"2012" The Year Toys R Us Dominated Transformers!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UltimusPrime, Dec 19, 2012.

1. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    Is it just me or does anyone else feel like that in the year "2012" Toys R Us Dominated Transformers?

With the non stop assault of GDO Figures , First Edition , Masterpiece , and getting many items in before other retailers like the Generations Voyagers and Data Discs. They have really done a number on my wallet the last few months and offered a fair share of great deals , free shipping and bogo.

I think the only other place this year I mainly bought Transformers from was BBTS. Retail has been dead and BBTS and TRU.com have been my savior.

I would also like to mention That in 2011 the Discount Retailers really were the king's of Transformers. With ROTF and Reveal the Shield they figures were reasonably priced and abundant.

In 2013 it is looking like that will be the case again as the Prime figures have already shown up and plenty of DOTM / Prime stuff to go around until Beast Hunters ends sometime in 2014. We can all now build Vehicon Armies on the cheap!

But this is not about discount retailers. This is about Toys R Us. And in 2013 I expect to see the Soundwave Masterpiece and the continuation of the Generations GDO line. What would really be cool though is if they found a way to release "Breakdown" under the Beast Hunters line or even sneak him into First Edition. Or even as a TRU Exclusive.

2. Bossguy

Bossguy Banned

Yes, I hope they bring MP soundwave to the us, as I don't have enough money to dish out for the takara one. About breakdown, they ARE making a cyberverse repaint of bumblebee's armor with a green BREAKDOWN piloting it. So, you never know. I want the GDO line to continue as well, but I hope that target gets more exclusives because I go there more often.

3. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Reveal the Shield was abundant? I can count on one hand the number of times I ever saw deluxes at any location, and big ol' goose eggs on the number of times I saw voyagers or scouts.

On topic, TRU did get a fair bit of business from me this year. My local TRU has been very off and on as far as getting TF's, but I've gotten lucky a few times. Especially with MP-10 and the last BotShot wave. Wal-Mart and Target have been very hit or miss (though I did manage to score a few PRiD Voyagers from Target), so mainly this year it's been TRU and BBTS.

I can only HOPE that MP Soundwave comes to TRU. I'd camp out for that sucker.

4. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    I found about 100 of each of Bumblebee , G2 Optimus , Wreckgar , Tracks , Jazz at Marshalls , Ross , DD's . TJ Maxx , Bealls Outlet , Walgreens.

I only found 2 Windchargers ever. One was smashed up and opened immediately. I found them on the same day at 2 different Ross and I went there everyday for almost a year. I only found Chopsaw twice.

I found maybe 50 Lugnuts , Grapples. For some Reason Strafe and Deep Dive were not as common but sat on the shelves longer at most places.

The legends I found about 200 of each at Bealls Outlet and Tuesday Morning here. They were very common there. I only saw them at TJ Maxx once and I saw them at Marshalls all of the time proballys about 100 of each there.

Only saw RTS Deluxes at regular retail a few times and only found Fallback and Mindset at Kohls and Walgreens.

Walgreens and Kohls both had large selections of RTS stuff throughout the year.

5. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Damn! That's where they all went then! Glad someone was able to find them.

6. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I second the motion!

This year, my money went to : TRU, BBTS, HTS.
    Sorry Target, you suck.

7. Hothouse Prime

Hothouse Prime Not old... Just older.

I found all my late year Prime figures at Target... 4 Vehicons, Kup, Rumble, and Ultra Magnus. The only figures I bought from TRU were the exclusives.

8. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess I meant TRU.com, so basically I'm saying I enjoy hunting online now.
    I def found my Voyager Megs instore, but I don't think I bought a single TF at Target all year.. Crazy!

9. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    TRU domination is cool, on the other hand it shows lack of support from Walmart and Target, not sure that's a good sign for the franchise in the long run.

10. bumblebeeprime2

bumblebeeprime2 Banned

News Credits:
    its true that toysRus have all the exlusives too! instead of target and walmart and kmart! which lattly i been buying my toys transformers, legos too! hope one day all the stores target walmart and kmart have exlusives again!!! but TRU is Domination of everything!!!!

11. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    BBTS is the only other store with exclusives this year other then Amazon and their stuff was mostly imported overstock outside of G2 Bruticus.

TRU saved collecting for me this year. I am happy with all of the figures that came out this year. And FOC Generations and Prime were both great lines. I am excited about the Generations 2013 line and hope they expand it to include more Dinobots and perhaps a Voyager Megatron / Optimus Prime.

12. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, it was the first year I actually got a TRU exclusive Masterpiece at TRU. Hope that happens again.

13. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    I was actually just thinking this past week, "Man, I have a lot of bags from Toys R Us..."

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    2012: The year bellpeppers had enough of waiting for GDO's to return to his local TRU (and anything new anywhere) and finally resorted to ordering online.

15. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

It won't be long before transformers will only be available at TRU

16. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    And for the most part, it was nice to see that the exclusives (outside of maybe MP Optimus) have been pretty easy to obtain either online or in store at TRU. The one near my house has been spotty on some items, but not terrible overall.

17. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Kinda wondering how TRU got Soundwave/Soundblaster before BBTS...that almost never happens!

18. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's not just you. Toys-R-Us was simply the place to go for Transformers this year. I've often wondered if Hasbro offered exclusives to the other retailers and they just weren't interested, or what.

Yeah, that's where they all went.
    [​IMG]

19. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    It's mostly this. It's also cool how not having to wrestle with all retailers and cut so many costs, the GDOs mostly had very nice paint apps and were more than just lazy repaints. Some people criticize them but they're full of little details that you don't immediately notice, that show a lot of love and effort.

20. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Depending on territory, your mileage may vary. On this side of the Atlantic they've been fairly lacklustre, with very little from Prime outside of Wave 1 Deluxes (Wave 3 turned up, but was hard to find). Combined with the ongoing farce surrounding Masterpiece releases (No TC, still waiting for them to get OP out on shelves). I've sent very little business TRU's way this year.