into the chest. If I design a rotating panel for the neck joint, make the back of her head to replace the Titanmaster body and change up the chest to accommodate the rotating panel, she can just be a regular Transformer. But I really like Titanmasters, so it's not a high priority for me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
  18. Indy2006

Indy2006 Well-Known Member

So I grabbed a G1 seeker parts kit off of Cults3D and spent some time reworking the null ray missles to look more like the original G1 ones for my Thundercracker (since he’s the only one I’m missing the missles for.) I think they’re pretty darn close now.

884B00D1-57BA-46C9-8FFC-7935C4BFFF2E.jpeg 3ACD1E54-C6FA-49F8-90E7-BF43B0C3824E.jpeg E4C5FEF4-7673-4AD2-9C5C-EF43D84BB025.jpeg

However, color matching is a bit tricky. Are there any color matching references anywhere that can help with painting?

• Like Like x 5
  19. ThunderDestron

ThunderDestron Vast predatory bird

Those look good.

I dont know what the paint color is called, but if you search for "find paint color from image" there are several websites and apps that might be able to help you. I don't know what Id even call that besides "Thundercracker blue" because it is like a mix of navy and a dark turquoise color.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chaos Convoy

News Credits:
    Another day, another Titanmaster

Actually, 4 more Titanmasters! Since I was planning on making Nautica out of Scourge, I decided to replicate his Titanmaster as well. And as I was looking at Scourge's Titanmaster in hand, I decided to pull down Windblade from the shelf as well and noticed that her Titanmaster was actually slightly remolded! And then that got me thinking "well, what if Highbrow's is remolded too?" So I pulled him off the shelf and found it was, in fact, remolded as well! So after some slight tweaking, I've got 3 new Titanmasters from the one project. After I finished those, the next day I decided to replicate Leinad's new parts as well since I already had Blurr's Titanmaster modeled from my first ever TR project.

Anyway, long story short -- 4 Titanmasters that will be uploaded to Cults after I print them out and take some actual pics of them.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9