2022 screening vs Official (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Cyborgraptor, Jun 7, 2023.

1. XenoXX121

XenoXX121 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Another difference I know of is that Airazor did not tell Primal to kill her and he snapped her neck. Also, Noah was the only one with an ending speech because Prime was in space.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Minibots

Minibots Greetings

The test screening version of the film sounds like shit.

And Prime just collecting bodies and dumping them in the river… like, what the fuck?

• Like Like x 9
  3. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    I think the one thing I would’ve liked are a few more lines from Scourge about how much life sucks working for Unicron. That last clip from this week that showed his face had that line “you can’t stop the inevitable” and I was wondering if it would go into a line like “I know because I’ve TRIED”. And I thought maybe at the last second he would go down trying to stop Unicron just to be free of his tortured existence as a Herald.

I still could tell being a Herald royally sucked, but a few more lines would’ve helped.

Also, I wish we had gotten a more comical reaction from Battletrap and Nightbird when Unicron was Force-choking Scourge.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Big primal

Big primal Well-Known Member

Overall, i think the final version was better. I just wish they kept the Transit scene, but maybe cut the dumping the bodies in the river part.

• Like Like x 10
  5. Kenji

Kenji Well-Known Member

I mean the release movie sounds like shit. You can't polish a turd thats why it turned out the way it did.

6. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I assume to set up the idea, present in the released movie but presented in a slightly different context, that Prime has lost his way as a leader.

I think it's good that they cut it, TBH. Primes arc is, basically, him relearning to have faith in himself as a leader (and to trust others.) Part of the payoff to this arc is him murdering the fuck out of Scourge. That doesn't really work if he's established up front as being a vicious killer piling bodies in a lake. It's like, remember Sgt. Powell in Die Hard? How his arc ends with him shooting a guy? They set that up by having him not able to kill, making a point out of how he's lost his mojo. If the movie started with him shooting a bunch of people, then talking with McClaine for two hours, then shooting one of the villains, it would fall totally flat.

Prime's arc isn't as good or coherent as that – killing Scourge doesn't really show growth in the areas where he's weak as a leader, especially since he fights and tries to kill other bad guys in other scenes – but it's better not to have an opening scene establishing him killing as a character flaw.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Cyborgraptor

Cyborgraptor Well-Known Member

Good catch! I'll add this to the main post. I wanna collect all differences for people to comeback and reference whenever.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Aha, me and some friends were wondering if Air Razor's final line was added in as adr after the fact, because it seemed like that was the case. The final product is a massive improvement then, including how she dies.

Frankly anything about how Scourge got to where he did would have been interesting. Did he sell out his own world to save his skin? Did he seek power or ~forbidden knowledge~? Was he just a nihilist? It would have put him in a bit more of context and I think it could have been used to juxtapose his motivations with the Maximals and Autobots instead of things staying so shallow.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I think the biggest problem is that this arc about Prime getting self-confidence only works if he's actually still new to the job, I.E. literally Animated Optimus Prime's arc.

Optimus in ROTB, by extension BBM, has already been fighting this war for presumably years. You mention it was good that the Transit scene was cut because it otherwise takes away from Prime's grand guignol execution of Scourge, but again, this is in continuity with BBM. The film where almost all the cybertron scenes are composed entirely of nothing but this very same Optimus Prime completely styling all over Decepticon goons. Hell, when we see him for the second time during the hologram in the forest scene? In 30 seconds he does the following:

-He jumps off the launch pad tower thing and grabs onto a seeker
    - forces them to crash into a wall
    - does a sommersault on landing and subsequently takes out six other seekers with a gun and some CQC
    - punches Ravage in the face
    -
    is charged by like, two dozen Decepticons simultaneously, and manages to survive that completely unscathed since he's totally fine when we see him for the third and final time on Earth at the end of the movie

Prime in the BBM continuity is already a battle hardened badass, so if anything, he should have fared far better against Scourge initially than the movie allows him to be.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought it was implied that he was co-erced into serving Unicron when his planet was destroyed. I thought it was good that it was only served as subtext.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DarkAxalonSyde

DarkAxalonSyde Excessively Angry Decepticon

As I'm not all that happy to essentially have Bay Prime back, for this film, I'm gald they at least cut Prime having collection of bodies he's dumped in the river. It's like they were trying to outdo Bay Prime. For that reason, I'm also glad they removed anything that made Scourge sympathetic, with how deadset Optimus was on killing him and how (typically, for live action Prime) brutal his death was.

Having more focus on Noah's military past certainly would've helped, well, give it any kind of purpose for being established, but also better explain why he distrusts Prime and would strengthen what ended up being rather weak parallels between them. Though, that might have made the resolution even worse, especially paired with that random "humans are great" speech. With the story they had, cutting out Noah's motivation for distrusting Prime, so he could be more easily swayed and getting rid of Prime’s random speech, so his change of spark feels more proportional to what little was really done to sway him, was probably the best they could do. Still, sounds like they had to polish a turd into something halfway presentable.

Pity Mirage didn't stay dead, as his revival was just strange.

• Like Like x 5
  12. PrimeBot

PrimeBot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wish some of this stuff stayed in the movie like Rhinox Home line. Cheetor saying big bot, predacons mention and some of Scourge lines with Unicron even the Transit scene. But glad Prime fate was changed along with most of his arc.
    I even find some of the stuff with WJ and Arcee cute.
    This could explain why the vfx feel rushed.

• Like Like x 7
  13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It's definitely implied
    his service is no longer voluntary and that his world was eaten but I don't think we get more than that. I can see the appeal of mystery in a character like him, but I think we don't get enough of a picture (especially given the big reveal of his face) as to what HE wants as a character (even within the context of being a pawn of Unicron) and how he feels about things to really have more than a shallow conflict between him and the Maximals (you killed my friend and work for the dude who ate my world! - yeah I know ur world was tasty lol) and the Autobots (you killed my friend and work for the dude who wants to eat my world! - yeah I know ur world looks AGH did you just throw lava into my face?!). I think even one or two more throwaway lines could have done wonders here, given how Optimus Primal's limited development really made a difference for me.

• Like Like x 2
  14. PrimeBot

News Credits:
    Feels like a good 15-20 min chunk was cut from the movie or changed.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Rodimushunter10

Rodimushunter10 Well-Known Member

I can really see them incorporating somr of these seems as an extended cut for the release!!!! I think some of these make the film even better!!

16. BlaminisPrime

BlaminisPrime Neighborhood cute boy

Twitter:
    I guess I can confirm now that Cyborgraptor here was indeed my source for most of my information when I made my bigs posts back in august. Overall, I greatly prefer the version we got, but I wish some lines and jokes stayed in, particularly the Predacons line, the big bot line, and the joke about Airrazor turning heads.

I think there's a world in which we can have both the Maximal opening scene and Transit to introduce Optimus' plight. maybe put the transit scene in the middle of the human setup near the beginning, after Noah decides to take the thief job and before Elena activates the signal. In the actual movie I think it's weird how Mirage narrates where prime's head is instead of us seeing or hearing it from Prime himself.

LOVE that they didn't set up evil optimus again after all, I love the scene of Noah and Primal saving Optimus, cause it's Humans, Autobots, and Maximals uniting to help each other, that's the theme of the movie!

Scourge was never going to get the time to expand on his tragedy, so I'm glad they figured to just have him like what he does and be a bit of a sarcastic. you can't have him be a sad villain like Darth Vader when he dies at the end of the first movie.

Mirage coming back is like, yeah it's weird that dead bots can just come back, but that always happens. And Mirage is a wayyy better bond with Noah than Bee and Sam ever were, you can't just leave mirage dead! They're buddies!

But yeah overall, interesting to see how the movie changes, I hope a lot of what was deleted or changed can be found on the bluray, and maybe someone can make a youtube vid of them put back into the movie. I loved the movie a lot though!!

• Like Like x 6
  17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I'd argue you also don't need to kill him, either. One of the big problems with the Transformers films is they always have to kill the big bad. Retreat never seems to be an option unless you're Bayverse Megatron and you were just brought back to life in a given sequel.

• Like Like x 6
  18. PrimeBot

News Credits:
    Even if he survived, Unicron would probably torture him to death.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BlaminisPrime

Twitter:
    Yeah but like. Scourge killed Bumblebee right in front of Optimus, he was never making it out. Plus the way he died is sick as hell

• Like Like x 3
  20. BlaminisPrime

Twitter:
    There's no point in saying what should've happened to a character anymore, the movie's out, it's not changing. I'm just saying I think they did the best thing they could've done to a villain that dies at the end, and not give us a half assed tragic thing, and just make him really deliciously an asshole

• Like Like x 4