2019 Major League Baseball (MLB) Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sylent, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Well, Bryce Harper has finally signed with the Phillies for a 13-year, $330M deal with no opt out clause.

As a Giants fan, I'm torn. On one hand, he would've the team immediately watchable again and given us a power bat in the outfield. On the other, he was merely a .240 hitter last season and not really a good clubhouse guy... and 13 years is a LONG time to deal with a primadonna that gets hurt all the time and doesn't give maximum effort.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma Imagine Breaker

As a Yankees fan I am glad they didn't overpay for Machado or Harper. They need pitching and they got it.

3. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Welp, this Kansas City fan is basically sitting on his hands while hoping for the best and expecting the worst.

I'm glad they've committed to Whit Merrifield. If he produces like he did the past two years, he should be a lock for the All-Star game this year, if at least as a reserve.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Eman7673

Eman7673 Beastly

Needed to sign Corbin though... still pissed about that

5. spikebuster

spikebuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And there goes Peréz for the season.

6. Autob ironhide

Autob ironhide Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Huge Philly guy, I'm super stoked about Las Vegas guy chose Philly over LA and SF, this is huge win for Philadelphia in terms AVV.

7. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Yup. Good thing we have a grade-A catcher in the pipeline. I just hope he's ready for the big time as a reserve for Cam.

8. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am not expecting the Marlins to do better this coming season.

9. Sylent

The Giants Spring Training woes continue with the President and CEO of the team caught on camera in a public verbal and somewhat physical altercation with his wife. He was shown trying to take back his cell phone that his wife took from him, and his wife fell over and screamed, "HELP!" As a result, he took a leave from the team.

It was also reported that one of their potential outfielders was slapped with a DUI in Arizona... like the Giants can afford to lose more outfielders. As currently constructed, the Giants would be fortunate to be a .500 team this year.

10. Sylent

San Francisco Giants CEO, Larry Baer suspended until July 2 for altercation with wife in public.

Giants CEO Larry Baer Suspended By MLB Following Altercation With Wife

From watching the video, I can see why MLB suspended Baer because as a CEO of a billion dollar organization, he should be held to a higher standard, which includes embarrassing public displays according to the code of conduct... BUT, his wife took his phone, didn't give it back, a struggle ensued and she accidentally fell over in the process. He didn't hit or push her, he was trying to take back what was his. What was he supposed to do? Beg for something that belongs to him?

Any guy that is THAT defensive of a phone is probably cheating or has something to hide. Still, as a CEO, he probably has privileged and confidential information on his device, so he's just supposed to let her have it because it's his wife? It kind of sends a mixed message. If someone takes something that belongs to you, let them have it or you will face dire consequences if you try to physically retrieve it.

11. Sylent

• Like Like x 2
  12. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Royals are strongly considering hiring Matt Matheny as manager. He's been hanging out with Dayton and his scouting buddies. Sherman needs to put a stop to Dayton's "Good Ol' Boy Club" right now! Matheny is Yost on steroids - there's a reason the Cards let him go and now they made a playoff run (even if they got swept in the NLCS).

It's like Dayton WANTS the Royals to lose...:banghead: 

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Anyone else watch that game last night? Hindsight is 20:20, but I don't understand why they took Greinke out. He was mowing everyone down.

14. Sylent

15. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Eh I'm kind of over all the Harper stuff. He signed with another team. So what. It happens all the time. No need to keep going after him like he's an ex or something.

16. Sylent

I found it kind of funny, but that's twotter people for you. If you spend that much time and effort trying to publicly humiliate and make someone else miserable, that speaks volumes of your own character. I think Harper got his just-desserts by not making the playoffs on a high-payroll, underachieving team. I was initially bent because he strung the Giants along for weeks which kept them from making other signings, but whatever. "Ball don't lie."

17. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Boy its turning into a bloodbath over the Astro's cheating situation. 3 managers fired now.

Image what it would have been like if they won the WS this year. MLB really dodged a bullet there.

18. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma Imagine Breaker

As a Yankees fan I am pissed because in 2017, the Yanks could have won the World Series. They were cheated. I am sure Dodger fans are also angry about it. I am sure the Dodger fans are mad because Boston Red Sox pulled the same thing in 2018.

19. Sylent

I just wonder how rampant this form of technological cheating is. If you told me that ONLY TWO teams, the Red Sox and Astros were the only ones doing it, I'd call BS. I'm sure it will be eventually revealed that some other teams were doing it too, and it's probably one of the more successful franchises.

Can you see if Altuve is wearing a wire here? After he hit the HR off Chapman, he tells his teammates, "Don't rip my jersey." When the post-game interviewers asked him what that was about, he said something to the effect of "the last time I got in trouble with my wife." FOH! :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Supposedly MLB investigated the wire allegations and found no basis behind it. I'm not sure they have a lot of credibility at this point though (meaning MLB not the allegations)