3A - Transformers: TLK - Optimus Prime, Bumblebee & Sqweeks - Premium Scale Figures

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by iOnlyEatEnergon, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Queen Prime

Queen Prime Eliza Prime

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
  2. floriol

floriol Active Member

Maybe it's just me but after comparing the figure to the CGI model, I feel like 3A overdid the weathering a bit on this guy (at least in some areas).

3A-TLK-Optimus-Prime-033.jpg

It works if you look at certain scenes like this one where he is battered up after that hard landing: Screenshot (167).png

But in most scenes the metal on him has a kinda shiny looking surface as supposed to the figure which feels rougher in comparison and not as sharp in details from up close.
    Screenshot (171).png
    3A-TLK-Optimus-Prime-046.jpg

Again, maybe it's just me since I never actually held the figure in hand. The dlx scale Prime is a good example of how 3A managed to add the weathering while keeping the smooth looking surface just like in the movie (could be because some parts are diecast?). I could see myself waiting on them to do the bayverse bots in the dlx scale but that would be a gamble (I heard their licences are only for one movie at a time and for a limited time). I was really looking forward to get him to be my grail and couldn't help but notice these things as I'm all about the accuracy.

What do ya'll think?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    As someone who actually owns this amazing figure (I'm looking at it as I type this), IMO you're being way too hard on it. To compare the details you're talking about you'd have to have a freakin magnifying glass. Also, it's plastic so he's not gonna look the same as something that's completely different materials aka metals and many layers of car paint essentially. Also, you're using two different screenshots from two very different scenes where the weathering and lighting is totally different. The figure can't be two looks at the same time.

If you'd prefer a more shiny look and less weathering though I understand that. Not everyone wants the gritty look that 3A goes for, although I personally think they strike a good balance. I don't like that some of the 3P companies are trying so hard to be 3A with their paint though. They're not as good at it and their figures just end up looking dirty half the time.

• Like Like x 3
  4. floriol

floriol Active Member

Fair points you got there, can't argue with that. But please don't get me wrong, I still think the figure is an amazing piece . The first screeshot I used was meant to show where the figure succeeded with the weathering and I wish he would've kept some of that throughout the movie. I'm also aware that 3A probably only uses a certain 3D model for reference and that the movie isn't consistent with the actual CGI character but sometimes the accuracy freak inside me takes over.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I think the details you're critiquing are just the inevitability of being a small scale collectible. I mean the details look pretty sharp to me, just not as sharp as the large-scale CGI model. The weathering also looks more accurate than not, especially on the helmet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. floriol

floriol Active Member

I thought about that too but it's not THAT small. The DLX Bumblebee has quite good detail sharpness being an 8 inch figure so I'm pretty sure that the way Prime turned out was intentional to achieve the rugged look.

7. floriol

floriol Active Member

I also noticed that the blue color was different in the movie and after doing a little research I came to realize how pointless it is to compare the figure with the character on-screen because the movie isn't consistent with the color. I used some scenes from AoE for reference since the model is basically the same (supposedly).

comparison 1.jpg
    comparison 2.jpg

Even the actual poster for AoE has him looking that way which makes me think that's the actual concept and that's what 3A has been using for reference.

comp3.jpg

Even with scenes that are literally moments set apart from each other:
    comparison 4.jpg

He should be the same color as the real life truck but it gets ambiguous because there seem to be two different trucks out there, one or both of them having an iridescent coating that does indeed play tricks in certain lighting(not achievable on a plastic figure I think). That effect is not present on Prime though or it's just poorly imitated as they ended up changing the shade completely.
    9997.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  8. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yeah it's really fruitless to compare. Any movie will have color correction and tweaking for every scene, the sizes of the bots will change, the angles will make everything look different, etc plus different layers of dirt and mud and dents and scratches and debris for different scenes, totally different lighting, etc. You're gonna drive yourself (and us) crazy with this deep of an analysis. If you want a knight prime that looks as perfect as it does in the movies you're gonna have to get your hands on some transformium and build it yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  9. floriol

floriol Active Member

I promise no more analysis for now, I learned my lesson :lol 

10. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Hey, it's a discussion forum, so analysis is fine, but you're just sort of giving yourself an impossible task here...

• Like Like x 1