1x$180 or 3x$60?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by dirtmodeler, Oct 19, 2016.

1. dirtmodeler

dirtmodeler Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone else have a hard time dropping over $100 on a figure?

I look at the math, and i can snag 3 figures at $60 each over the course of a few weeks and not really bat an eye... but i just can't seem to pull the trigger on some of the more expensive figures topping $100.

I know i'm going to have to eventually. MP10, MP Soundwave Reissue, Carnifex, and eventually some 3P dinobot team will have to be on my shelf.. but it's something about that $100 barrier i have a hard time breaking.

i was just curious if anyone else has the same apprehensions?

2. alex1984

alex1984 Well-Known Member

I can relate to this, but at a different budget level, as I don't regularly pick up $60 figs. I have not problem justifying a $100+ figure, as most of the time, it's something that I consider to be the "Ultimate/Definitive" version of a character. However, normally it just needs to go through a more extensive vetting process.

3. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    According to my own buying no. In my younger days probably, but nowadays I prefer paying for something that I would really like rather than spending money to buy something mediocre. If I do the later, I'd probably sell it off anyway and lose money in the process. There is an opportunity cost to regret.

• Like Like x 3
  4. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Exact opposite problem I can't usually find a figure under $80 I want and most of the time I am buying something extra just to hit $150 free shipping, cause otherwise I'm just wasting money right?

5. barok

barok Well-Known Member

20161019_133004 (1).jpg I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I really don't have disposable income but when I do have a lil extra, I would get what I really want, or been wanting. For example, I've been wanting MP Magnus but he's been in the back of the line since day 1. I just got it a few days ago. I had a choice of either getting him for 140 used or 4 MP KO cars used for 120. I chose Magnus. Another example is CW Devy, I bought him when released for a little over 100. A little disappointed on articulation and hollowness but hey, it was affordable. I added XS001 upgrade and it's a lot better, for now. Maybe someday Toyworld Constructor will replace it. I really want that Constructor but cant shell out 600 for the set. So it's really a personal preference. I say buy what you like and what you will enjoy without breaking the bank especially if you have more important financial priorities. I got 2 young ones with my wife and at the same time still paying alimony and child support from the ex. Life's a b!tch, otherwise I'd have a huge collection, for now, this is all I got.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  6. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

As someone who recently dropped $400 on Maketoys' Pandinus... no. At this point I prefer to have one big figure instead of several smaller ones.

7. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Quality over quantity.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Big Bronze Rim

Big Bronze Rim ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Moderator

I'm in the same boat. Rarely do I find a figure that's under $100 that I want. The $100 price category seems to be the norm for most purchases. Once stuff exceeds the $150-160 mark, I generally know I want it and am perfectly willing to spend the money. I'm of the mind also that I'd rather have a couple of expensive figures that I want vs. a lot of figures that are just ok.

9. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Size and diecast beats quantity everytime. Make it big and make it heavy, and they'll come.

10. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    $200 is the new red line for me, I passed the $100 mark a long, long time ago.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Big Bronze Rim

Big Bronze Rim ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Moderator

Yeah, once stuff goes past $200, convincing myself becomes a bit harder. I really want Pandinus, but do I want it $400 bad.

12. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

I'm of the mind that I'd rather save for one high quality figure rather than three medium quality figures. I usually go for one or two high quality figures a year. Last year it was CW Bruticus (who was a bit of a let-down), but this year it's going to be Carnifex and hopefully UW Devestator next year.

13. dragontype

dragontype Well-Known Member

I think what you feel about the $ 100.00 mark is totally normal. With $ 100.00, I can pay my water, gas, and electricity bill. And those are sort of necessities whereas collecting toys is a hobby. (Though some may argue collecting toys is a necessity.) :p 

I'm totally apprehensive when paying above $ 50.00 for a figure, let alone $ 100.00. But I look at my collecting as a luxury, and not necessarily a necessity. I allow myself a certain amount money a month to this hobby. Anything I don't spend that month, rolls over to the next month. Keeping a budget helps reduce the apprehension of spending on my hobby.

14. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

If having more cheaper toys is your priority, why not go for CHUG?

15. dirtmodeler

dirtmodeler Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well, it's not that i can't afford it per se? (if i save a bit). Like, i've recently picked up Warbotron Turbo-Ejector, Fansproject Code and Smartrobin.... each of them were ~100/ea when they first came out.. but i waited until i could find a deal on them from a trusted source before i got them off the BST forums here at a substantial discount.

The most expensive single figures i have are two of the Generation Toy Devastator bots ($95/ea).. I got into this whole 3P thing on a Black Friday deal on Quantron for $229, and it's kind of blown up from there!

When Titans Return came out, the prices of Fansproject stuff dropped like a brick.. between TFSource weekly deals, and the BST market, i've almost got the set complete at 1/3rd of what they were when they first came out...

I'm not sure what i'm going to get next..... DX9 Mightron? MP10? Carnifex? MP Soundwave? all of em' are over $100, so i'm thinking i'll be crashing that barrier myself as well...

16. Insectabot

Insectabot Well-Known Member

Yup me too. Pretty sad how quick that happened too

17. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

When I figured out that I wanted to collect 3Ps, I started taking 50$ out of every paycheck. I had to drop some other stuff (I won't go out to eat as often, make my own coffee, etc) but it's worth it in the pursuit of perfection.

That's a pretty mild budget as far as 3Ps go, though. I only spend about 1200-2000$ a year on Transformers total.

18. mephinc

mephinc Well-Known Member

I used to shudder at the idea of spending $15 on a figure...Then I got my first masterpiece... Then I dove head first into third party.

Anymore now with around 600 figures, it's a matter of justifying shelf space more than anything. Lol

19. Kevin Iaquinto

Kevin Iaquinto Saving the World, 1 VPN at a time...

News Credits:
    After swallowing the thought of spending $190 on MP-10, I've stopped caring. I didn't think twice last night when I bought fort max.

20. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Pfffffft, 300 bones for an original MP 9 people. When I had money, no price was too high if I really wanted it. I'd still look for a good deal if I could find one though.