3-D movies

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by JetRaid, Apr 9, 2010.

?

Do you like 3-D?

1. Yes

23.5%
  2. No

76.5%
  1. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    I went to see Clash of the titans in 3-D on Sunday and the 3-D glasses hurt my eyes and gave me a headache, most of the scenes didn't even need 3-D. Its pretty pointless for movies that weren't made for it, I think Toy Story 3 is made for 3-d so its probably going to be more at your face 3-d.

Do you like 3-D?

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

The glasses are a bit annoying, esp for really long movies like Avatar.

Nevertheless, I find it an overall enjoyable experience when the movies are made for 3D. Unfortunately, given the success of 3D, we're in that uncomfortable stage where a lot of movies with be retrofitted in post-production to capitalize on the craze.

As the say goes, buyer beware.

3. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    No, simply because I think we're entering an era of filmmaking where 3D and visuals will be placed over plot and character development. I can safely say that I wouldn't miss 3D if it meant better movies.

I also don't like it because the glasses can get annoying. :lol 

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    nope don't like it and we aren't getting all the 3d hype because 3d was successful its because Avatar was so successful

5. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

screw 3d, screw hd, all i care about is watching the DAMN movie, and i can do that with a normal dvd, thank you very much :lol 

6. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have yet to see a film in 3D. It just really isn't on my radar.

7. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

I saw a movie (How To Train Your Dragon) in 3D for the first time just last week. I did not like it...the gimmick, that is, the movie was great.
    For the bare minimum of what it's supposed to be (i.e. the movie appearing separated in different levels of depth) I suppose it works. However, the people who push it always credit as something to really pull you into the movie. I felt it had the exact opposite effect. As for why: The edge of the screen.
    Things do appear to be closer and further until you notice that everything cuts off at the same 4 spots (i.e. the sides of the rectangular border of the screen). For me, this completely ruined the illusion and made me consistently aware I was watching a movie; and it's always been easy for me to ignore the real world around me when enjoying a movie.

I also have a personal issue with 3D because I wear glasses. Wearing the 3D pair over my prescription glasses was the only way the movie would look any good and it seemed to put a lot of stress on my eyes.

8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only 3D movie I've ever seen was Avatar. While I could see the depth of items, it didn't thrill me enough to see another 3D movie. Add to the fact that the 3D movies cost so much more over a normal movie, no thanks.

9. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I've never really seen a 3D movie where it actually seemed cool, I mean I don't even notice it after two minutes

10. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I have yet to be impressed by 3-D movies that are not in IMAX, although 2-D IMAX movies are just as impressive as the 3-D ones to me.

I hope the 3-D trend passes and doesn't become the norm. The last thing they need is an excuse to increase ticket prices even more.

11. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    I saw Final Destination 4 and A Christmas Carol in 3-D last year and found both experiences to be enjoyable. I did NOT see Avatar in 3-D, however, because of it's long runtime. I think 3-D works best with shorter movies that are shot in the format and not converted to it after the fact.

12. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

Somewhat agree. I think 3D movies should really be exclusive as amusement park attractions than actual movies, unless everything else about the movie plot-and-character-wise is good.

13. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    No, because the glasses are a pain in the ass.

14. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Fuck. The. Glasses.

Personally, I'll be one happy bastard when the whole 3-D thing ends.

15. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

You pretty much hit the nail on the spot. And who the hell would want to plonk a 100 bucks for a pair of 3-D glasses?

16. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

This. I'm in for anything actually shot in 3D, but not interested in stuff thats been cobbled up afterwards.

I certainly don't think that we should deny filmmakers the use of 3D just because some people whine about everything that is new or different. We'd still have dudes at the front of the cinema playing the piano if we stuck to that mentality.

17. tfan123

tfan123 Well-Known Member

The only movie i saw in 3d and actually liked that way was Avatar. Plus, i saw COTT in 3D and it didnt even work. It was just one scene that worked, the rest was just blah.

18. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

I think 3D only works if the movie is shot specifically for 3D--like Coraline. However, if the 3D is shoehorned in--like Clash Of The Titans--then it can be a pain in the ass.

19. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    I have mixed feelings about it - so far the only 3D movie I've watched is How to Train Your Dragon. It was used to good effect but there were many shots that seemed to emphasise 3D just for the sake of it. Before it was on I saw a trailer for some god-awful movie about dancing that will be in 3D, but everything looked like layered cardboard cut-outs. For any given movie I'd probably wait for some feedback on how effective the 3D is before paying extra to watch it as such.

20. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I don't think it'll really come off the ground until they find a way to have 3D without glasses. Until then, it'll most likely be a shortlived gimmick.