25th Anniversary Unicron (amazon exclusive)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Valkysas, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Like many fans, I was really looking forward to this release. New head, G1 colors, and only 60 bucks? Hell yeah, right?

First off, I will only be reviewing Unicron's robot mode, as QC issues have robbed me of the ability to transform him.
    I've traded double planet shells with captclueless, and I'll update my review to include planet mode when it arrives.
    Check your unicrons! When yours arrives, check to make sure you don't have two of the same ring, two of the same shells, or two of the same mouth parts. If you do, let people know! You can probably find someone to trade your extra with, for what you need!

[​IMG]

Onto the robot. I'll only be going over the differences here, as most of us have experience with this toy in one form or another by now. You can see the deco for yourself, so I'm going to be talking about the physical differences, mostly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks pretty good. But this mold has been used over and over the past decade, and it's wearing down. None of his joints are as solid as on the Armada figure. None of his anything is as solid as the Armada figure. Even the finger joints. For the most part, the joints are still more than strong enough to do their jobs (especially the ratcheting ones), but some are lacking, like the ankles, which have a hard time supporting him. I know that's always been a problem, but it's quite a bit worse here. As you can see, his chest doesn't even fit together right, and the two halves sag. This is really the only thing that seriously bugs me on the toy, and it bugs me a lot. Another annoyance is that the stomach door no longer locks in place. The only thing keeping it closed on this toy is the crotch piece being locked up under it. Fold that down, and the door flops around easily. This doesn't annoy me that much, since on the Armada version, it locked in so tight that it was quite a pain to open.

Probably the biggest contributor to the above issues is that he's made with inferior plastic. Well, everything but the orange. The orange is great. Everything else? Feels quite a bit like Battle in Space Cyclonus. Good, but not as good as it used to be. Oh, and the planet shell parts, along with the two chest halves are now made with flexible plastic. Not rubbery, just flexible. Not the solid plastic of the Armada original. Look forward to those possibly getting warped over time, and paint easily chipping off. I have no idea if the same parts are made of a softer plastic on the japanese 2010 version of the figure. Hopefully someone can let us know.

There is one remold, compared to the Armada version (not counting the head). The arms that the ring halves connect to used to have a tab that could lock them into the shoulder mount pieces in a straight-up position. This was handy for planet mode transformation. These tabs are gone now. I have no idea why.

Onto the minicon, Kranix.

[​IMG]
    Mold degradation has hit him too, although not as bad. He just doesn't fit into his ballthing mode as tight as the original.

[​IMG]
    Robot mode looks nice, joints are tight, no complaints. Not much else to say.

So, is unicron worth it?
    • As a display piece, absolutely. None of the problems I've noted will impact him at all if he's just standing on a shelf. Posing could get harder over time due to weaker joints (like in the legs), but he still looks cool standing straight.
    • As a toy? Sure. He's lower quality than the armada original, but he's still fun, and none of the problems really impact his playability.
    So yeah, he has his issues, but he's still very cool, and not one of the "problems" are serious enough that they should deter people at all.

of course, if you can't get him, the Armada version is still great, if you have that. No problem with sticking with it.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Bonus section. BOX.

Box? Why box? Because the box is cool.

[​IMG]
    This box is really nice. Aside from the CG art. Blegh. You just see Unicron, holding his minicon Kranix. No ring parts, no shell parts. So where are those?

[​IMG]
    That back piece that has the background behind Unicron, and the part that shows off the promo pictures on the back is it's own box! Both it and the tray Unicron are in are just slid inside the outer plastic sleeve, nothing's taped or glued to anything else. Just open the box and slide it out.

[​IMG]
    I don't know why I think this inner box is so cool, but I do.

[​IMG]
    The inner box opens up, and inside there you'll find two bags. These bags contain the shell halves, the ring halves, missiles, chest projectile, and instructions.

It's a really elegant solution. He displays great in box because these extra parts are all invisible, and he's really easy to repackage because of it. The only tape you'll ever have to cut is on the top of the plastic sleeve. if you don't cut the tape on the back, you can keep the top attached as a lid, and effortlessly slide everything back inside. Extremely collector friendly!

ADDITION:
    if you're having trouble figuring out what to do with the wings, this is for you.

Peg the minicon posts on the wings into his shells like this. This is why there's holes cut into the shells.

Like this:
    [​IMG]

See? Perfectly held in place:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Nice pics and review. Sorry to hear about the QC issues of yours.

It seems like a good display piece to me. I've seen Primus and different deco Unicron in person from time to time, to me they're just like any other AEC blocks, only bigger.

Being a North America online exclusive priced at $60, this reminds me of the Seacons, which is a mass release pretty much in the rest of the world.

3. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    I think you just saved me sixty bucks.

Retail release in some parts of Asia. TRU? And I think that's it.

4. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I tell ya...Ive seen ALOT of QC issues in the DOTM line. I have had to return a fair amount because of QC issues...but THIS...WOW bro...getting two of the same giant panels...thats pretty damn bad.

I see the allure with owning unicron...but this one just isnt for me. Ive seen it so many times for so cheap and passed. is this mold 10 years old now? Gotta be getting there...I NEW Unicron with new technology would be impressive...but then Id rather see a Movie shockwave that size before a Unicron...May just get one if that character from the TFP video turns out to be him.

Thanks for the pics

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    It happened with the Armada release, too. Not to me, but people with the same shells or same ring halves were somewhat common.

6. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    it also happened with the takara 2010 one

7. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This one is pretty nice, and I would have gotten it if it weren't for the fact I already own an Armada one. I don't really need to have a cartoon accurate Unicron, so I'll just pass on this one.

8. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh dang, you've made me really worried about the one coming in right now. I hope I am not faced with horrifying quality control issues. If I had foreseen this, I might have gotten the Armada one instead.

9. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm saving mine for Christmas but I just had to open it to check the planet halves. Happy to report mine are OK.

10. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    This might sound stupid, but can't you contact Amazon about this issue? Unlike the Takara release, I would think that Amazon US would be far easier to deal with exchanging.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Can't do an exchange if they're out of stock. Best I can do right now is get a refund. I'm going to try finding someone with the same problem I have, but with the other shell half. We can do a trade, and both be happy. If not, as soon as it comes in stock again, I'll set up an exchange. If neither of those happen before the October 1st cutoff date, I'll settle for a refund, and buy another one later on.

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Damn, the new one looks REALLY nice, I'd totally get it if I didn't still have my Armada release one from childhood. Love the paint job on the new one, though, and frankly from my personal experience it's more of a display piece anyway since it's kind of hard to play with a figure who is THAT big (not to mention my Unicron's chest missile gimmick has decided that whenever I handle the figure and jiggle it enough for some reason, it WILL go off without a mini-con attached to the back, and it's a pain to get back in).

Although this is, surprisingly, the first time I've heard of the original Armada Unicron having two of the same planet "shell" side. Guess I got lucky in Christmas of 2003.

13. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Or better yet, someone who displays it in robot mode only may be willing to be part with both halves of the planet shell.

14. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wasn't that a common problem with the 2010 version Valkysas?

I remember worrying about that and the dreaded matching set of teeth:eek: 

Luckily, my 2010 Unicron is A ok:thumbs2: 

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's how I discovered this. I said to myself, "I should make sure the teeth aren't messed- heeeeyyyy, wait a damn minute..."

Then I yelled a swear word.

The more I look at this guy, the less I like him. The deco is just too dark. It looks dull. I really think I'm going to have to track down the takara version when I eventually become extremely rich for a mysterious and surely stupid reason.

16. sixpointsinspace

sixpointsinspace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got mine in the mail yesterday as well. On mine at least the plastic is definitely different from the Armada Release, but I wouldn't say cheap feeling. Joints seem fine on mine and no mismatched chomper panels. Love the metallic look and that head just peers into your soul.

My only complaint was the packaging was not in great shape when it arrived and was basically open on the bottom. If I was a MISB collector that would bother me more. Also I always had loose missiles on the legs with my Armada release that would go off when the wind changed. This one doesn't seem to have that problem.

I think if you can get one you should. Its a steal compared to the 2010 release and the head alone is worth the $60 entry fee. I think true movie accuracy is somewhere between both releases. I like the face color on the 2010 release and the dark greys are pretty sexy but this release has more detail and has a neat metallic sheen to it. The Blues of the legs and other parts are really a bluish gray, not bright blue like some photos look. Its a pretty close match to the animation in some scenes. The Orange is a much more appropriate match I think than the 2010 release.

For $60 and free 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime I can't complain - awesome purchase.

One other note - The packaging is ridiculously large. I can't remember the Armada packaging being close to that big. Also the "Bayverse" Interpretation of Unicron for the profile picture on the side of the box is pretty bad looking. Makes him just look weird.

17. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hasbro uses really nice silver paint. Sorry to hear about the same two planet halves.

18. haw1144

haw1144 Well-Known Member

How did you get the Amazon one to have his feet angled out while the legs are still straight? Does the knee join allow you to twist/turn??

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    There's a swivel joint right under the knee joint. I use that to spread the Unicron mold's legs apart, since their first ratchet position is way too far apart for my liking.

20. haw1144

haw1144 Well-Known Member

Oh awesome! I currently have the legs apart, and you're right... the first rachet is waaaay too far.

I did briefly try to rotate at the knee to angle the feet out, but I wasnt sure how much pressure to give it. I'll give it a harder twist tonight!