2013: The Year of No Toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JimTheJIRRMan, Nov 18, 2012.

1. JimTheJIRRMan

JimTheJIRRMan Droop Snoot

News Credits:
    Hi, Guys!

JimTheJIRRMan here with something you may find interesting. I'm planning a large Christmas haul this year, bringing in 5-10 Transformers. There is, however, a catch to this. They will be the last Transformers i can get until 2014.

Next year I am challenging myself, as well as any of you who are willing to try, to a "Year of no Transformers toys" in a manner of speaking. Here's how it goes:

1. I'm not allowed to purchase any Transformers Action figure from January 1, 2013, through December 30, 2013.

2. I am not allowed to ask for any Transformers toys from anyone as a gift in the allotted time.

3. If I receive a transformer as a gift from someone, I am to put it into a chest until the contest is over. No opening it, or displaying it in any fashion. Once a toy enters the chest, it stays for the remainder of the challenge.

4. If I see a transformer I really want, and have the available money to purchase, take the retail value of said figure, and save it in a special place. It'll be a neat surprise to see how much i spend on TFs a year. If I make it through to the end without spending any of it, then I'll use the money for myself. If I break any of the previous rules, then I'll donate all money I have saved to some charitable organization.

This challenge is going to be really difficult, with the new interesting figures coming soon in Beast Hunters and Generations, but It's a challenge I'm willing to try, just to see how long I can last. If any of you are interested too see how long you can last without collecting, try it! You don't have to do it by the same rules as I do. I'll be keeping track of my progress on this board.

I know most of you won't do this, but if you do, let me know down below! And if you aren't going to do this, I'd still love to hear your opinions!

UPDATE: APRIL
    The good news, I've made it 3 months with no purchases or gifts!!

The not-so-good news: I cracked! I was at a special place and saw this. I HAD to pick it up.

I got a Universal Studios Evac!

Went with some friends to Universal Studios Orlando on April 5th, then i saw the gift shop was open. I was a kid in a candy store, and couldn't resist.

So, a few things:

1. I will be donating the 25 dollars I had saved up so far to some charity or person in need. Need time to think of the organization or person, so I'll keep you posted.

2. This doesn't mean that the challenge is over. I wil continue trying to restrain my purchases under the same rules, OTHER than the donation punishment.

3. Thanks for everyone's support, it is a VERY difficult year to try this on, and please feel free to post in this forum if you need support if you are attempting to cut back on collecting a bit.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  2. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome idea. I wish you the best of luck. I actually just went through a year of no Transformers myself. I bought my first figure since November of last year. It was actually a lot easier than I thought it would, because I really did not like any of the Dark of the Moon, FOC, Prime or other figures that came out in that time.

3. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Next, challenge yourself to not make pointless challenges.

Or bait threads. brb getting popcorn.

EDIT - OR rather, why are you even suggesting this, or expecting others to do it? Also what does this have to do with toys themselves, or why did you post it in here instead of the GD area etc? ok NOW popcorn.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  4. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Yea, the only way that would happen for me is if I was getting out of the hobby (which wouldn't be a bad thing on my wallet). There is just too much stuff that I want, that would shoot up in price if I waited a whole year, hell, my preorder for MP Soundwave is at $159, and now BBTS has them at $199. If there is something cool that I have budgeted for, I am buying it. Trying to be a Classics and MP Completionist right now, and this would be a bad time to take a break. If it was only FOC and Prime (or Beast Hunters), then I could do it, but I will snatch up an import/3rd Party/Classic/MP mold in a heartbeat.

5. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I don't get it. I wldnt deprive myself of something that makes me happy ( within reason that is )

6. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I took a two year hiatus from toy collecting when my son was born, but I have no intention of not buying toys unless I am getting out of the hobby. I do have to say though, that with all the 3P toys coming out along with the MP Soundwave + Cassettes, my wallet will be really hurtin' for the next year or two.

7. JimTheJIRRMan

News Credits:
    I see "Pointless challenges" as a distraction from normality. Something to spice up life. I love collecting, but I see myself getting to the point to where I'm starting life, and i need as much money as I can get. TF prices are getting higher. So, I am able to kill two birds with one stone. I love collecting, and TFs make me happy, but I have more than I realized I had. A year to contemplate is a year for me to enjoy what I have right now. When you're collecting, one gets so caught up in what's coming out, that we sometimes forget everything we have. I see myself as needing a break, so why not make it fun? :D 

8. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I understand why you want to do it, but isn't a bit better to learn how to manage your money without having to completely cut out your hobby?

9. JimTheJIRRMan

News Credits:
    Well, that challenge can come next time ^.^

I don't expect anybody to do this at all, rather, this is mainly a place to track my progress through this, in a place where people can see it. If you and other people are not interested, that's fine. If other people are interested, and, even if one or two people maybe even joins me in this quest, this is a place for them to see my progress and comment.

And, this has to do with toys, does it not? If there's a problem with this being on the Toy forum,It'll get moved.

10. JimTheJIRRMan

News Credits:
    I see where you're coming through. chances are, this won't last the full time through, but hey, it's also part of me trying to prove that I don't have a COMPLETE transformers problem. xD I dunno. Just one of those times where you see something that seems almost impossible, and decide: "YOU know what? I'm gonna try anyways!" Who nows, maybe having the guts to actually try and accomplish this challenge for a while might be a gateway for me to do other things I need to do wit my life.

11. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    I challange myself to not challenge myself to not buy my TFs next year. :lol 

12. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I can somewhat appreciate the explanation, but I think again, given the point of the site, you won't be getting a lot of followers. Also, again, not really toy related topic either. I could name my dog Megatron and start a thread about all the times I don't go play fetch with him in 2013, but it's never really going to have anything to do with the toys themselves, yeah?

Either way, enough with the snark and the board police jr routine, think it's a fool's quest and agree with the self-control comment someone made. Also I doubt it can be done anyways, it's called plastic crack for a reason. ;) 

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012
  13. jbot

jbot Disciple of A3

News Credits:
    Whether or not this works out for you, this is a great attitude to have! Best of luck!

14. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    I think this challenge is going to be easy next year and the year after. The economy should begin showing signs of falling off the cliff beginning oh maybe March to June next year. The challenge for most people would be how not to sell, not the other way around.

15. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

You sure, dude? Fort Max and MP Soundwave are bound to go up in price before the year ends.

16. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No thanks, good luck though - I'm sure you have your reasons.

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I wish you good luck. I've not got enough willpower to pull this off myself, but more power to you if you can do it.

18. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Ouch, this sounds....sadistic. Couldn't do it.

19. Flexx Ark

Flexx Ark Original Cyberverse - Yes! New - Meh......

News Credits:
    No issues here. Good luck. I could learn to cut back a bit if not a lot.

20. prime roller

prime roller 昔者莊周夢為胡蝶⋯

News Credits:
    I think I'd rather not spank it for 10 days, but I wouldn't be able to get through that challenge either.

So what if you steal toys? Is that allowed? Or get a shop to hold them for you, or a friend to buy and store them until the challenge is over? There's gotta be a good way to feel like you've succeeded but still cheat to also get the toys.... hmmmm.