Repro/Sticker: 3D printed arm panel for TF:Prime Optimus

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by schloboticus, Jan 16, 2019.

1. schloboticus

schloboticus Member

Does anyone know of existing 3D printed arm panels to cover the clear plastic on TF Prime Optimus (voyager)? Was thinking these could be designed to plug into the 5mm holes and cover the forearm in a red plastic.

Attached Files:

2. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    i believe this should be in creative GD, and as far as i know i don't think there's one i'm aware of

3. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Not trying to be obnoxious here, but if you're gonna 3d print panels, you'll need to paint them so why wouldn't you just paint over the clear plastic?

4. wwoptimusprime

wwoptimusprime Till all are one

Not necessarily, if you can find the right red plastic to use in the 3D printer.

5. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

I suppose that's true but 3d printing leaves layer lines and other defects that need to be sanded and filled in. By the time you're done with that and have gotten it to where it matches the injection molded parts, you're gonna' need to paint over it anyway, especially if you had to fill in any gaps. That's why I just print everything in grey - I'm going to end up filling it with grey apoxie sculpt and covering it in grey primer anyway.

6. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    I would second the motion to just paint it. I've been meaning to paint the arms on mine for years.

7. schloboticus

schloboticus Member

I’m a super casual collector and just don’t have time or space to develop a skill at painting. Thought the idea of using those peg holes in the arms for sticking in some panels would be an interesting ideas. I obviously don’t know the finer points of 3D printing either. I guess for me the ideal would be like a 3rd party add on in the matched plastic. But thanks for the feedback (hears music set to The More You Know...)

8. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    You'd be surprised at how much even a casual customizer can get done with with a few paint markers and a silver sharpie. Molotow makes great acrylic markers.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Axos

Axos Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Paint is the way to go
    3D-printing can look much better than people give it credit for, but the problem with this mold is space. It's impossible to get what you want without partsforming due to the transformation

10. DualDiac84

DualDiac84 Heroic Destructicon

Functionist Universe, Cybertron, Lower Tetrahex
    YouTube:
    Can you also design some new arm blades n' blasters, I can't find the Dr.wu ones and First Edition prime is way to expensive!